PIC controlled 12v waveform generator

Greetings,

I'm trying to design a waveform generator for some cold-cathode neon computer lights. I would like this to go from 0 to 1000 or maybe

10,000 Hz, and be able to drive four sets of lights in synchronous delay. I'm thinking something like a PIC to drive some 2N3055 transistors I have, and I found a nice 12VDC/30W (from mains) supply. Does anyone have experience with a similar circuit? I looking for possible PIC advice, or an alternative circuit or IC to drive the 2N3055's. If I'm reading the spec right, transition region for these transistors will be around 0 - 0.4v if I'm drawing around 0.5A per set of lights. Do I need some sort of diode to protect the transistors? I need to figure out how to build in a variable resistor or capacitor to provide a knob to adjust frequency. Any help is appreciated!

Ryan

Reply to
ryan

The '3055 is a relatively low beta transistor, hfe can be as low as 5 and and the PIC may not be able to source enough current. Use a PIC to drive a small switching transistor that controls the gate of a power MOSFET. A switching supply MOSFET would be a good choice...in fact, take a look at the IRF and ONSEMI websites for the gate-drive methods.

Reply to
Johnson

Hi,

The lamps are two per set, with each set being driven by a high-frequency inverter that runs on 12vdc, and they have a nice growing / shrinking effect as you vary the voltage to the inverter. You can check them out at

I didn't realize the 3055's had such a low beta. I suppose I can use a MOSFET driver approach, but I'm not seeing the relevant pages at the IRF or ONSEMI websites. My training is more computer engineering than electrical, so I'm struggling a little here... Can someone point me to the appropriate gate-drive pages? I'm also thinking a push-button approach to changing the frequency would be better, and a PIC input should be able to accomodate that... Anyone have a favorite flavor of PIC / PIC-programmer that they recommend? I've only worked with PICs a limited amount and it was a few years ago.... Forgive me for being such an amatuer!

Ryan

Reply to
ryan

Which lamps in particular are you dealing with, and how many lamps per "set"?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Thought I'd look up PNP signal transistors, like the plastic equivalent of the 2N2907, maybe the 390x or 440x (I can never remember which of those is which), and decided to check Radio Shack - I've seen 10-packs there before, for pretty reasonable, given the convenience. So, I go to their website, and do a search on 'pnp transistor', and the first hit is MPS2907, at $0.69 ea, with a picture of a TO-220.

Idiots.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

5 and

drive a

look at the

equivalent

those

their

MPS2907,

I was noting the 2n3906 as being _similar_ to 2n3904 according to them. That TIP42 with 65W dissipation and an Ic max of 6.0mA is interesting too. I didn't realize it was such a high voltage transistor. ;-)

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

ummmm, ok.....

So is there anything similar to the 3055, with a slightly higher beta that could be run from a PIC? I only need to switch about 500mA at 12v (~6W at peak) per transistor. The MOSFET idea is fine, but then I have to balance two transistors in their transition region, which seems harder... Is it really so complicated to get a simple 12v waveform?

Ryan

Reply to
ryan

I'm trying to get the lights to phase on and off, not just jump from the on/off states. So like a sine wave, but above 0v. This way they have a cool growing/shrinking effect, as they turn on from one end to the other. So I need to operate the transistors in the transition region... I'll check out the IR* parts you recommended... thanks!

Reply to
ryan

Exactly what kind of "waveform" are you looking for? If you just want a squarish wave, then a MOSFET is a piece of cake. You don't have to really worry about bias. MOSFETs are nice because the gate (base equiv) is a voltage controlled junction, not current controlled. In fact the input impedance of the MOSFET is so high that you can assume that it is basically infinite. The "on resistance" Rds(on) can be very low. So low, in fact, that you can switch very large amounts of current without needing a heatsink.

When I'm tinkering, I like to use NTE2985 parts. These are way overkill for switching 500mA, but for tinkering around they are just fine. These transistors can switch 30A with an Rds(on) of .05 ohms with 5V drive applied to the gate. Do the math, the dissipation is very, very small for even large currents. I love these things. ;-) The other important thing about these parts is that they are known as "logic level" MOSFETs. This means that the gate is turned fully on with less than 5V. Google on "logic level mosfet" and have fun.

For smaller currents, others should be able to recommend cheaper, smaller parts. I believe the IRF510, IRF520 and IRF530 might be interesting to you. Digikey sells the IRF510 for about a $1 in single quantities and can handle something like 5A, but the Rds(on) is about 10 times as high as the NTE2985 (~.5 ohms). I only used the NTE parts because that was what a vendor had in stock and I got a decent price on them. I was actually looking for something else at the time, but NTE cross reffed the part to the NTE298x series, so that's what I bought. ;-)

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

You use PWM, and ramp up and down the PW control value. Especially with a PIC. and Especially especially if you're talking about a 2N3055 to drive an LED!

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

wrote

Aha, well then I suppose that you _can_ do it that way, but how about if we just turn the bulb full on and full off really fast instead (hundreds of times per second)? Then by varying the ratio of on time to off time over seconds of time, you get a varying brightness in the bulb. Google up PWM (pulse width modulation), it's what you really want to do. ;-)

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Hi,

I am interested in capturing the slow "growing" effect that you see when the voltage is ramped up, where the light actually fills the tubes from one end to the other. This is an effect that can only be seen at approx. 1 Hz or slower, with a sine wave type input. I'm hoping to also get the higher frequency thing working also, so I'm looking for a frequency range of 0-1000 or 0-10000 Hz, with a fine control of the frequency at slower than 1 Hz... I'm going to try playing with the PIC PWM control value and writing some BASIC or whatever to control the frequency modulation and control method. I'm still nervous the PIC won't source enough current for the 3055's, but I'll check out the IRF510, IRF520 and IRF530 transistors when I get time. I'm not too experienced with PIC design, does anyone have recommendations for a (simple or cheap) PIC / programmer package to use for this project?

Reply to
ryan

that should work ok, though not with a sine input of course, unless your circuit has a bridge rectified input.

for what? The reservoir will turn 1kHz into dc, and if you removed that to modulate the bulb at 1kHz I dont think you'd see anything but a lit bulb.

It wont, use a darlington if you dont want to buy the fets.

NT

Reply to
meow2222