oscilloscope and waveform generator combo recommendation

Anyone have a recommendation for an entry level oscillscope and waveform generator? I was looking at Saelig and they have a Rigol combo for ~$850 and also an Owon combo for ~$700. Both scopes are advertised as 100 MHz.

Scot

Reply to
scot

generator? I was looking at Saelig and they have a Rigol combo for ~$850 and also an Owon combo for ~$700. Both scopes are advertised as 100 MHz.

Look at that, it's also a meter :)

P.S. I never knew Rigol amd Ownen had combo's..

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

generator?  I was looking at Saelig and they have a Rigol combo for ~$850 and also an Owon combo for ~$700.  Both scopes are advertised as 100 MHz .

I guess I'd go with the Rigol. I just got a DG1022 $379 (20MHz sine) today. The DG1022A $499 goes to 25MHz, but for $100+ more? (Isn't the 'scope ~$400??) I played with it a bit.. there were lots of built in arbs, none seemed that useful to me. Arb's I'd like to have... (kinda like EE apps?) Multiple pulse sequences, Noise source with LF and HF adjustable limits, I could try programming..???

It does have trig/burst and modulation bnc inputs on the back. (I haven't tried either.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

generator? I was looking at Saelig and they have a Rigol combo for ~$850 and also an Owon combo for ~$700. Both scopes are advertised as

100 MHz.

I have a Rigol scope and like it. I suspect the Owon may have a larger display. there are some reports that the Rigols are easier to use but that may be a familiarity issue. Similar to the differences between Tek and LeCroy instruments.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

generator? I was looking at Saelig and they have a Rigol combo for ~$850 and also an Owon combo for ~$700. Both scopes are advertised as 100 MHz.

I just bought an Owon SDS7102E for my son. The display is nice--big and bright. I don't mind the UI too much, but it isn't the most sensitive thing in the world--it goes down only to 20 mV/div even in x1 mode, and forces you into the 20 MHz bandwidth limit mode to get there. I expect that's because they're only using one feedback amp, and it runs out of GBW. It does have a 10 MB memory per channel, which is very good, and for $60 you can get a battery for it.

Somebody posted a video review on Dave Jones' forum site, links to a review by somebody else,

who points out that its scan rate is equal to the screen update rate, i.e. 10 or 20 Hz, so glitch capture is sloooow. Unlike his, mine came with Ethernet as well as USB host and device. (That's probably why the E at the end of the model number on mine.)

So it's fine for slowish digital stuff, if you can do your glitch capture in 10 million points, but don't use it for low level analogue.

I think the mixed-signal model for $729 would be worth a look for a small shop or hobby budget. I don't have a logic analyzer, and it would occasionally be very helpful. Unfortunately it looks like that one doesn't do any serial bus decoding, which is mostly what I'd want it for.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

At a previous job, I used a Saleae Logic

(24 megasamples per sec, 8 channels) and it worked well. It is not what you would use to (say) design a motherboard for a 2 GHz CPU, but it was good for what I wanted. I was using it to monitor a TTL-level serial bus. I recorded the data on one PC, then loaded it into another, told the Logic software "this is 8N1 serial", and it decoded the bits into bytes. It also knows I2C, SPI, and similar formats.

It needs a host computer to run; if it can't dump data into the PC fast enough, the software will tell you, and offer to back off the sampling rate. The software is in Java and it will work on both Linux and legacy systems. You can use a low-spec/old PC to capture with, but for analyzing long capture files, it helps to use the biggest PC you can get your hands on.

Standard disclaimers apply; I don't get money or other consideration from any companies mentioned.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Interesting gizmo, thanks. I might get one.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

generator?

You could have a look at TiePie engineering USB oscilloscopes, such as the Handyscope HS5 oscilloscope with arbitrary waveform generator.

Key specifications of the oscilloscope:

2 channels, 14 bit, 500 MS/s, 250 MHz bandwidth, 20 MS/s 14 bit continuous gap free streaming, 32 MS memory per channel, 1 ppm time base accuracy.

Key specifications of the Arbitrary Waveform Generator:

1 µHz to 30 MHz waveforms, 240 MS/s, 14 bit, 64 MS memory, -12 to 12 V ou tput (24 Vpp), 1 ppm time base accuracy.

See:

-

-

m.plat

generator?

Handyscope HS5 oscilloscope with arbitrary waveform generator.

free streaming, 32 MS memory per channel, 1 ppm time base accuracy.

(24 Vpp), 1 ppm time base accuracy.

Looks like a nice gizmo. Pity about the 50 ps jitter spec, though--that blows up the 14-bit resolution anywhere above

f_jit = 1/(2*pi*2**14*50e-12) ~ 200 kHz.

Seems like with a nice stable clock you could resynchronize and get the jitter down by another order of magnitude at least.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

A bit pricy for the number of channels. The Intronix LogicPort is a better buy in terms of cost per channels. I suppose 8 channels is enough for some apps. I would want at least 9 channels so I could monitor an 8 bit bus and a strobe or clock.

34 channels for
Reply to
rickman