Pete Seeger, RIP...

Sure, I don't listen to songs if they disturb me.

Lot's of other nice songs though (he didn't really write many songs, just performed them.) part of the folk singing tradition.

OK maybe Clint isn't a good example. (I don't pay much atention to popular culture, no cable TV.) So the only other example I can think of is Rush Limbaugh. ~15 years ago I would work 2nd shift at the FEL. And I'd listen to Rush driving in. I didn't agree with him alot, but he'd crack me up at times. (Can you think of another conservative political entertainer???)

I don't know if it's unfortunate or not. (In some ways it's nice to learn about life from hearing about others mistakes, rather than having to make them yourself.)

It's hard to know if the personal trouble in life leads to the art, or if it's the fame/ power that leads to abuse. (I'm now thinking about politicians who succumb to the power.)

Re: unions, I know it's not politically allowed in the current climate, but I'm pretty much neutral when it comes to unions. Some good and some bad. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Fair enough, I don't listnen to gangster rap. (Till last night I hadn't listened to Pete for 10's of years.)

Hmm, well of course he doesn't preach. But a sense of who is certainly comes across in some of the movies he directs. Mind you I like Clint, and so I enjoy the art. (I'm mostly thinking of Gran Torino, but other movies too.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 12:32:43 -0800, John Larkin Gave us:

Capra film "Meet John Doe".

Twilight zone episode about a neighborhood crowd turning on one of their own.

Can't remember that title.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Democracy Now did an episode on Robeson too.

Might as well put in the links for Billy Bragg on Democracy Now:

Reply to
miso

Another bad example. Rush's job *is* political or ideological, depending on how you look at it. You rarely see him elsewhere and never testifying before Congress, or such.

Of course not. You agree with them.

Again, a poor corollary.

All bad, in the current climate, under the current laws.

Reply to
krw

You really are one of the stupidest people on the planet, slowman.

Reply to
krw

Rush calls himself "an entertainer", which aligns with his opiate addiction.

See the pattern?

Precision electronic instrumentation

No I don't. He's a political/social commentator. That *is* his job and he rarely, if ever, goes outside his program or writings.

BTW, his addiction was from pain prescription over-use. It's not uncommon.

BTW, I used to like listening to him (before he was national, in fact) but for the past decade or so, he hasn't been nearly as funny and a bit tired.

Reply to
krw

The pattern is that artists, musicians, entertainers, "people people", tend to have chaotic personal lives, and tend to be addicted to cigarettes, weed, alcohol, opiates, and sex. It has to do with feeling more than thinking.

What is it called, the 26 club or the 29 club or something? Show-biz types who OD'd in their late 20's.

This is a bad bunch of people to make important decisions about practically anything.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Is that truly suportable, or just 'selective' data memory?

Certainly yields a great justification for me NOT being an artist!

Reply to
RobertMacy

I think it's fairly supportable.

The fact that I have no artistic ability, is a better reason.

Reply to
krw

Other than the Oxy thing, I don't think you can pin any that on him. OK, he has been divorced (twice?).

Not sure the last sentence is valid, either.

Sure, but not because of who they are. The fact that they have a skill doesn't mean they have a brain. I'll go as far as art thought, though.

Reply to
krw

wn. Krw "knows" that what he knows is right, and mere evidence isn't going to persuade him to change his point of view.

rom what krw "knows" to be correct. He hasn't yet realised that he can some times get things wrong.

I've got my name on a couple of patents - but then again so does krw (even if his are really stupid patents). It seems that the people who accepted my Ph.D. thesis must be a few more of the experts that krw feels happy to ign ore.

Krw isn't 100% reliably wrong - so being called stupid by him isn't actuall y an endorsement - but he's wrong so frequently that it doesn't have any si gnificance, and I probably ought not to have made the tactical error of res ponding at all - which is taking him more seriously than he deserves. On th e other hand I do feel an obligation to remind the group just how frequentl y, and how blatantly, he does get things wrong.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Seems to a resemblance here.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Slowman: Are you honestly pretending that having patents means you are a genius? Utter crap has been granted patents. Go back to bragging about your raw IQ, or bogus stories that you think prove that you don't have Aspergers, freako.

Reply to
Greegor

It's a bit difficult for really stupid people to get patents. Even if the c ontent is rubbish - and there's quite a lot of that about, as in krw's pate nts - process isn't trivial. It's certainly true that having a patent doesn 't prove that you are a genius - krw has several - and I can't imagine wher e you got the idea that it might. Your reading comprehension is poor, and y ou couldn't reason your way out of paper-bag, but it still represents an ex traordinary degree of misapprehension, even for somebody as confused as you are.

I don't consider a high score on an IQ test to be something to brag about - Mensa is the organisation that collects people who score well on IQ tests but have otherwise failed to distinguish themselves. It's probably evidence that you aren't actually stupid, but that's as far as I'd go - and not bei ng stupid doesn't stop people from doing stupid things that happen to be gr atifying at the time, like responding to your half-witted posts.

ko.

I don't need bogus stories to prove that. You'd need much better evidence t han you've got - or a likely to be able to find, since it doesn't exist - t o "prove" that I had Asperger's. At least I'm still alive, so someone could examine me for for symptoms of the disease.

Most of the people whom you claim exhibited symptoms consistent with Asperg er's Syndrome are dead, and in no position to demonstrate that they had dif ferent kinds of problems.

I'm afraid that it's you who qualifies as the obsessive=compulsive freak, seeing Asperger's Syndrome everywhere you look.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

To whom? I get things wrong from time to time, and have been known to admit it. Search on "Oops" for examples. The most recent one was on the 20th January 2014.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

And only true for some people!

--
M0WYM
Sales @ radiowymsey

What rubbish, he was an old fashioned American patrician, a man who cared for the poor and deprived whatever their politica. A thoroughly good man

- the world needs more like him and less neo-colonial rightwing nutjobs.

--
M0WYM
Sales @ radiowymsey
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Sales-At-Radio-Wymsey/
http://sales-at-radio-wymsey.ebid.net/
Reply to
Wymsey

Those nutjobs who think you need to work for a living? ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at