pc with auto power-up

Ooh, nice. I just ordered an Opt 755 through Amazon. $129.

These newsgroups are useful, now and then.

We recently bought all new Dell 5810 towers with Raid and stuff, Win

  1. One did get hijacked to W10, and I think we uninstalled it. Mine runs LT Spice about 4x faster than my old HP.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Hi, John:-

I've done two builds of desktop machines in the past 6 months and both had the BIOS option to start up on power failure. The most recent one (yesterday) was a fairly inexpensive MSI LGA1151 motherboard (Z170A-Pro) $115 USD at Newegg. You can stick a Skylake i3 or i5 (or i7) in there and have a pretty fast machine that will run W10 or W7 just fine. On-board graphics so you don't have to buy a video card- just need a good PSU, some RAM, a CPU and a case (the CPU comes with an okay cooler). (The first mombo one was more state-of-the-art Gigabyte and way more than you probably need). The newest processors run really cool and fast with excellent system power managment (the fancy one even had a BIOS option to tone it back if the PSU was driven squirrely by the fast power changes)

You probably just want to buy a box- around here the local computer stores (primarily aimed at gamers, bless their chubby little souls*) will assemble and test a box with the CPU, mombo etc. of your (or their) choice for nominal fee ($50 CAD) provided you buy the components from them. They'll price match component prices so there's no downside if you won't want to get someone's hands dirty.

Here's one example set of components for $534 (an i5 is $622)

Worth going in to those places just for the nice clickey-clack 'Cherry' keyboards of various color-coded force levels.

Here's the manual entry from the MSI mombo

---------------

** Restore after AC Power Loss [Power Off]**

Sets the system behaviors while encountering the AC power loss. [Power Off] Leaves the system in power off state after restoring AC power. [Power On] Boot up the system after restoring AC power. [Last State] Restores the system to the previous state (power on/ power off) before AC power loss.

--------------

** I figure gamers are the main market that is driving PC development, so us engineering types don't have to carry the whole freight for fast CPUs and good graphics.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

The old system is a mini-ITX. When I bought it the seller confirmed the bios powerup option.

I chatted with a Dell rep and finally got him to understand my requirement for a *cheap* *small* box with the powerup thing. He suggested a $700 monster that would keep the cabin warm.

Based on more sensible chat in sed, I ordered this:

If it works OK, I'll get a spare.

This is probably more compute power than existed in the world in 1960.

lunatic fringe electronics

I've had rather miserable luck with battery life on laptops running three weather stations. The problem is that the LiIon laptop batteries do NOT enjoy running at full charge and warm temperatures and will protest by making an early exit. One battery deteriorated to about half capacity in about 9 months. I haven't tested the others yet: Most current laptops have a "battery life extender" feature that charges the battery to about 50%, but that wasn't available on older laptops:

Chromebooks do run a long time running on battery power. My Acer C720 will run for about 4 hrs of continuous light use. That's sufficiently long that I don't need to drag the charger with me. However, I'm not sure I would use a Chromebook for a temperature logger and camera server. The problem is that one can't stop Chrome OS from updating when Google feels the need. Also, a reboot is required to install the Chrome updates.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Won't work for me. On mine first to have to select which drive to boot from and then the OS because there is an old W2000 partition on there. I really should clean that up but there is software on there I simply cannot get anymore.

Reply to
jurb6006

om:

om and then the OS because there is an old W2000 partition on there. I real ly should clean that up but there is software on there I simply cannot get anymore.

can't set it up to default to one of them if you don't choose within few se conds?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Again this morning...

"We noticed you logged into Dropbox using Firefox on Windows XP from Gilbert, AZ, United States* at 11:45 AM GMT-07:00."

Access was via Firefox v47.0.1 from a Win7 Pro machine. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

  1. As I recall, you were intentionally running an antique version of Firefox for some long forgotten reason. Is this still the case, or is my memory failing me? If it is old, upgrade or live with the consequences.
  2. Try DropBox again with a different web browser (IE, Chrome, whatever) and see if it does the same thing.
  3. If a different browser works, then you have some kind of user agent switcher: installed in Firefox.
  4. Are you running Firefox in Compatibility Mode? Right click on whatever icon you're using to start Firefox and select Properties -> Compatibility Uncheck the "compatibility mode" box.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

It apparently was compatibility mode, dating back from a much earlier version. v47.0.1 is next to latest, just updated to v48.0 ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

So, what are you using for an operating system and boot manager? They all have a default partition from which to boot, and a settable timeout in case you're asleep at the switch. If Windoze: If Linux:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Raspberry pi runs win 10, prolly not th camera software though.

Jasen Betts

What camera software? I once tried a Raspberry camera module on a Raspberry Pi 1 and besides the software that comes with it (that can do snapshots and record movies) I also found software that makes it behave as a network camera, similar to an Axiscam etc, with a website where you can control the thing and view the camera output.

Reply to
Rob

I'm running Yawcam to post an outdoor pic (to the Dropbox folder) every 5 minutes. I have a cheapish Logitec USB cam on 75 feet of chained active and passive extender cables.

It would be nice to get a cam that has better sunlight/nighttime behavior, especially at low temperature.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

You would think, but that is an elcheapo Foxconn board. Plus it is not even set to auto power up after and outage even. But I am not using it to monitor anything. It just serves some files usually, and functions as my bench PC for schematics etc.

Soon I'll have to ask about extending wifi range because when I take the laptop out to the garage it won't pick it up with the (metal) doors closed. Tired of burning CDs for when we go out there to smoke.

Reply to
jurb6006

I recently bought a pair of Optiplex 780 computers for $40 each. They used DDR3 RAM, and can take up to 16 GB. These have quad core 2.33 GHZ processors, and had 2 GB of RAM I installed a pair of 500 GB drives in one, and I have a pair of 320GB drives for the second system. I currently have two Mini Tower, two Desktop and one Small Form Factor 780 computers. One of the Mini Tower systems has a quad 3.0 GHz processor and a pair of 1 TB drives. All are running win 7 Pro, except the last of the new systems which will be a test bed for various Linux distros.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No, you don't. You just have to made the Pi's hard disk accessable to YFWS (your favourate MS-WINDOWS (tm) System.). That is not a term project.

Groetjes Albert

Albert van der Horst

I have an Optiplex 7020... works great.

I think some UPS's with their included software are capable of doing that with almost any PC.

Are you outages long enough that a UPS couldn't handle it without a shutdown cycle? ...Jim Thompson

The cute little refurbed 755 works great. It even has a real RS-232 port, so I don't need a USB adapter to talk to my automation stuff. I think I'll buy a spare.

Outages are erratic. A big storm could take things out for days. I could use a laptop with internal batteries, but I've never found a laptop that would start up again after a long blackout. The BIOSs never support that for some reason.

We felt an earthquake up there last trip, too.

lunatic fringe electronics

Most modern BIOSes allow you to specify what the machine will on the reapplication of power *after* LOSING power: stay off, resume state at the time power was lost, turn on.

Additionally, most will allow you to set an "alarm clock" that turns the machine on at a given time of day.

And, you can *possibly* arrange for a "magic packet" (though this requires some careful configuration to arrange to deliver it from a remote location).

Also requires the "internet modem" to be powered up and operational.

Reply to
Don Y

I have three Optiplex 755 machines, all running XP. By todays standards, they are rather slow. So, I maxed them out to the limitations of the hardware and OS. I suggest you do the same.

  1. Replace the E6550 2.3GHz CPU with an E8500 3.16GHz or E8600 3.3GHz CPU. About on ebay: The increased CPU speed is nice, but the 6MB L2 cache is what delivers the speed.
  2. The Amazon advert says it has 4GB of DDR3 RAM. The 755 only takes DDR2. It would be interesting to see what's actually installed. If you're running a 64 bit operating system (Win 7, 8.1, or 10), I suggest you increase the RAM to 8GB using 2GB sticks. About for
4x2GB PC2-6400.

  1. Replace the 500GB drive with an SSD. I typically see 3x to 5x increase in overall performance. I suggest a Samsung 850 EVO drive. About 0.