No longer in my ears

I have a pair of Bose Hearphones, cheaper than hearing aids.

I only use it at meetings (which I don't go to because of Corona) and to watch Law & Order on TV (because all the other shows are loud enough but it's not.)

The device consists of a yoke with the on/off button, two leds, a charging jack, and the battery, and two earbuds.

Each earbud has 3 microphones, they say**, and when being put in my ears they sometimes squeal, which the manual says is normal. Feedback, I guess.

The question is, when both buds are no longer in my ears, the device waits a while and turns off.

How does it know that the earbuds are no longer in my ears?

**And it can be set to amplify what's in front, what's in front and to the sides, and sounds from all diretions, so it probably does have 3 mikes per ear.

As good as this might sound, there are one or two other competitors. Before I bought this I googled but didn't find them. One will play the last 10 seconds back again, and iirc will play the last 10 seconds at reduced speed. I'd feel real bad that I didn't get that one, except I probably wouldn't use those things, at least at a lecture. If I were in the market, I'd look at the others before buying any of them.

Reply to
micky

I was going to say because it can no longer shine a light from ear bud to the other...

One obvious approach would be temperature or capacitance.

Reply to
Rod Speed

"News articles caution that there may be a link between Bluetooth wireless headphones like AirPods and cancer, but not all experts agree on the potential health health risks of wireless earbuds."

Infrared Headphones vs Bluetooth Aspectcms.com

bruce bowser

This is about one of the other companies, the one that replays.

And it turns out they don't make mine anymore ;-( but they'er still for sale reconditioned, and much cheaper than I paid. Although the battery has been cycled many times maybe.

And I hadn't even thought about it, but this does have bluetooth, and even though i never use it, there's no way to turn it off.

Reply to
micky

I almost never use the app that goes with it but I used it yesterday and saw it has indicators that show which ears have the buds in them.

It only takes 2 or 3 seconds for it to know when I take one out or put it back in!!

Reply to
micky