Patent on my invention?

I invented this spoon with a light on it sos you can eat ice cream in the dark. How do I go about gettin a patent on it and a marketing plan?

-- Steve Chaney snipped-for-privacy@NRsmykicktoy.pacman.nut Remove "NRismykicktoy" to get my real email address

"it must shock you that i'm a college dropout." - Me

See a crappy website at the soc.singles HALL OF STUPID:

"Too late I understood that when you mate with a 400 lb woman, you can get thrown."

- Me on my Wedding night

By forging me NR admits he is my owner

"The lower half of one black man is worth ten complete white men." - My friend Lady Veteran wants my weiner and hates on whitey.

"BLAGHABLAGHA BLAGHA BLAGHA"- My crazy friend Rauni deals with the medication

ATTENTION, Tammy Chaney! I am jealous of your pink cadillac and prosperous job selling make-up. Do you have any positions open?

Mike Cranston is guilty of making all of usenet laugh at my expense and scaring me so terribly I'll never cross the California state line.

Here's how to contact the appropriate law enforcement agencies to seek justice against me for poisoning puppies:

Steve Chaney, Still touching t

If you find out I'd like to patent my solar powered flashlight.

Reply to
Fjiluk The Hogfish-Beater

You already mucked it up. You have to apply for a patent before telling anyone. Otherwise if the patent application arrives after a public discussion, it can be considered state of the art, public domain and such.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

No, he still has 365 days (next year is a leap year), at least for a US patent.

--
  Keith
Reply to

So does everybody else on earth, whether they read this NG or not. The OP published the idea and he has to prove that he came up with the idea first.

Reply to
linnix

It is pointless anyway unless he has buyers lined up. If he just wants the ego-boost of getting a patent, it's easier to file a design patent.

My advice: NEVER patent anything unless you already have (or are certain that you will have..) customers. Period. End of story.

Well, almost. Even if you do have customers lined up, it's still no guarantee of success!

But - I think if you can get that spoon to illuminate using some of the calorie content of the ice cream..... dieters around the world will flock to your door.(?)

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Glowing ice cream spoon???...Hey!....That's go great with my glowing ice cream bowl. :P What about a glowing fork, glowing knife, glowing plates,glowing mugs, glowing urinals....heck just make everything glow! D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

I'd check with a patent guy, but on the face of it, I'd say it can't be patented, unless by a design patent.

When all someone has to do is duct-tape a penlight to a spoon, that's probaboly not patent material.

And it's not a very good idea anyway - the light points in your eyes as you direct the spoon toward your mouth. Better to just duct-tape the flashlight to your head. ;-)

Or adhesive aluminum tape, for you foil-hatters. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

the

Anything he pusblishes here is pretty good proof that he thought of it first.

OTOH, he has to fully disclose his invention, which either he hasn't, or it's too trivial to be patent-worthy, IMO. (That is, it'd better have some non-obvious aspects he hasn't specified, either implementation, configuration, ...something.)

A perfect complement to my masochist's teakettle(tm)?

(view in Courier) _____ |_ _| ____| |____ / \\ ___|-------------| \\ | \\ | __ \\ | / _\\| | / / \\| | | | | | | | | | \\ \\__| | \\__/| | | | '--------------'

Cheers! James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

Actually, he doesn't have to prove he invented it first. Someone challenging the patent would have to prove *they* invented it. He also has evidence of publication. You better have something prior to that. ;-)

--
  Keith
Reply to

Besides, even if it is "different", it is something that is obvious to those skilled in the art.

Reply to
Robert Baer

...combined with glowing enthusiasm?

Reply to
Robert Baer

I believe there are certain mushrooms that have that effect when consumed.

Reply to
Richard Henry

In case of a court case, those judging won't be skilled in the art

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

Wrong. Wrong. Look up the US Patent Court, District of East Texas... which is where all "big deals" are tried now-a-days. I be one of the experts on-call ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Not necessarily. As I'm sure you know (I read one of your applications!), it depends on what exactly he's patenting. Namely, the claims. If, for example, he were patenting some novel way of attaching the light to the spoon--or some shutter mechanism that prevents it shining in your eyes as you stuff your gob--that might fly.

The original post was a lark anyhow, but imaginative.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

It is good to see that somebody is awake.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller