What kind of light will you leave on with nobody home

In the good old days there were incandescent bulbs and fluorescent fixtures with magnetic ballasts, and both seemed to have "graceful" failure modes in the vast majority of cases. By graceful, I mean a simple transition to an open circuit with no damage to the fixture or anything else close by. We regularly left an incandescent lamp or two on for a week or more when we traveled, to make it look like someone was home. Over the last twenty years I've almost completely switched to CFL bulbs, and of the six or seven that have gone dark (not counting the ones I broke knocking a lamp over trying to reach the alarm clock :-)) four of them died by emitting flames and smoke and one by emitting just smoke (I was right next to that one so got it off within seconds, or maybe it would have progressed to flames too?). First time was about 15 years ago, when I was sitting at my computer and heard a noise behind me and saw flames about 6-8 inches tall rising from the top of a lampshade. A year later another bulb did the same thing. The most recent one was last month. Only two or three CFL bulbs have failed by just going dark while lit or not turning on. I'm all for saving energy but I will not ever leave a CFL turned on when I leave the house for more than a couple of minutes, even just to go work in the yard. I rarely experience power flickers or failure and have never lost an appliance or surge suppressed power strip (knock on wood :-)). I've recently replaced a couple of CFLs with LED bulbs and so far am happy with them output-wise but I have no idea what excitement their eventual failure will bring.

So, is there any kind of bulb you would leave on with no one home? Am I just unlucky or is this the new normal?

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

I bought this solar-tracking timer last September for our outdoor lighting:

I have it set up for sunset-sunrise timing, but you can set it up for sunset-scheduled-turn-off... useful for interior lights.

As for bulb type, we're at 93% LED's... remaining CFL's in enclosed fixtures where heat is a problem for LED's.

I've has only two LED "bulbs" fail in the past three years... one, loss of brightness, other just went dark... no heat, no smoke, no flames... not a big enough sample from which to draw conclusions.

So who knows? ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

LEDs seem to be very reliable, but I guess cheap ones are, well, cheap.

CFLs tend to die and smoke, especially if power cycled.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

es

in

ars

of

ent

ot

of

ea

I've used lots of CFL's in recent years. Few of them have been on for long enough to fail, but none of them have failed to flames and smoke.

Have you checked the actual mains voltage level at your home? Sometimes the power supply company screws up and supplies an out-of-specification high v oltage to some houses - I've seen newspaper reports about customers complai ning about short-=lived light bulbs. My guess would be that these would be houses that were close to a sub-station that also supplied houses that w ere much further away ...

My guess is that LED lamps would fail gracefully as the emitting junction t urned into one that emitted less light per charge carrier, without changing the heat dissipated in the junction.

--
Bill Sloman, sydney
Reply to

CFLs are very reliable. You need to buy them from somewhere else though!

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Is it too much too ask if your CFLs were all the same brand, a mix of brands or just exactly what? A bulb emitting flames is grounds for a recall if not a lawsuit.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I've used lots of CFL's in recent years. Few of them have been on for long enough to fail, but none of them have failed to flames and smoke.

Have you checked the actual mains voltage level at your home? Sometimes the power supply company screws up and supplies an out-of-specification high voltage to some houses - I've seen newspaper reports about customers complaining about short-=lived light bulbs. My guess would be that these would be houses that were close to a sub-station that also supplied houses that were much further away ...

My guess is that LED lamps would fail gracefully as the emitting junction turned into one that emitted less light per charge carrier, without changing the heat dissipated in the junction.

--
Bill Sloman, sydney

I'm going to lump several replies together here.  I've checked the line
voltage a few times over the years and it's always been 115 to 118 VAC.

Most of the bulbs that have failed were left on 6-12 hours per weekday,
10-20 hours a day weekends, and most lasted a few years at least.  I've only
had a couple of CFL bulbs in lower use lights fail, and they just went dark
(bathroom, kitchen, bedroom; many more on/off cycles but maybe 1-2
hours/day).

I guess my concern about LED's is that if the cheap electronics in the CFLs
fail in flames, why won't the cheap electronics in an LED bulb?  The LEDs
themselves I guess will fail open, not shorted, but even if one in a string
shorts hopefully the electronics would maintain the constant current so the
rest wouldn't pop.  No, I don't really expect a flaming failure, I'm just
both gunshy and collecting opinions :-).

All of these bulbs were purchased at Home Depot, Lowes, or Sam's Club -
mostly HD.  I don't think any were Lights of America since I was never happy
with their color (CRI), so whatever other brands they offered that were
cheaper than the expensive Sylvania or Phillips offerings.  All had 8000 or
10000 hour warranties.  None were dimmable or on dimmers.

All that smoked were in lamps with the usual cylindrical shade so plenty of
airflow and the lamps are rated for 150 watt incandescents.  I like plenty
of light so the first two that flamed were 42 watt CFLs rated as "200 watt
equivalent".  The rest have been 150 watt equivalent CFLs so actual wattages
in the 30's.
Reply to
Carl Ijames

Hmm, I just turn the lights off and tell the neighbors we're going away. (I've only got two/ three neighbors, depending on who's living across the road.) If they see anyone besides the dog/cat sitter, who also lives down the road, then call someone. I've got fish lights on a permanent timer, fluorescent with magnetic ballast. I've got a bunch of incandescents in the attic.. lotsa 75W if you want some, I assume they are still for sale elsewhere.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

--------------------

** Crikey ....

  • The LED bulbs I have seen and bought so far are sealed and run fairly cool, so it is not likely they can combust.
** You sound unlucky.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

No led explosions so far at home or work. They usually fail gracefully or blink at 1-2 Hz trying for a restart.

Have not had one explode or burn , but have had a few Cree and Phillips fail. All were well heatsinked and a few were in enclosures. That is for Edison Screw bulbs, I can't say the same for some LED MR16s.

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

----------------------

** The filament in each end of a CFL generates a lot of heat, good design is to have a thermal barrier between the CFL lamp and the inverter electronics.

Have you ever done a "post-mortem" to see what is combusting first ?

Resistors, film caps, the PCBs ?

** I have been using some CFLs rated at 32 and even 55 watts consumption as workshop lights and had no issues at all. Still I never leave one on when away from home.

All the CFLs I have opened or read about on the net have internal fuses and or fusible resistors in the AC supply in case of major failures PLUS are made of flame retardant plastic.

As you already know, making sure the base does not get to hot to touch is essential to avoiding trouble or suffering a short life span.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I had a CFL shoot sparks and smoke once. I was on the toilet when it occurred about 6 ft from me. I think I pissed on the floor as I got off the toilet and hit the wall switch to OFF. Nothing was damaged, except the bulb itself, but that was scary. (and stinky smoke).

I had several more of them emit smoke when they died.

I hated them CFL bulbs for many reasons, such as the delay in getting bright and they dont work outdoors in cold weather and more, but when that flare-up occurred, I went back to incandescent bulbs. Now, I use all LED bulbs. They are great!!!

I probably still have a dozen or more CFL bulbs, many are new and in the box. I should take them to Goodwill or something because I will never use them miserable things again.....

Reply to
oldschool

Not as good as LEDs. Frequent cycling of CFLs (like, once a day or more) tends to kill them in smelly ways. They last for years running

24/7.
--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yet the well engineered, similar wattage, small Circline tubes would run for decades.

Similar sized compact folded "plug in" tubes would run for 3 years CW off magnetic ballasts...

Most CFL tubes were made so cheaply with tiny cathodes as to never have a chance of any long term lifetime. I hope the "environuts" learned their lesson at the check-out counter...

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

----------------------

** The filament in each end of a CFL generates a lot of heat, good design is to have a thermal barrier between the CFL lamp and the inverter electronics.

Have you ever done a "post-mortem" to see what is combusting first ?

Resistors, film caps, the PCBs ?

** I have been using some CFLs rated at 32 and even 55 watts consumption as workshop lights and had no issues at all. Still I never leave one on when away from home.

All the CFLs I have opened or read about on the net have internal fuses and or fusible resistors in the AC supply in case of major failures PLUS are made of flame retardant plastic.

As you already know, making sure the base does not get to hot to touch is essential to avoiding trouble or suffering a short life span.

.... Phil =================================================================================

I've never done a post-mortem. When the smoke erupts my first dive is for the power switch, and then I try to get the bulb out of the socket and thrown into the back yard as fast as possible without burning myself, to minimize the nasty smoke smell in the house. I let it rest for a few days while my temper recovers, and then into the garbage it goes. Hopefully I'll not have another chance, but if another one goes up I'll try to remember to take it apart and post the results.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Same has happened to me on at least one occasion, walk into room and CFL is popping and smoking like crazy in its socket busily melting down its own base into molten plastic slag. There's supposed to be a fusable resistor inside and it "fused" alright, fused together into a solid burnt mass that could conduct a heavy current no problem.

CFLs were a stopgap technology and with LED bulbs from name brand manufacturers so widely available IMO they're best left on the ash-heap of history, literally

Reply to
bitrex

How about an incandescent bulb or a magnetic-ballast fluorescent? ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

What's the point of leaving an interior light on when one's away from home at all? Tryin' to help the thieves see better? It doesn't fool anybody and just lets 'em know you probably don't have a real security system

Reply to
bitrex

Someone should design a security system that when e.g. an infrared beam on the front stoop is broken it paints a half-dozen red dots on the person standing there from strategically placed lasers all around the property it's unobtrusive yet probably attention-getting

Reply to
bitrex

** Many folk have made that remark - but never explain how a "gap" arose th at required "stoping".

CFLs occupied a commercial lighting niche in shops, restaurants and buildin gs with a few spin off sales to curious consumers. In all the above cases, their ability to run thousands of hours if left on, low running cost & and a choice of light quality that kept them selling.

The competition came mainly from tiny 12V Halogen reflector lamps running o n dimmers - an overall more expensive option that lighting designers loved.

The only "gap" I can point to was deliberately created by loopy Green activ ists in their mad rush to "ban the bulb" and replace them with incompatible CFLs on political grounds.

It was never their maker's idea but they sure were happy to play along.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison