Pasta Pusher (2023 Update)

We had enough turkey to last til next Thanksgiving, so we're doing Italian. The problem is how to fill the cannelloni with the cheese and sausage mix and not break them or have horrible gaps and air voids.

Here's the fix:

I have three washer sizes ready because some of the things aren't perfectly round tubes, kinda squashed.

We had chunks of browned sweet Italian sausage in the fill, which doesn't flow well.

My Pasta Piston (c) (tm) (pat pend) worked great.

Il 25/12/2022 22:20, John Larkin ha scritto:

the trick is the following:

see figures 28 to 30 ;-)

usually we ( in Italy ) don't use cylindrical pre-made "cannelloni" but sheet of pasta, for dry pasta you need to pre-boil tha pasta, for fresh egg-based pasta ( as the recipe ) is not needed

P.S. : for the stuffing follow your personal taste

just some ideas :

fresh cheese ( ricotta ) and/or bechamel and

1) spinach 2) mushrooms 3) minced meat ( or ragu' ) 4) 1+3 ;-)

with some effort the recipes can even be done "vegan"

Reply to
mmm

We got rigid tube pasta and I added pretty big chunks of browned sweet Italian sausage to most of them (Mo's were vegeterian, spinach and mushrooms and ricotta) so the usual squirter tricks wouldn't work. Being an engineer, I wanted a perfect void-free fill.

Sounds like everyone had enough turkey at Thanksgiving and switched to pasta for Christmas. Maybe demand, maybe some supply chain issue, but there were no lasigna noodles to be had anywhere in San Francisco, so we went for the tubes.

Ours looked like the ones in your link, but more fresh tomato sauce below and a layer of bechamel on top, which browns beautifully.

Mo is Italian and inherited a lot of great Italian recipes. I'm from New Orleans. And there is the San Francisco component, crabs and salmon and sourdough and steam beer. The resulting hybrid cuisine is interesting.

Imagine being a cow and eating grass all day. Or being some poor person in Somalia and eating anything you can find.

<snip>

I imagine that would be luxury for many cows, particularly in the US and increasingly so here.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Mo makes fabulous biscotti - it takes two days - and I'll see if I can post her recipe.

I like them chocolate dipped.

use of egg in pasta is not mandatory at all dry pasta usually don't use eggs, you can find dry lasagna pasta made without eggs southern italy fresh pasta ( cavatelli, orecchiete, ... ) don't use eggs

I think something like one half/one third of teaspoon I think they refer to synthetic vannila flavour powder usually available in small packet

adjust the quantity according your taste

Reply to
mmm