Parts List and Inventory Software

The time has finally come to graduate beyond Excel spreadsheets for our parts lists and inventory. We manufacture specialized measurement and control equipment for oilfield use in relatively small volumes but are made up of a lot of parts and can be put together in lots of different ways. We use QuickBooks for accounting and even though the inventory capabilities of the latest versions are better, they really aren't designed for electronics manufacturing. We would like to have whatever we select at least able to exchange purchase order and invoicing information with QucikBooks.

Products that I'm aware of and have taken a look at the demos:

Parts & Vendors StockIt ERPLite Fishbowl Inventory

What parts list and inventory software are you guys using? Beyond what product you are currently using and how happy you are with it, I would be interested in hearing what other products you might have looked at and what features led you to pick what you are using.

Thanks.

--
James T. White
Reply to

I've always used Microsoft Access for parts and bills of materials (to calculate costs, make order list, keep track of stocks, etc). It even works well in a small multi-user environment. Most EDA packages will be able to connect to an Access database.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Hello Nico,

I'll second that. Always done it that way, too, since day one of my biz. Stick with a common database format, don't use spreadsheet software for that job.

I am amazed how many businesses around here use spreadsheet SW where they should be using a database. Once you get the hang of how to generate reports you'll never look back.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Parts & Vendors is what we've been using for ten years or so with splendid results.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

I've used Lotus "Approach", and something called "Paradox", but they were DOS, and I don't even know if you can still get them. In about 1995, I bought a copy of Visual Basic, which is really to draw eye candy with, and it has all the hooks to communicate with Access; but since you already have an Excel spreadsheet, I'd seriously think about looking into VBA, Visual Basic for Applications - you could make it do anything you want to, albeit I have no idea how to get the manual, since my copy of Excel is bootlegged.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

A previous thread on this: