Simple shop-floor inventory program

Anyone know of an inventory program for:

6,000 discrete parts in inventory (Maybe 50%-60% routinely used in jobs.
)

I just want to track (via barcode scan) in/out, by tech & job - and maybe c ompare that to the job BOM for variance.

I don't really need to go much further than that - i.e., no interfacing wit h NetSuite Accounting, ordering, stock levels, loading dock, RMA's, etc... The company doesn't want to spring for the full-blown inventory package in NetSuite because A) it's expensive, and B) is probably too complicated for our needs anyway. (That's another long story....)

A lot of what we build can be considered "custom one-offs", and I just need to generate a BOM quickly, pretty much at the same time we do the initial design. Each build is similar to the last, but "different enough" for it t o be a real pain in the ass.

I have this (maybe not so) crazy idea that a few well-placed barcode scanne rs, hooked to a simple running list in/out inventory (by job / tech), even if as a flat file (Excel, *.csv, etc..) would help tremendously. Even duri ng the design phase (don't ask.) :)

In short: Can one of you recommend a very basic (bare-bones) inventory prog ram? Windows based is preferred, and I can dedicate a machine to it. Thanks!!!

Reply to
mpm

Their all complicated. Sounds like a job for Access, but if you insist on a MRP there are a few small mrp systems out there. Like DBA manufacturing, their single seat demo is free, which might work for you.

Martin Riddle

Take a look at Apache OFBiz (

) Two projects I have worked on have used it. One built a rather complex app on top of OFBiz. We used hand scanners to track boxes going out the door. It might be too much for what you want to do but you dont need to use all the modules.

There are also many people that do OFBiz consulting and customization work. If you think you might want to go this route let me know. I know of a person that has written a OFBiz book and does training/consulting/customization.

Also take a look at

It's kind of a pick and choose what modules you need.

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

Visit the eevblog.com forum.

There have been lots of very lengthy threads on this matter and lots of options.

Reply to
Waussie