OT: WinXP and Win7

Do a fresh install of XP on a system with 128 MB of RAM. It runs OK. Then install all the updates, and it is useless. Also, so websites have so much crap running that they use way too much of your computer's RAM. This system has 1.5 GB. I read about 100 emails on my yahoo account. When I closed the browser I discovered it was using over 600 MB of RAM. I think they are trying to force you to pay for POP access to your messages.

Michael A. Terrell

I know a lot of people aren't crazy about Emachines, but they built one model for Wal-Mart that has XP installed. I see it is being closed out, but it is $398 with a 17" LCD monitor. Not state of the art, but a good deal for a personal system, or less technical users. The downside is that it uses the more expensive DDR RAM

Display: 17" Flat CRT (16" diagonal viewable), 1280x1024 @ 60Hz Processor: AMD Sempron 3100+ processor, Operates at 1.8GHz 256KB L2 Cache 1600MHz System Bus Memory: 512MB DDR (1 x 512MB), 400Mhz (PC3200)Expandable to 2GB Hard Drive: 100GB (7200 rpm, 2MB Cache)hard drive Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home (with SP2) Optical Device: DVD +/-RW, 16x Multi-Format Double Layer(up to 8.5GB with Double Layer media) Expansion Slots: 1 PCI-E x16, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI Communications: 56K ITU V.92 ready Fax/Modem (RJ-11 port)10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port) Graphics & Audio: nVidia GeForce 6100 GPU up to 128MB of shared video memory

6-Channel (5.1) AC?97 Audio w/ Amplified Stereo Speakers Measurements: CPU: 14.25(H) x 7.25"(W) x 16.00"(D) Monitor: 16.5"(W) x 16.0"(H) x 17.25"(D) Weight: 22.5 lbs (CPU only, no packaging) Monitor: 39.0 lbs. (17.7 kg) External Ports: 5 USB 2.0 Ports, 1 in Media Manager, 4 in back, 1 VGA External Connector, 1 Serial Port, 1 Parallel Port, 2 PS/2 Ports (Keyboard and Mouse), 5 Audio Ports (2 in front and 3 in back) Misc: Standard Multifunction Keyboard, 2-Button Wheel Mouse Software: Productivity Software: Microsoft Works 8.0, Microsoft Office 2003 60-day trial, Microsoft Money 2005, Microsoft Encarta Online, Adobe Acrobat Reader 7

Digital Media Software: CyberLink PowerDVD support, Nero 6 Suite, Microsoft Windows Media Player 10, Microsoft Digital Image (includes

60-day Digital, RealNetworks RealPlayer, Quicktime

Connectivity / Utilities: Microsoft Internet, AOL 9.0 (6 months), Google Toolbar

Michael A. Terrell

My rule: If a PC comes with Vista only or sans downgrade then I won't buy. In December I could still by one for the road that came with XP pre-installed. That's how it ought to be.

My email server can do web-based access but that gets old when large image files are attached.

All kinds of things, most likely caused by accidentally clicking on something thou shalt never click on. Last week it lost the profile.

I think that has changed even among those who used to glide around in Mercedes-Benzes or Cadillacs.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

"Economy is the art of making the most of life." --George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
James Arthur

Food = fertilizers, pesticides and fuel. Fertilizers, pesticides and fuel are all made from oil. Food = oil.

Renewable fuels have no chance before they will be less expensive then oil.

Medicine is not a market, hence there are no chances. Medicine slowly follows the toy market, not vice versa.

Sure. It would be good if all idiots will become reasonable starting from tomorrow, heh.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

If you buy another 99999 PCs in addition to that one, may be Microsoft will listen. You may like it or not, however Vista is the fact of life; stop whining and get used to it. It does the job, and not very bad at all.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

No ! ISP's don't want to carry the costs of supporting POP ! Webmail to the ISP has more value than one less program to go awry. ISP's can and do charge for it, but not in an obvious way. They sell it on the basis that they will provide antivirus services, usually an extra $3 or $4 per month.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Nitrogen fertilizers are made from natural gas, actually. The Haber- Bosch process makes synthetic ammonia from methane.

Then again, plenty of nitrogen fixing green plants exist. Peanuts, soybeans, other legumes, alfalfa, ...

Pesticides... pyrethrin is based on a naturally-occurring toxin.

I found that one by accident, actually - I was trying to find fluorinated hydrocarbons produced in nature (typically as predator deterrents), and their breakdown mechanisms (and which bacteria would break them down).

l.

Butanol looks promising. A commercial process was in use prior to WW2, but mostly to produce the explosive cordite from acetone (a co- product) of butanol and ethanol (ABE process).

Not sure what you mean. Folks will always pay for antibiotics and other necessities - so long as they can afford them. Recent research focuses on reducing the cost of manufacturing anti-malarial drugs by a factor of ten:

tml

For some values of reasonable.

Have some hope, man.

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Can we start with you?

Michael A. Terrell

Well, the state of Texas has already done that for me :-)

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

ALL on/off buttons on ALL portables are controlled by a little watchdog that is 100% independent of the rest of the machine. If you hold it long enough, it will shut off. Usually like ten seconds. It is always under power because it IS the power controller circuit.

Reply to
MakeNoAttemptToAdjustYourSet

That is because it is not OS related.

You also need to look at the power settings (which IS OS related) and make sure that the power switch is not set to 'sleep' instead of 'power off'.

Do you also have problems programming a VCR or setting an electronic wristwatch?

Reply to
MakeNoAttemptToAdjustYourSet

You guys have to be the biggest retards to have ever watched an entire industry transpire and manage to get the 'historical memory' of it all wrong in nearly every case.

Reply to
MakeNoAttemptToAdjustYourSet

Yeah, it is ridiculous, isn't it!

In our case, my wife has our budget pretty well worked out. We live on a $1500 per month budget for normal expenses, just the two of us. She also has a separate budget for insurances and taxes that are only occasional. It breaks down to roughly:

$400 a month for food $400 a month for utilities (Electric, Gas, Water, Trash, Phones and TV) $200 a month for maid service (SWMBO considers this a necessity!) $200 a month for incidental bills $300 a month for the AMEX, where we charge gasoline, eating out, and other discretionary expenditures.

We often have a surplus at the end of the month... 8-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Sounds about right, except for utilities... don't you live in a hot spot ?:-)

No mortgage?

...Jim Thompson

 Stormy on the East Coast today... due to Bush\'s failed policies.

Congrats! Then you belong to the 0.001% of the population that actually tracks their expenses :-)

As Jim wrote, utilities sounds a bit highish. Cable TV? And to be honest, we would have a hard time to make do with $400 for food. I'd be constantly canvassing the fridge ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

No. Utilities seem a bit "lowish". I run about $350 a month for just electricity right now and it'll double by July.

...Jim Thompson

 Stormy on the East Coast today... due to Bush\'s failed policies.

Nah, A/C is for sissies. We don't run it even if it's 105F outside and

95F in the office. Except when business visitors are here. Heating, very different thing. SWMBO wants it to be no less than 70F in the living areas no matter what. But it's wood heating so that isn't a major cost factor anymore. I like it 65F in winter and luckily the office and lab area is about 100ft from the wood stove so that wish was granted.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I just paid my electric bill: $65.39 for last month.

Michael A. Terrell

BO is offensive, Barack OR body ;-)

...Jim Thompson

           Liberalism is a persistent vegetative state