FreePCB and Windows XP

I have recently tried using FeePCB on a Windows XP professional PC (before that I ran it using wine under Linux). Using it as a regular user (not admin) has problems. FreePCB defaults to creating all projects in C:\ProgramFiles\FreePCB\Projects but of course a regular user is not allowed to create files in this directory. Unfortunately, the Project Options dialog does not allow you to browse to another directory to create the project, instead you have to type the complete path in by hand which is somewhat tedious when it is something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\UsrName\My Documents\MyPCBs

Similarly, when I create a new footprint, I cannot store it in the default location (for the same reason as before) but at least this time the dialog does allow you to browse to an alternate directory. Then, when you want to select parts from the standard and your own libraries, you have to waste time navigating to each one.

So, I can get round these problems but they are a bit of a pain. I could solve them by setting up an admin account but I should not have to do that. I am sorely tempted to copy the standard libraries to my own lib directory and select everything from there.;

What does everyone else do?

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

I just found one possible solution. I just copied the entire FreePCB folder into my Documents directory and ran FreePCB from there. All the paths are now relative to that instance of the FreePCB folder.

Cheers Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

That's still clumsy for CAD software. I could not work with something like that because there are lots of client directories which must be kept strictly separated. No overlap whatsoever.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

One of two solutions for this ( as John stated, clumsy bug). Give the Directory User permissions. Create a short cut to the Users MyDocuments in the freepcb project directory.

I'd just give the directory User rights this way anyone can access it. Typically you?re the only user anyway.

BTW, Eagle allows you to select a default directory to browse for all its file types.

Martin Riddle

border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de!newsfeed01.sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!newsfeed.straub-nv.de!feeder.eternal-september.org!eternal-september.org!not-for-mail

U2FsdGVkX1+H1TGYaauDUFLYk+XT1QbuppMdBZ+LO9frILgdA0m8LAU/YLBECGtTMArXmN8FwqYnQK6nc83a7Ys2q1nraaFuHRCBv6ljPUk7sSCtj+PhApQBd/ErNOsc9oTD74cTLOpyVTca+qlqJw==

For Windows XP there is an admin tool that will allow an Administrator to set the permissions for a directory by account or group. Read up on CACLS.EXE on Microsoft.com. It may also be built in to the Performance and Maintenance:Administrative Tools accessible from the Control Panel. When you install a program, you don't have to put it in \Program Files. You can install it in a directory in your Desktop, for instance.

Ken Fowler, KO6NO

Reply to
Ken Fowler

Try using an NTFS junction point.

F:\Program Files\FreePCB>md Projects

F:\Program Files\FreePCB>cd "F:\Documents and Settings\auser\My Documents"

F:\Documents and Settings\auser\My Documents>md Projects

F:\Documents and Settings\auser\My Documents>cd "F:\Program Files\FreePCB"

F:\Program Files\FreePCB>junction Projects "F:\Documents and Settings\auser\My Documents\Projects"

Junction v1.05 - Windows junction creator and reparse point viewer Copyright (C) 2000-2007 Mark Russinovich Systems Internals -

Created: F:\Program Files\FreePCB\Projects Targetted at: F:\Documents and Settings\auser\My Documents\Projects

F:\Program Files\FreePCB>dir Volume in drive F is Windows 2000 Volume Serial Number is 2435-33A2

Directory of F:\Program Files\FreePCB

12/20/2009 12:33a . 12/20/2009 12:33a .. 12/20/2009 12:33a Projects 0 File(s) 0 bytes 3 Dir(s) 35,412,905,984 bytes free

Reply to
Andy

border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de!newsfeed01.sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!newsfeed.straub-nv.de!feeder.eternal-september.org!eternal-september.org!not-for-mail

U2FsdGVkX1+H1TGYaauDUFLYk+XT1QbuppMdBZ+LO9frILgdA0m8LAU/YLBECGtTMArXmN8FwqYnQK6nc83a7Ys2q1nraaFuHRCBv6ljPUk7sSCtj+PhApQBd/ErNOsc9oTD74cTLOpyVTca+qlqJw==

Yes, that's what I have done in the end, I just copied the whole thing to my documents folder and run it from there.

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Thanks everyone for the input. These ideas of using short cuts, junctions or changing permissions are all very well except for one thing

- I need also to be able to have projects on removable media (Flash) so I can work on them at one of several PCs. I might just end up with a memory stick with FreePCB and it projects on it.

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

"Ian Bell" schreef in bericht news:hgivkj$mf$ snipped-for-privacy@localhost.localdomain...

The forum on their website is a very good source for information.

Antoon

Reply to
Antoon

Indeed, I asked this same question there too.

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Do you know I would love to do that but I just cannot find out how to do it in XP. I logged in as admin and followed the help instructions but I cannot reach the permissions dialog. If this were Linux it would be a doddle - just right click the folder and select the permissions tab - no such tab in XP.

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

"Ian Bell" kirjoitti viestissä:hgsqi4$v20$ snipped-for-privacy@localhost.localdomain...

Yuo need to turn the simple file sharing off for that Setting is in Folder options or whatever it is in english version

-ek

Install Cygwin--then you can just use chmod.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

No, that does not work. That's the same advice I got in the regular windows help - right click on the folder and select the security tab - THERE IS NO SECURITY TAB, even as an admin!!!!!*****@@@@????

I though windows was supposed to be user friendly.

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Ian Bell Inscribed thus:

I think that may only apply to XP-Pro SP2. I don't recall ever seeing a security tab in "home".

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

This IS XP-Pro!!!!!

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Ian Bell Inscribed thus:

Oops.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Look a bit further down:

Important: If you are not joined to a domain and you want to view the Security tab:

  1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel. 2. Click Appearance and Themes, and then click Folder Options. 3. Click the View tab, and then click to clear the Use simple file sharing [Recommended] check box in the Advanced settings box.

Once you've done that, you should get a Security tab in the Properties dialogs.

More details:

Nobody

LOL, how wonderfully obscure. How would I know if I were joined to a domain or not?

And people say Linux is hard to use.

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

You ask the administrator ;)

If this is your own network, and you don't have any recollection of setting up a domain controller, then you're not joined to a domain.

Reply to
Nobody