OT: WinXP and Win7

Windows XP Support No Longer Free

Most XP users who encounter trouble will have to pay Microsoft for help. (ref: Paul McDougall informationweek.com/1226/xp.htm)

Windows 7 will likely fare no better than Windows Vista in terms of adoption. The reason is simple: Windows 7 is based on Vista and not XP. Vista's bloatware development mentality led adopters to buy into brand- new machines. Buying a machine for the home is one thing. Buying a brand-new machine for everyone's desk at an office is costly. Windows 7 will likely also require a heftier system to operate. It will likely not operate on systems that run XP and can't be upgraded to Vista.

So, for all the same reasons Vista bombed in the workplace, so will Windows 7. Microsoft needs to figure out a way to get back to the system requirements that XP needed while still providing the "advanced features" it wants to include.

Reply to
Robert Baer

lp.

d-

Typical Microsloth s*1t. Vista is a dog, just like that Millenium Edition was. :-( MS needs to rethink its marketing strategy. Charging for support of XP is just highway robbery. If MS products were cars, they'd be recalled.

Reply to
Alan

I'm told that Windows 7 is noticeably better than Vista -- people often say it's what Vista "should have been." We'll see...

Well, you could say the same thing any time a new OS is released that (inevitably) has greater system requirements than its predecessor -- I remember people complaining about Windows 2000 to Windows XP upgrades, after all. The problem Vista had is that it required a *significant* step up in computing horsepower for *little to no* perceptible difference in operation. Even with efficient coding, at some point new features require more resources.

It's kinda fun to play with virtual machines and see how many resources you really need. Something like Xubuntu does quite well in 256MB of RAM and 10GB of disk space, and it's still a "medium weight" distribution in that it includes "full-featured" apps like Firefox (although it does eschew OpenOffice for Abiword, Gnumeric, etc.). That's roughly "Windows 2000" era requirements... nice!

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

On May 4, 7:49=A0pm, Robert Baer wrote: > Windows XP Support No Longer Free >

I've never called MS for help though I _have_ bothered the IT guys at work once in a while. The enterprise version of Win XP Pro has been loaded MANY times in getting new computers running but the latest one was simply using Copy Commander (highly recommended) to copy the HD to get another system running - WITH NO CURSING!!!!! And in record time....

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

You guys should be recalled for claiming to be scientists.

I'd bet the original Fairchild ten transistor chip was faster than you idiots run.

Reply to
MakeNoAttemptToAdjustYourSet

Put the image on a server, boot Knoppix on the machine you are setting up. Drag the MS install directory over the net. Reboot... Install.

Reply to
MakeNoAttemptToAdjustYourSet

On a sunny day (Mon, 04 May 2009 19:49:02 -0700) it happened Robert Baer wrote in :

Win 7 will have an Xp mode, virtualiser I think. If that is any good as MSDOS window was in win 98, where my games no longer worked, then well... that would be the end then :-)

I am alrready pissed at Xp that is scratching my disk and when I finally want to switch it off, tells me to *wait* as it has to install 9 more updates... No fun if you use dual boot with Linux, and you have to wait 10 minutes for XP to do that before you can reboot.

And all those virusses....

Better use Linux and forget MS products, unless there is a very very strong reason where someting will not work as to lack of drivers and it *must* be MS.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 4 May 2009 20:48:01 -0700) it happened "Joel Koltner" wrote in :

Most people have no idea what really is going on in the PC box. What needs what resources so to speak. To give you an idea: I have a Duron 950 MHz (so not even 1GHz), that runs:

X Xserver (graphics) Apache2 webserver protpd ftp server sendmail mail server named name server php

Firefox 3 webrowser Opera9 webrowser 2 (for example for sites that crash firefox). NewsFleX usenet news reader

2 security cams, 1 recording end encoding in software to H264 at 2fps, the otehr 25 fps via digitiser and bit blit to display. Star office spread sheet, other stuff, Postgres database, with PhPpgadm web frontend xpdf pdf viewer swcad in wine windows emulator satellite TV digital recording xine time shif playing of digital recordings mixers 2 sound cards, 2 mixers. xmpl media player, uses sox or mpg123 for mp3 eagle PCB layout home automation temp control, alarm system, etc.. firewall snort intrusion detection + counter measures. joe several instances, text editor. etc etc

And the system load is (top): top - 13:09:59 up 4 days, 17:38, 10 users, load average: 0.92, 1.01, 0.99 Tasks: 129 total, 3 running, 124 sleeping, 0 stopped, 2 zombie Cpu(s): 6.3% us, 4.6% sy, 41.1% ni, 45.7% id, 0.3% wa, 0.7% hi, 1.3% si

The memory: Mem: 385964k total, 360468k used, 25496k free, 28788k buffers

So, 1GHz and 385 MB should be enough for anyone :-)

The processor: # cat /proc/cpuinfo processor : 0 vendor_id : AuthenticAMD cpu family : 6 model : 3 model name : AMD Duron(tm) Processor stepping : 1 cpu MHz : 959.494 cache size : 64 KB fdiv_bug : no hlt_bug : no f00f_bug : no coma_bug : no fpu : yes fpu_exception : yes cpuid level : 1 wp : yes flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow bogomips : 1920.85 clflush size : 32

OS, uname -a: grml: ~ # uname -a Linux grml 2.6.21 #1 Sun Mar 15 14:38:26 CET 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

MS is selling bloat, and is it a secret pact that also helps sell more and more heat producing hardware?

*** Will the day come when we need a quad 5GHz to edit the text 'Hello world'? ***
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Actually, Win2k operates quite well on a smaller footprint. I still have one laptop, worked on it yesterday. It contains 128MB of RAM and AFAIR Win2k uses less than 1/3rd of that.

The amazing thing about this old Dell Inspiron 2500 is that it has run >10h/day for over 8 years, to the tune of roughly 30,000 hours grand total. The touchpad has a serious "valley" and many key letterings are gone. Other than that, full backlight brightness, runs and runs and runs.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

When I first got my copy of W2K, I still had my old W95 box: Cyrix

6X86 uP @ 120 MHz (but performs like a 150!), 1 ea. 4G drive, partitioned 4 x 1GB; and 32 MB of RAM.

W2K worked fine on it, at about .05 the speed of the "modern" ones. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

So, you can't figure out how to shuit it down without installing the updates, or to turn off automatic updates?

Michael A. Terrell

Vista 'should have been' a working OS.

Michael A. Terrell

Win 7 is less resource hungry than Vista. And hardware vendors are unhappy about that - not essential to buy a new PC to run it.

Many corporates I know are hoping to skip Vista entirely.

It is a working OS. But with a very big footprint and incompatibilities with certain models of famous brand hardware. I have a Toshiba portable that has an MTBF of only a few hours running Vista. There is nothing wrong with the hardware - only with the Vista drivers for it.

My desktop Vista is pretty much OK (although I did manage to max it out by having a large number of big images ~64 open simultaneously). The interesting symptom was that animation stalled and the next image opened was black cat in the proverbial coal cellar. The deadlocked animation of an imploding window being closed was very amusing to look at. The OS did eventually recover when I closed a few more of the image windows, but didn't regain full speed until it was rebooted.

If only IBM's marketing department had not been such dorks we could be using a robust system derived from the OS/2 development now.

Defenestrate Windows!

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

W2k will not even attempt to install without 64M of RAM. I suppose you could remove some later......

RL

Reply to
legg

I have win7 running on a VM on a P4 and it?s a little sluggish. Now I couldn?t do that with vista. And it seems more like Xp with the Look of vista.

Martin Riddle

Win XP prior to SP2 could work in 64M of RAM. Despite of never stopping disk activity, it wasn't very bad. You could actually use IE, Office or such.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

It reflects the environment in which it was developed and, to some extent, the dominating markets in which it is used. Totally unatural access to and requirement for resources.

It's too bad that China or India didn't dominate in early development, though I can just imagine the administrative restrictions that would have been imbedded there.

RL

Reply to
legg

I never allow automatic updates for any reason. I manually do updates so they are not in the way of running programs, etc.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Microsofts "support" has always been worthless anyway. Nobody with a clue would rely on it.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

On a sunny day (Tue, 05 May 2009 19:12:25 -0700) it happened Robert Baer wrote in :

Yes, probably a good way to do it. I have become a bit reluctant to tick 'never ask for this again' sort of boxes.... Because I then never update... I am subscribed to a German security letter,

that sends me weekly emails with all the stuff that is wrong, worms, needed security updated, latest scams, etc... but what that comes down to is that you have to upgrade firefox, MS stuff, flash player, adobe reader, and a whole lot of other stuff _every week_ almost.

This cannot be right, and I have no time for that crap, to do it all manually. So for MS I trust the auto updates. In Linux I never ever had an exploit in any program (that I know of), but a zillion attempts to hack my server.... So I firewall and sysadm that very precisely, with the help of the security letter too. But now there was even a new xpdf (pfd reader) needed for Linux too. Something needs to change in all that crap. I am against gov filtering everything, our last bit of freedom the internet, but they could get some of those virus creators AND the virus program sellers who have an interest in publishing the latest attacks; Kaspersky did that with the DNS problem, and then all script kiddies try it... Even if 1 in 10000 internet users goes bad, or tries an attack out of curiosity, it can bring much of the internet down.

So, my latest solution: I have one PC for critical application that is not connected to the net at all :-)

Wow, no NSA will have to ... LOL Paranoia sells, be it for flue, terrorists, software worms, whatever.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje