OT: WARNING: Amazon *forcing* "prime" on customers.

His stance is that he can't remember which city or state he is in, or what actually happened in his life.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That reminds me of the old bumper sticker: "America: love it or leave it".

Even as a kid I thought that was trite, too negative, and designed to shut down the possibility of improvement.

Much better would have been "America: let's make it even better".

Reply to
Tom Gardner

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

More retarded baby bullshit from the retarded bullshit baby.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

..

One of the many reasons why I use eBay for most purchases. Prime is useful if you use Amazon a lot. I don't care for it so much. I often don't see a way to reach the vendor to ask questions and pretty much every time I do reach a vendor they are unwilling/unable to answer. I just don't get the i mpression Amazon is interested in providing negative info on any vendors. eBay at least lets you rate the vendor with feedback which I take seriously . There has to be a reason to use a vendor with an approval rating below 9

9%.
--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

An excellent idea! For the most part I don't use Amazon. I tried Prime on ce, but they didn't have any movies to watch that I wanted. The ones I lik ed I had to buy DVDs. Who uses DVDs anymore? I think my last DVD came fro m the Walmart dollar bin and it wasn't worth the price. lol It has Richar d Dean Anderson and Justine Bateman who were both great, but the script was a real stinker! It still makes a decent coaster.

I sometimes look at Amazon listings when Google searches don't turn up much else. Mostly I use them to figure out what keywords to use to find other web sites with the same goods and then buy them from decent mail order prov iders like eBay and Aliexpress.

BTW, there are a huge number of fake SD and USB Flash memory devices out th ere. That's one thing Amazon has in common with the others. I bought a fe w USB devices which offered free logos. They look nice, but are smaller de vices altered to report as larger devices and fail H2testw testing. These same vendors even post images of passing results (although one tried to use H2testw to measure the size and didn't notice it actually flagged it as a failure). When I tell them their devices are fake they don't appreciate my giving them poor marks. lol

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Wow! That's quite the burn JL.

God, what a dip.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

You may have lots to complain about with Amazon, but they have been around since nearly day one as an Internet vendor. I don't see them falling anytime soon.

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Please write your congress critter about that!

Reply to
Robert Baer

  • Do NOT use e-bay; have been cheated both sides of the fence (buy,sell).
Reply to
Robert Baer

Amen.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Compare their prices with the local coin dealers FIRST..

Reply to
Robert Baer

How sweet..a kiss on the neck....

Reply to
Robert Baer

Glad your experiences with e-bay were reasonable. In my cases with them, they refused to listen to raw facts.

Reply to
Robert Baer

g that i did not

and i then would

shipping and they

d again asked why

r part.

aint link.

efits", many

the mess) one

k including a

can

is

I often

? I

ndor

o use

I used to sell a lot on eBay until all the rules and regs they've come up with over the years have discouraged me a lot. What did it for me was having someone come along and open a case a month after purchasing a

"used- as-is" electronic antique item. Doesn't matter how old it is or what shape it's in, the customer can get refunded even with as-is items.

That did it for me.

I'm not a happy camper with Amazon either mainly due to Prime. They

*used* to have the free shipping long before prime came along, but obviously not enough money was made so they made free shipping items without prime far fewer.

I still actually like going out and buying things, but online has those days numbered. I suspect a day will come soon when the malls will close

and Walmart will dwindle like Kmart and the others before it did and eventually go out of business all because of online firms. Once all the

physical world places are gone, watch out.

Reply to
-asop-

-asop- wrote in news:qqggnf$8im$1@dont- email.me:

Blame Donald J. Trump for this.

His vast genius knowledge of "The Deal" caused him to piss and moan about the deal Amazon was getting from the USPS.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Actually I can reproduce it and although you are right that there is a hidden option to proceed without Prime it is very well hidden and not present at all on the order summary page. Which says and I quote the relevant HTML from the order screen verbatim below (what a mess!):

Martin, we are giving you a FREE 30-day trial of Prime.

Your benefits will include Free One-Day delivery on millions of items, instant access to thousands of movies and TV shows, over two million songs ad-free and many other benefits. You can cancel anytime. »

The scenario that elicits this situation is that you buy from an Amazon

Result is a forced "free" upgrade to Amazon Prime with a rider that you can cancel any time in the next 30 days. Curiously the only option for delivery was FREE standard delivery in 3-5 days despite the "Prime".

I am pretty sure it is illegal to do this in the UK too. It is certainly bad practice.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

-asop- wrote in news:qqggnf$8im$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Yeah and isn't it nice that you do not get to look at an item before you buy it. Everything is trial and error.

USB chargers, cables, battery packs portable hard drive enclosures... everything.

Cheap chinese is just that because we did not regulate what flea market idiots bought to push here.

Consumers are not all that bright on the whole. Even those that are lack many skills for determining quality. We pay too much and get crap hardware a lot of times with no return channel.

I get brand specific. Some of the cheap chinese brands make a pretty good line, so I stick with those in some cases.

But not being able to see (and touch) an example is a problem. I would never have bought a drone were I not able to look at and compare them first hand.

The other thing IS the shipping. When a store gets a display, they come on a truck that has nothing but pallets of displays, and everything is set up for shipping. When you buy a single unit on line, you do not know how that unit was shipped and stored at the distribution point, and you DO know how it will ship to you. Fed Ex tosses packages. They get tossed onto conveyor belts, they get packed into long haul trucks on top of and under hundreds of other packages. There is no this side up and no handle with care. I have seen it. I am sure that UPS is similar though I have seen and thought their conveyors looked better designed.

If it is a small package, it may start out as fedex or ups but end up regular postal system, which means it gets handled even more times. I have seen fiberglass burlap sacks (that's what they use) that hold over half a cubic yard of 'smalls' and they get tossed around on the conveyors as well before the USPS ends up with them and they get tossed and handled some more. Your package likely gets handled maybe thirty times before it ends up on the last truck to you.

Just at a final hub... Big truck... off the truck (1) onto the conveyor... Scan at conveyor (2)... Sort and send at top of conveyor (3)... Sort and route at bottom of conveyor (3)... Scan at bottom for last routing (4)... Place onto final truck (5)... and driver hand off to you (6).

All manual tasks as package routing automation is not a reality yet. Which might be worse handling.

This is on a truck with TRUCK TIRES, CAR TIRES, FULL SIZE TRUCK TIRES!... your neigbor's back yard trampoline... the other guy's exercise bike. It ALL gets stacked and tossed and filled up to the brim on those big trucks. No bigger stuff on the bottom... no rules at all for a top to bottom filled truck. At the local hub, all those big trucks get emptied as described above. All within a 4 hour shift. Every day... every time.

And lets not forget "Chewy". Do you get your pet supplies from them now? Oh boy. I have seen entire trucks filled with Chewy runs.

Thos idiots do not know how to pack a box for shipping, much less one filled with bags of dog food. How hard could it be?

Premium quality tape, but the dopes do not know how to make sure the tape got pressed on right and sticks! Boxes are blowing open every day! Chewy's shipper/packers SUCK!

Essentially, if you are getting it shipped to you, you can expect that you package was impact tested and drop tested several times from point a to point b.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Martin Brown wrote in news:qqgka1$14fv$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

It's all designed to blow your mind...

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Robert Baer wrote in news:dPOyF.156315$ snipped-for-privacy@fx48.iad:

With the limited minting of those coins, one must buy as soon as they are released, or you may have a hard time finding one at a local dealer, and when you do, it will very likely already carry a higher price tag.

The gold coin is no longer available, even though the site will sell you one, then cancel the next day (stupid). With only 50,000 minted, if you can find me one in pristine, new condition at the same price or lower, I would like the link to get in touch because I really wanted the one I bought. I have serious doubts though that you'll find one at a reasonable price any time soon.