OT;W98 popularity

The vast majority of computer users are losers, like you.

Dedicating an old machine to a single task doesn't qualify as 'stick with a piece of junk'. At times I have six computers running on my home network while I repair some to give them away.

Just can't wrap your small mind around the fact that some people can keep an old computer running? You have my sympathy, troll. You obviously need mental help, or you wouldn't bother posting the message headers with every reply.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Don't own a PDA, and the PSP displays full web pages.

I have never played a single game on it.

Soon enough, we'll see multi-TeraByte optical cubes in our boxes which we will refer to as "bottomless pits"!

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

But you are an idiot for causing it to need to be rebooted several times a day.

You are ALSO retarded for posting other posters' header, you stupid f*ck.

Reply to
Herbert John "Jackie" Gleaso

75 sockets on dial-up.

You deserve a Darwin award for that dumb shit.

Reply to
Herbert John "Jackie" Gleaso

You are using way too many aliases.

Reply to
John Doe

Jonathan Kirwan snipped-for-privacy@easystreet.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

While i am only a home user, at home linux has been my production OS for many years. When at long last i go into business for myself i will use linux to the max then also.

Reply to
JosephKK

full

version is

Of course it can, but my one that weighed under 1kg and is much smaller was MUCH NICER to take around the world. Not only did I not have to take a separate laptop bag, but the entire notebook with charger fitted in the outer pocket of my tiny day pack. And I didn't miss the CD drive one bit. Losing the CD drive gives you options to make the unit much smaller, which is of great benefit to some people. For those people the added size of the CD drive is not "NOTHING". If you need a CD drive, take it, if you don't need one then you have the option of some very small units indeed.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

And they all tie in to the same IP info, as in NOT anonymous, so f*ck you.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Stop changing your alias, now.

Reply to
John Doe

"ChairmanOfTheBored" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

.... I think the cash flow requrements of Microsoft will be the judge of that!

At least *I* am not now missing the USD 2000 or thereabouts you just blew to be able to own (rent, actuall) what is essentially a turd with glimmer on it.

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Whine, Whine, Whine:

The dependencies are there so that the package manager can sort out what you need *for you* automagically. Who, in his right mind, gives a shit about computer time!? It's "human time" that is precious and irreplaceble!! Silicon never gets bored!!!

Everyone knows the desktop sucks; not many (outside tech support, that is) realise that it is because of the desktop *users*. Well, Linux is not going there. And it is the better for it too.

In the meantime Linux is quitely getting on with running stuff. F.ex. your local telephone network - if it's built with Ericsson equipment. Linux is simply infrastructure, the desktop is just *one* application of it.

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

That definitely isn't the case.

All of the DOS-based Windows versions (3.1, 95, 98, ME) have the first megabyte of memory unprotected and shared between all applications and the OS. If an application screws up and corrupts that area, you need a reboot.

If you want any real stability, you need the "OS" versions of Windows (NT/2K/XP), not the "DOS program" versions (95/98/ME). With the DOS-based versions, the system is only as stable as the worst-behaved program.

Having said that, the Mac never had *any* memory protection prior to MacOSX, and it was a lot more stable. Most of that was due to the use of Objective-C, meaning you had to go out of your way to overrun a buffer.

Reply to
Nobody

Hahahaha $2000!

Yeah, right, bub. It was hard for you to accomplish, but I do think less of you now, after that retarded remark.

They must really ream you guys good over there.

I think I'll come over and set up shop!

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

It's not the computer time; it's download megabytes. If you have good fast broadband, no problem. But it effectively means that people on the end of a long piece of string, or no string at all (i.e. most of the world) can't use the magick, so their Linux is crippled. Which is a pity, as it's at least as good to use as any version of Windows, and doesn't have the Stasi peering over your shoulder all the time.

It would "only" take a standard set of installed libraries, a standard way of finding these, and the distribution of applications with any non- standard libraries as source code, to cover most user installations without too many variants.

Reply to
Paul Burke

"ChairmanOfTheBored" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Nobody cares what you "think" of anything

Whatever keeps you happy and the word amused ...

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Linux is fully functional out-of-the distribution set of CD's.

Besides, after watching "progress" in Iraq, Somalia, Congo, Sudan, Haiti aand so forth and so on; i.e. one endless string of tribal disasters and shitfights amongst barbarians - amplified by "fair" access to western technology and ressources - *I* do not much care for "the rest of the world". No good will come from it, basically, just more multi-resisistent diseases, ethnic cleansing and terrorism.

I.M.O: If "they" want something done (or something at all) "they" can effing well get off their collective arses and do it themselves the way "they" want it to be done!

... the main reason why most of the world's internet does suck is precisely because the local variant of Stasi wants to peep and censor all the time so all the traffic is crammed through the one hole monitored by the security system.

There is no technical problem in proxying a Linux distribution and all the downloaded packages on a local box - that is also the *fastest* way to install! Much faster than CD-ROM.

That is what one gets one the full six(!) CD distros!

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

"ChairmanOfTheBored" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

All of USD 75,95 (in small change) ..... That is brave of you sir!

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Resolution of *most* Windows Smartphones/PDAs: 320x240 Resolution of *most* Palm Smartphones/PDAs: 320x320 Resolution of a PSP: 480x272 Resolution of a *few* Windows Smartphones/PDAs: 640x480 Resolution of Nokia N800: 800x480

I spent awhile mulling over whether to get a 640x480 PDA or an N800 -- the folks over at InternetTabletTalk.Com convinced me that 800x480 is a noticeable improvement over 640x480.

My phone is 320x240, and while I can use it as an Internet browser, the limited resolution makes ita rather trying experience.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

is

It wasn't my computer. I was extracting files for my brother-in-law (his P-90).

I brought *my* laptop, (P-333) which has a CD-ROM and USB ports, and put the hard drive from the P-90 in that one. Even then, Windows 98 could not recognize an external flash drive. After some effort involving another Flash drive - my Creative mp3 player - and Creative drivers downloaded from the cafe (15 pesos an hour - about US $0.33) we got Win98 recognizing the mp3 player so that we could transfer files.

When we got back, I bought a Dell Vostro for myself, and will send my P-333 over to the Philippines for my brother-in-law to play with. The P-333 served its purpose; all I use it for at home is to surf the web via wireless connection.

The only reason I brought this up is, Win98 has extreme difficulty recognizing Flash drives - something Win2k has no problem with.

Michael R. Darrett, P.E.

Reply to
mrdarrett

Jim Yanik:

Since microsoft doesn't have a newer sytem released.

Reply to
Garamond