OT;W98 popularity

The VDM in Vista is a screamer. Get a clue.

Reply to
RoyLFuchs

Try DOSBox, DipShit.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

I'd bet a years worth of your salary that you are NOT license compliant, even though you think you are.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

I am just the opposite. I have several OS drives, and keep several data drives.

The PS3 has a similar paradigm. One cannot "see", nor damage the native PS3 partition(s) while running the Linux install.

Obviously.

He has no control over such a thing. He only controls whether or not the OS you boot is a valid, paid for license. It matters not that you just swapped the OS drive from ten minutes ago with the one you wish to run NOW. If you bought both, you have a right to use both... even on the same box. In fact... ONLY on the same box you installed them on. You CAN, however, MIGRATE an installation to another machine, providing that you discontinue the use thereof on the original machine.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Only because you are a big dope. My machine currently sits on a rolling PC desk, and there are at least three hard drives sitting next to it that are slot rail mount for easy change-outs. All I need do is pop the desired drive in (in place of the previous), and use the handy ASUS F8 boot menu to select which drive to boot from, and therefore which drive is seen as the FIRST drive in the SYSTEM. My OTHER alternative is to use my handy dandy boot loader, known as XOSL, which, despite being out of development for years, still works GREAT! If there was a PPC version, I would have it on my PS3 as well! I should work on the source code and get-r-done!

You guys are LUDDITE SLOW! JUMP IN THERE AND PLAY, BOYS!

BELLY UP TO THE BAR!

Otherwise, shut the f*ck up, acting like you know what is going on. Vista RUNS FINE, and so does many other schemas I see you punk f*ck deriding on a continual basis.

GROW THE FUCK UP.

Reply to
RoyLFuchs

I do the same thing, but I run virtual machines using VMWare Workstation. A runaway program can only overwrite it's own virtual disks, and if it does I simply revert to the last snapshot. Right now I have two copies of Slackware, one of Windows 2003 server and on copy of XP x64 running in seperate virtual machines.

Guy Macon

Reply to
Guy Macon

VMWARE on a MAC under OS X+ runs Windblows/DOS native!

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Please don't start this crap.

Opp, too late.

Reply to
Donald

How convincing you are.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Yes, I'm compliant with the original licenses I purchased under. Already been through the mill with Microsoft. Have the letters, though that took quite a long time to complete.

You want an address to send the check?

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

I'm already well-familiar with the mechanisms I currently use. I'd have to go and vet various tools before taking on that kind of option. And I don't want to spend that time. At least, for now.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

J>Not that I'm particularly interested in switching to XP ,

Don't go feeling like the Lone Ranger there.

Well, yes. That's what the Microsoft link was about.

Your blockquoting threw a wrench into this. What you included as context was about Kubuntu (GPL). That page says if you can wait (typically over 2 months), Canonical will mail you CDs (even a scad, if that's what you want)

--all at no charge...and they'll even pay the postage.

What you *should* have blockquoted (for *M$ eligibility*) was: ::4) Some folks are assimilated ::

::and turn to face Redmond whenever they hear "software". ::(The upgrade path has been mentioned.) ::

JeffM

Maybe because none of the "recent" attacks work on it? I hav used W98SE since it came out; it is my main OS (i run only 3 OSes).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Did you forget that there are still millions of working printers that use only a paraller port? And that many *new* dot-matrix printers are also parallel port devices? And what about those that want and/or use external modems (*ALL* serial port devices)?

Reply to
Robert Baer

"Security" patches???? No such thing for Win98SE; it was deep sized ages ago by M$. And since when do you "buy in" to the so-called security of those millions of patches for the newer OSes? IF M$ fired all but 3 top programmers, and had them write a GUI from scratch (say using specs from Win98SE or Win2K), thay could get an almost bugless GUI that was at least 10 times smaller than even Win2K.

Reply to
Robert Baer

You would perhaps be surprised at the relatively large number of scientific instruments that do not have absolutely up to the minute drivers and *must* run at very particular patch levels of W98SE (rare now), more commonly NT or XP. Certain versions and patch levels of OS were much better than others. There are still major issues with the Vista 64bit memory management that have forced several huge data source instruments to move to Linux. And the Excel support groups are littered with people crashing 3D plots in XL2007 with moderately big datasets. It worked in 2003.

I have a Win98SE capable box for backwards compatibility testing and the odd ICE and programmer that will not run properly on anything more modern (direct parallel port IO) with potential for race conditions on fast modern CPUs. But I would not pay good money now for another Win98SE licence. And I'd be tempted to give money away just to get rid of ME licences (whose bright idea was it to name an OS after a brain disease?).

The magic smoke came out the the ancient PSU capacitors in that W98 box a couple of weeks back. And although I seldom use it, you can guess that Murphys law was applicable in this case.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

The check I'd send you would crank your jaw sideways, boy.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

busses

not

that

Ever heard of a peripheral card that fits into your PCI port.

In the bad old days, ALL had to be on cards. NONE were integrated onto the MOBO. Cry me a river now that what IS on the MOBO is no longer part of YOUR list of desired ports.

You want ports... buy a card... plug it in. Jeez!

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

different

You really are a true idiot. "buy in"? They are free, you retarded twit, and they are patches against REAL vulnerabilities.

Vista IS a ground up rewrite, idiot.

Bullshit. You have no clue. Do you even know what OLE is?

Do you have any clue as to why we have what we currently have?

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

By "kit", I'm not talking about the PC, but the stuff you want to connect to it, which can easily cost far more than the PC.

Reply to
Nobody