OT;W98 popularity

MAC OS X and above on x86 hardware. Runs windows, DOS, etc. in NATIVE MODE. Directly accessing the hardware.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Hahaha... right after you just got done posting that it did not work.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Two things... travel abroad prepared.

A laptop without an optical disc reading device is a sad excuse for a mobile computing platform.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

He's an x-no-archive nym shifting troll with at least two different aliases in this thread alone.

Reply to
John Doe

is

Not necessarily so. I took a tiny Fujitsu notebook on a several month world trip and it didn't have a CD drive, and nor did I ever need a drive. By tiny I mean it was only 750grams and as small as your outstretched hand, a superb tradeoff in terms of size and weight. It was so small that airport security didn't even want to check it because it looked like a big PDA. USB connection was fine for all of my needs. The small size granted by the lack of a CD drive meant I could take it everywhere in my backpack, even while hiking. Total weight with the case and charger was still under 1kg. It was so small it even fitted in the wife's purse!

Horses for courses.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Then you start installing applications, that have dependencies, and the only reliable way ofgetting the right version for your installation is to use repositaries, and that means more hours of downloads. I don't think Linux is going to take off properly until they sort dependency hell out.

Reply to
Paul Burke

version is

I have a folding 20 gas broiler that I take on hikes. A seven pound laptop, much less my five pound DVD player with a six hour per charge battery is cake.

My PSP gets online, plays movies, MP3s shows pictures, yada yada yada... far better screen than nearly all PDAs at the time at a far lower price, and I can get online anywhere a wired b or g network is around (not that I would expect to see one on the trail).

The point is that I don't need to dumb down my pack weight at the expense of proper entertainment on the trail, much less a good broiled steak. A slimline DVD reader in a laptop capable of having one is NOTHING, and can ALSO be "taken anywhere in the world".

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

You're an idiot. Made basic install of months old release last night of Yellow Dog 5 on a PS3, and made all the updates within a 15 minute time frame.

That was about 100 updates. Had I installed it months ago, the updates would have trickled in as they came out, and been trivial to grab.

Just so you know, idiot... Windows updates their software the same way.

You don't know shit about computers, OSes or computing. You have a bent mindset handed down to you by someone no different than you. Another idiot that is a brand centric twit.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

About the only thing I use the optical drive in my laptop for while traveling is watching DVDs. I previously had a laptop without a built-in optical drive, though, and it worked fine... Sure, once in a while it's convenient, but for those looking to travel "ultra light" you really don't tend to need a DVD/CD drive in a laptop and for some people saving the weight/size is worth it. After all, you already have your various bits of software installed, USB memory sticks generally hold as much as CD/DVDs for transferring data anyway, etc.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

For web surfing, a Nokia N800 is a lot nicer than a PDA.

But of course a PSP is much better for playing games!

Now that flash drives are becoming popular, large (32GB or 64GB), and almost sanely priced, I suspect we'll actually see a bit of a resurgence of the "zero spindle" laptop.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Because, so far, it's the least unreliable version of Windows that's available. (except maybe 2K, but is anybody selling used copies?)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I'm not sure (I don't do Windows), but I think its the last version that is free of all that activation nonsense.

At some point, Microsoft can just tell users that they will no longer provide an activation key for older s/w (W2K, etc.) when hardware is upgraded and force them onto something like Vista.

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
The blinking cursor writes; and having writ, blinks on.

Or OS X if it's a late model PC.

Reply to
Don Bowey

Whaddaya, Un-American? You have to throw everything away and replace it every three years, or the economy will go into recession. =:-O

;-) Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

There is a very easy workaround.

Reply to
John Doe

W98SE runs some multiple apps a lot faster than W2000. I don't have a comparative analysis for newer systems.

greg

Reply to
GregS

But in fact, pre-Windows XP has seriously crippled memory management. Windows 98/SE/ME just plain sucks for running lots of applications or a few major applications at the same time. It might seem okay if you've never really used Windows XP. I don't miss having to restart my computer several times every day.

newsdbm02.news.prodigy.net!newsdst02.news.prodigy.net!prodigy.com!newscon02.news.prodigy.net!prodigy.net!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!cyclone1.gnilink.net!spamkiller.gnilink.net!gnilink.net!trnddc04.POSTED!dd653b87!not-for-mail

Reply to
John Doe

No... Win2K doesn't require activation either.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Others ran those OS for months at a time, with no problems. I had over 75 PDF files downloading at the same time, under ME with a poor dialup ISP. I have never reinstalled ME, yet it is still running. I've had several power supply failures, four motherboards and moved ME from a

20 GB drive to an 80 GB drive. In fact, it is running right now to stream audio from WSM to free up resources on this computer.
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

newsdbm02.news.prodigy.net!newsdst02.news.prodigy.net!prodigy.com!newscon02.news.prodigy.net!prodigy.net!newsfeed-00.mathworks.com!news.tele.dk!feed118.news.tele.dk!news.tele.dk!small.news.tele.dk!sn-xt-sjc-02!sn-xt-sjc-06!sn-post-sjc-01!supernews.com!corp.supernews.com!not-for-mail

Reply to
John Doe