good, inexpensive hot air station?

Hi - I'm thinking about buying a hot air station. A couple years back I spent a good deal of time investigating soldering irons and eventually settled on the Hakko 936 as it was fairly inexpensive (just under $100) and had the feature set of many much more expensive irons. Now - I'm hoping to find a similar hot air station. I've been looking at some of the Hakko units and they're all terribly expensive - cheapest I've seen so far was about $700 new. Ouch. There are some Chinese Hakko knock-off brands that sell similar looking stations for a fraction of the cost hopefully this link works:

But well, I don't like supporting companies that rip off other company's designs, and I highly doubt that they're made with the same quality that Hakko's products are made with.

I have seen some used Hakko hot air stations on Ebay for about $350 or so. Is this something that would be bad to buy used? Do any other companies make hot air stations worth looking at?

Lastly I should mention who I am and my interest in such a station. I am a third year EE at UIUC. I've recently started working on boards that use incredibly tiny chips - the smallest being some DFNs and QFNs (leadless .5mm pitch chips - awful little buggers). Though I'm quite good with my iron, I think those may be maxing out my capabilities, so I think it's time to probabaly look at a more serious soldering solution.

Thanks for your help,

Michael J. Noone

Reply to
Michael J. Noone

Try one of the Faux affiliates.

It was too good a setup :)

Reply to
Noone

If the EE lab doesn't have a hot air station, you should lobby them to get one. You can do a lot of work with a hot plate preheater and a butane pencil hot air gun. I have a "real" hot air gun, but I never bother to get it out of the drawer.

I think that if I were contemplating a big purchase, I'd wait for the dust to settle on this lead-free stuff and get a station that can do lead-free BGAs with vacuum pencil, etc.

mike

with links.  Delete this sig when replying.
.
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
mike

This one works very well - perhaps you can find one used on eBay... I use it on 0.5mm LQFP's.

If you have ground planes, you'll find that a pre-heater is nearly mandatory. These are pricey, but they work very well, particularly if you have parts on the bottom that would interfere with a heating plate.

If you can find one used to meet your budget, highly recommended.

Richard

Reply to
Richard H.

Yeh.. try the politician brand.. hedge.. er no,... bush.. mabe.. LOL

Reply to
TheDoc

One chinese brand is Aoyue. Their stuff is cheap, and in particular the nozzle prices are reasonable. Many of the 'name' brands rip you off, and then ship stuff that looks remarkably similar to the chinese !

For me, I've decided that hot air is not the way to go for rework - too many problems with uneven heating and stuff being blown out of place ! I've now got a far infra red system (Aoyue 710) which is much better behaved, and doesn't need nozzles. Looking at it, I don't think that it would be a huge job to make one, once you have bought the special infra red lamp - available as a spare ...

Don't try and use any of these systems without a back side pre-heater - ideally you want the backside to reach something like (solder melting point - 20C), and then the top gun (hot air or infra red) supplies the rest. Note also that using a (gel) flux even when removing seems to be a good idea - it appears to play some part in transferring the heat around.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

The flux helps the solder wet the joint because it eats the oxide(s) and exposes clean metal. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Flux improves solder joints by

A. Cleaning the metal B. Improving heat transfer C. Protecting the hot joint from oxidation

When I took my Navy soldering class, the correct answer was D: All of the above.

Reply to
Richard Henry

So I'd have to get a back side pre heater (something I've never even heard of) in addition to the hot air station? This is starting to sound really expensive.

All I want to do is be able to solder really nasty little parts (IE QFNs and DFNs). Is this not the correct route for me to take? Any other good methods for soldering teeny chips like these?

Thanks,

-Michael

Reply to
Michael J. Noone

I've seen a couple old Wellers at the EE labs that I currently have access to (read: not many). I'll ask around when I get back on campus though (3 weeks) - maybe they're just in hiding or something, though I doubt it. For some reason everything they do here (at least that I've seen) is with through hole parts. Bleh.

-Michael

Reply to
Michael J. Noone

I think the air stations are designed only to add the incremental amount of heat needed to melt the solder, not bring it up from room temperature. I'm not sure you'd have good results using an air pencil without a pre-heater.

And if your work involves ground planes, without a pre-heater you will have a hard time even with a big iron. A via or pad connected to the plane will sink an awful lot of heat, requiring more heat on the joint than the chip is rated, and making it very difficult to get a nice joint.

The toaster oven method is quite popular, since it tackles all sorts of parts for a much lower cost. A lot of folks have had good results with it, some even doing BGA parts, which is really impressive. There have been threads here recently that discussed the technique, articles, and websites.

Richard

Reply to
Richard H.

Michael,

Even buying used stuff off eBay, getting set up with a hot air station and a preheater will likely cost you $500-1000.

--
James T. White
Reply to

Years ago I bought a hot-air gun at Home Depot for about $50. I've wondered about putting separate variable controls on the fan and the heating element, along with a few other details such as thermocouple-type sensors and a microcontroller, if it could be used for SMT work/rework. This would make a good Circuit Cellar article - there was just one discussed using a small toaster oven for SMT work.

I have a hard time understanding why these SMT "rework stations" are so expensive.

-----

Ben Bradley

As an example of what you can buy in the UK - and presumably elsewhere - see

The requirement for back heater is not very demanding - in the past I have used a variable temperature heat gun (as used for heat shrink), and also a domestic oven ...

You may well get away with a kludged solution - you have to balance possible damage to devices and board against spending money on tools that you will almost certainly use again.

The trend towards SMD and things like BGA seems inexorable - and, if you want to play that game, you need the tools !

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Maybe too expensive. I do not know the brand. If it is industrial equipment to begin with, it will last forever, so used is fine.

A real, physical, auction site is a better place to buy used equipment, if the price is important and one has the time.

The problem with internet auctions like eBay is that it is easy to manipulate the bid by having friend bidding up to your target price. If friend should overreach and end up winning the auction, he does not have to buy from you after all because that part is a private agreement.

At a physical auction, friend (or you) would end up having to pay for the goods, a percentage for the auction house and sales tax on the lot. That makes the crowd more honest - (although it happens that someone will place an opening bid on ones own stuff to push the price a bit higher, risking a

25% loss of course in buying the stuff back. That is a good way to dispose of PC's for. ex).

The people buying there are professionals that will not pay more that maybe

15-20% of what they can sell for (unless they already have a buyer) because they know the odds are that a large part of the purchases turns out to be s**te, that will have to be disposed off. So you, as a one-off-buyer get a better price.
Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen