OT: Tired of Winning?

How do we know this one is true?

"In his Monday press conference, Jack Ryan acknowledged that he had been too controlling and expressed regret. 'There are a number of things I could do better,' he said."

The classic "mistakes were made"-defense. It's somewhat more honest than the usual furious "These allegations are outrageous!"-defense most politicians give when they get caught...and just as much not the kind of explicit denial an innocent person would make

Reply to
bitrex

man

ink

d do

will

and

he

ving the Electoral College would do for the President.

ought so.

The bicameral legislature of the US Congress is to prevent the larger state s from steam rollering over the smaller states in Congress as many twist th e functioning of the Electoral College to say it does (which it doesn't). The states have no control over the functioning of the Federal government o ther than appealing to the courts. If they did, there would have been no q uestion that states had the right to secede from the union and many other r ulings would not have fallen as to maintain the supremacy of the Federal go vernment over the states. That issue was decided a *long* time ago which y ou would understand if you studied even a little history.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

It's not so much that people get softer and dumber, as that the softer and dumber people don't get killed off as often, and stop being worried about gun-owning luantics like krw, so he gets to see more of them.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydeny
Reply to

You're only partialy right. The US was a confederation of states. States mattered and that was a good thing.

Reply to
krw

te:

one

g to

and

zed

ork

r the

emoving the Electoral College would do for the President.

Thought so.

ates from steam rollering over the smaller states in Congress as many twist the functioning of the Electoral College to say it does (which it doesn't) . The states have no control over the functioning of the Federal governmen t other than appealing to the courts. If they did, there would have been n o question that states had the right to secede from the union and many othe r rulings would not have fallen as to maintain the supremacy of the Federal government over the states. That issue was decided a *long* time ago whic h you would understand if you studied even a little history.

Not strictly accurate. During the process of confederation, states mattered a lot. The intial articles of confederation were too sloppy, to the point that the states couldn't work together effectively, and the existing US con stitution somewhat over-corrected the situation, and includes a number of c oncessions to the smaller states designed to get them to sign on, after whi ch the states mattered a lot less.

The senate was a sensible sweetner, and has been widely copied. The elector al college was a really stupid sweetner, and hasn't been copied anywhere.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

te:

one man

think

and do

ity will

ts and

ork

r the

emoving the Electoral College would do for the President.

Thought so.

ates from steam rollering over the smaller states in Congress as many twist the functioning of the Electoral College to say it does (which it doesn't) . The states have no control over the functioning of the Federal governmen t other than appealing to the courts. If they did, there would have been n o question that states had the right to secede from the union and many othe r rulings would not have fallen as to maintain the supremacy of the Federal government over the states. That issue was decided a *long* time ago whic h you would understand if you studied even a little history.

The point is your statement is irrelevant. Today's Constitution is a bette r document but not yet perfect. We are a nation of people and we need to f ix the problem with the Electoral College. Anyone who can read should be a ble to understand that.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

[...]

I assume you mean the entire USA rather than your town :)

I don't know anyone who has been shot etc. Actually now I think about it that's not true, my business partner says they used to play in the fields with shotguns. They would shoot at each other at long range, and the shot would sort of skip off the top of the crop like a flat stone on water. You could see it coming and had to get out of the way in time. Sounds like fun.

On the other hand I do know someone who knew Fred West.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Not my town fortunately not. My girlfriend lives in the city though there was a shooting a couple blocks away at a backyard BBQ a couple months ago on a Sunday afternoon, seven or eight shots fired I didn't get an accurate count.

No mistaking it for fireworks when it's that close. Apparently guy just walked up into their yard rom the street, spotted the person he had a grudge against in the small group of people and opened fire, then into a waiting car nearby and onto the highway. Intended target dead and one bystander seriously wounded.

You'd expect there to be screaming or yelling or something but there was nothing else we could hear after, just quiet sunny afternoon and the birds chirping and the folks at the BBQ standing around spattered with blood and brain material of someone's son, I suppose, and then sirens approaching from all around a few minutes later.

Ambulance removes the injured (the hospital is only a mile away) police block off the street for about an hour with tape, pick up the pieces, coroner's vehicle takes away the body, take photos, news crew is on scene for about ten minutes, everyone is cleared out except for one detective's vehicle in about 2 hours and that's that.

Reply to
bitrex

Only recall Trump claiming any sort of landslide which his victory wasn't.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

It's all so exciting and glamorous if a few people's personal Hell could be called exciting and glamorous.

Reply to
bitrex

What part of that description did you find exciting and glamorous?

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

"From over here you it sounds like a NYPD Blue episode. Or Christopher in the Sopranos, telling the film director about the characters he grew up with."

Reply to
bitrex

He's lying (it's what leftists do). The number of gun homicides is in the 12K/yr range.

Reply to
krw

It was considered to be a landslide, WRT the EC.

Reply to
krw

Not really. Trump calling it a landslide doesn't make it so. If Trump's win was a landslide then most elections are landslides therefore that is a meaningless term to use.

That is another reason to dump the Electoral College, it can distort the margin of victory making a marginal win look like a larger win or in some cases give a win to the loser of the popular vote.

At least we know the polls got it right. It was the Electoral College that got it wrong. lol

Rick C.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

to secede from the union and many other rulings would not have fallen as to maintain the supremacy of the Federal government over the states. That is sue was decided a *long* time ago which you would understand if you studied even a little history."

So it will take stronger methods, like collapsing the economy. And nobody h as to make that happen, it is already in the works. Just let Moody's speak a few more times and you'll see it.

Reply to
jurb6006

Danger is exciting to people who have balls. Drive 100 MPH ? Play with guns ? Swim when high and drunk ? Go boating in 3 - 5 foot waves and actually w aterski on it ? Take a little 24' Wellcraft with a racing hull and jump the wake of a big ship and slam down with enough force to hurt your back ?

Reply to
jurb6006

I ain't into glamor, but I saw no hell. It's just how it was. To me, boredom is hell.

Reply to
jurb6006

t to secede from the union and many other rulings would not have fallen as to maintain the supremacy of the Federal government over the states. That issue was decided a *long* time ago which you would understand if you studi ed even a little history."

has to make that happen, it is already in the works. Just let Moody's spea k a few more times and you'll see it.

I seem to recall hearing about this. I think it was in the 80's that I fir st heard of the impending economic meltdown. So are we finally there? Can we expect Old Testament, real wrath of God type stuff? Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling? Forty years of dark ness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...? The dead rising from the grave!? Human s acrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!!!?

Woe is us!

All I know is this life may not be perfect, but at least it doesn't last fo rever.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

You're so stupid that it's really surprising that you can remember to breathe. Unbelievable.

Reply to
krw