OT: Time to dust off the bomb shelter!

It's not bullshit, it's true.

As one check you might want to check on the actual default rates, who's defaulting, and on which loans.

And then add up how much money that segment is. It's huge. More than enough.

Then you'd need to read about how these loans came to be allowed. Such as:

And you'd need to read how our government subsidized and sponsored those loans.

Or you could simply answer this: if everyone's paying their mortgage, why do we have all these defaults?

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

2007 gold production:

World - 2340 ton China - 270 ton Russia - 156 ton

Total gold reserve 29697

Do you honestly believe that Russia, China or any other country can increase they supply 50 times to seriously change existing gold reserves?

Why have not they done it yet?

You can compare changes in gold supply with changes in dollar supply. Especially recent changes... Two trillions magically appeared from magician's hat.

Why would it do that?

--
Andrew
Reply to

Paper money was printed by different countires for centuries. Here goes our reason..

-- Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

ase

It doesn't take that big of a change to cause serious trouble. Remember that a lot of gold is used industrially.

Take a look at a map of China. Just South of the city called Wulumuqi a lot of geological exploration is just now starting. There is a huge area there.

Finding gold is hard. It is very conductive but not magnetic. It isn't found in large chunks so the conductivity is hidden. Basically you have to poke around until you find it.

The money supply grew rapidly from about 2001 to the end of 2008 It was the result of government policy. At the end of 2008 it decreased suddenly. The 2 trillion you speak of is less than the up and down swing that happened. It was the governments attempt to hold the quantity steady.

A lot of the economy works in parallel. Keeping the dollars exactly matched to the gold would force it to work serially. A bank would have to wait for a dollar to be received and accounted for in their books before they could lend it out. Today banks consider good debts to them as assets that they can lend on the basis of. To have a strict gold standard economy, this would not be allowed. The current credit problems would look small in comparison to how much this would dry up credit.

As goods and services are produced and gold doesn't happen to be found, the value of the dollar would increase. In a good economy this would mean that the lender would have to charge 5% or so just to break even on the money. As a result interest rates would be up near 9 or

10%. When the economy stalls, the value of the dollar stops increasing suddenly. Suddenly you have businesses with a 10% interest on debt going into a bad economy. Any credit dependent business, like small farms etc would be completely screwed (technical term).
Reply to
MooseFET

Dreaded

Apparently UK politicians are cheaper than US politicians.

Reply to
JosephKK

gearhead

I don't think so. Neither data bits nor magnetic domains weigh very much.

Reply to
JosephKK

market.

increase=20

Do me a favor, look up gold price manipulations. And gold rush commodity price changes.

Reply to
JosephKK

market.

increase=20

Nah. Any one commodity is manipulable. A better answer is some thing this:

8b2eca280
Reply to
JosephKK

One relevant question would relate to the reliability of the stuff it's replacing.

I used to work on miltary software projects in the UK. What I saw there would not reassure anyone that what the software would do, and what it was meant to do, would have much in common.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Bank will manage to do it if they will be:

1) Allowed to do any loan on any condition mutually and freely agreed with the borrower. 2) Would never be bailed out be somebody else's money.

In a very short period of time bad banks will die, good banks will thrive.

--
Andrew
Reply to

Gold reserve number I gave is a monetary gold reserve.

Exactly. Gold has a stalble low yearly supply, making it very good for currency backup on one side and very hard for the goverment to inflate money suply on the other side. The second is the main reason we are not using it now.

--
Andrew
Reply to

2a) including government purchase of loans of any worthiness 3) Never sell loans... 3a) unless there is complete transparency 3a1) How?
Reply to
krw

You simply cannot predict someone's future income with any real certainty. Technological advances can render qualifications and experience worthless. Natural disasters can leave someone's customer base penniless.

Predicting the future value of the security (the property) is even harder. And there's likely to be a strong correlation between an increase in defaults and sudden drops in property values.

The only way to guarantee repayment would be to require escrow of the loan's value, which defeats the point of a loan.

Reply to
Nobody

Banking has nothing to do with predicting someONE's future income. It's all about the odds.

Silly beyond description.

Reply to
krw

The concept of "only make credit available to those can repay it" has a lot to do with predicting someONE's future income.

That's what credit rating agencies are for, and they got it wrong.

The front-line mortgage companies didn't have much reason to care: they're just selling the loans on, so they'll make any loan which someone is willing to buy. The banks bought the loans on the strength of the credit ratings. So S&P screws up and the global economy goes down the pan.

Reply to
Nobody

Bullshit! You obviously know nothing of probability, insurance, or economics.

Think for a minute.

That much is true (you forgot the part where Barney Frank and Chucky Schumer bought the loans with our money), but has nothing to do with your above silliness.

Reply to
krw

Sure. Banks have been in the business of making loans since time immemorial; it's their entire business to know who'll pay, to take carefully calculated risks.

Or that was their entire business, anyway, until recent times.

And, as you say, in the olden days, #1 and #2 quickly killed those who weren't any good at it.

Nowadays we just nationalize them, set their pay, and dictate to whom they should loan.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Of course you can make those predictions, and pretty well in the aggregate--banks & insurance companies rely on it.

The technique isn't much different from averaging a signal out from the noise.

What you can't predict are national budgets...the sign is clear, but the magnitude ever surprises. ;-)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Right. And you can stack the odds farther in your favor by carefully choosing those someONEs. That's something that local banks do, and giant megaliths didn't.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

They certainly rely upon it, but they don't necessarily do that well; on both counts, see AIG, BoA, Lehman Bros, Bear Stearns, ...

This works when the noise is random (i.e. noise). It doesn't work for a systemic bias, e.g. when 95% of your loans are underperforming the estimates for both income and asset value (i.e. a recession).

When the entire economy is running on over-extended credit, it's not as if the entire banking industry can simply stop doing business until the country as a whole starts living within its means.

Reply to
Nobody