specifications

Here is the observation I would like to share with EE community. I am trying to optimize the SMPS I am working on, looking into switching losses. I tried STP190N55LF3 instead of IRFS3206 (supposed to switch faster). NO WAY! The former tuns off in 70+ns, the latter - in less than 20. STMicro specifies typical rise/fall time of 40ns... I have came across similar "specification" issue only once ~17years ago (do not remember the details). Have you? What manufacturer was it?

Reply to
Michael

The ST part seems to be characterized for 5V and 10V gate drive, the IR part for 10V, only.

There may be spec sheet errors when the ST ratings and drive circuits are mixed up.

In practise, a 5V gate driver would need lower pull-down impedances to produce switching speeds achieved with 10V characterized parts and 10V drive.

Gate charges are not specified for the ST part above 5V, but with minimum gate thresholds of 1V, it would be easy to get lousy switching without near-negative off bias.

RL

Reply to
legg