Relay turn-off time

Does anyone know approximately how long it takes for the contacts on a typical small DC ice cube relay to open after the coil voltage is removed?

BRW

Reply to
Bennet Williams

Usually listed in the specs somewhere.

Reply to
CWatters

I've measured an average of 15mS for a quantity of the type known as 'Continental Cradle' relays. That was with a diode directly across the coil.

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

Thanks for the info. The data sheet for the relay did not have this information.

BRW

Reply to
Bennet Williams

You can measure this, very roughly, by wiring up the relay as a buzzer. I usually get frequencies between 200 and 800 Hz.

Reply to
Michael A. Covington

--
Since the frequency depends on both the make and the break time you'd
have to (assuming they were equal) double the frequency and take the

I'm curious as to why you're asking this question.

Specs are specs, but while I don't know of a way to speed the drop-out of the contacts, a simple diode and series resistor across the coil is very effective in slowing the drop-out, as is "slugging".

Also, there is no typical "small ice cube" relay. Performance specs are dependent on both the manufacturer and relay model number. (These are usually available on the manufacturer's web site.)

If you have no specs available, you simplest solution (as another poster has already suggested is the wire the relay as a buzzer and measure the frequency. This should be sufficient to give you +/- 10% estimates of the dropout time.

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover