OT: Tax the rich???

found:

So are they paying too much or not enough? I can't tell.

Yeah, but you can't depend on increases in a progressive income tax regime to balance the budget. This is Rich's point.

We have a natural experiment - the Kennedy tax cuts - that show that repealing the Eisenhower high-brackets led to a spurt of higher economic activity in the United States.

Well, the Stones went to the South of France as tax exiles. And this whole ... logic looks like a parasite calculating just how much blood it can suck before the host dies.

$366599.htm

This is why people in Yurp live like the poor in the US.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Obviously?!? No, our government is running a deficit because there is fear of deflation, and the *actual* deflationary pressures cause receipts to be off. It's Central banking 101 stuff...

And the mote in our eye pales in comparison to the beam in the eye of some of the Eurozone failures...

but serioualy... it would appear that the previous, monetarist regime designed to help the fed with the dual mandate ( low inflation and high employment ) has created a pool of rents. So Wall Street firms have figured out how to play "heads I win, tails you lose" and capture those rents.

If this is the case ( and I think Tyler Cowan can make it better than I ) then being rents, they're fair game for taxation. But this looks like picking on Wall Street.

but it still won't gin enough money to balance the budget.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Instrumentation is hard.

Seriously, *NO* business person I have *EVER* met understood instrumentation at all. They would create straw-castles of Heisenberg-rot and then wonder why it failed. The best could knowingly *design* straw-castles of Heisenberg-rot and benefit from it.

*Ahem*.

That's one.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

00

You seem not to be able to read very well, try again this time slower, maybe two or three times, sleep on it if you have to. If you still cant understand what was said come back in a few days and i'll try and explain it to you.

Reply to
cbarn24050

Perhaps you should say what you mean, then.

Reply to
krw

John ("The Tax Man") Lennon is another.

krw

Surprise! There isn't one.

(not intended to be authoritative. just a nice gloss of the subject)

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

and...

Update: Via NRO, a pointed rejoinder from Ryan?s spokesman:

?The solutions offered by Chairman Ryan and advanced by House Republicans make no changes to Medicare for those in and near retirement, while offering a strengthened, personalized program that future generations can count on when they retire,? Sweeney says. ?Far from claims of radicalism, the gradual, common-sense Medicare reforms ensure that no senior will be forced to reorganize their lives because of government?s mistakes. The most ?radical? course of action on Medicare is continue to cling to the unsustainable status quo.?

?Serious leaders,? he adds, without naming names, ?owe seniors specific solutions to avert Medicare?s looming collapse.? ...Jim Thompson

               Romneycare is nothing like Obamacare
           Except for those parts which are the same ;-)

The Rolling Stones aren't exactly representative tax payers, and the example dates back to the time when the UK still had confiscatory taxes on very high incomes. Their ceasing to be residents of the UK for tax purposes was just one of many schemes of tax avoidence that became profitable when the income tax on high incomes was set too high, and their example was one of the - well publicised - bits of information that prompted a switch to a more rational policy.

And it isn't evidence for Rich Grise's claim that high rates of marginal tax make people stop working - The Rolling Stones are still performing, if not as often as they did when they were younger.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Most people pack their own, so no assumptions involved at all. Maybe I should have said, "if you've packed your 'chute right."

Yeah, to you. To me, going out into the cold and snow to crash into rocks and trees at high speed is the insane one.

When you jump out of an airplane, there's nothing to crash into.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Since the "Laffer peak" is a concept that only shows up in right-wing anti-tax propaganada, this represents the usual Larkineque regurgitation of the right wing propaganda he uncritically absorbs from the right-wing media.

The economists who tried to work out where the peak in the Laffer curve might be don't seem to have had much luck; wherever it is, cutting taxes in the US reduces the governement's income.

Probably not. They might see them as a way of encouraging corporate spending in particular areas, but not even the most brain-damaged leftist would describe a tax exemption as a "subsidy". A subsidy is something that is paid to encourage a particular behaviour, and tax exemptions merely free up money that would otherwise have had to be paid to the government.

As usual, John is relying on his imagination.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

or

=A0Tax

Krw has his ideas about what "lefties" think. These ideas don't have any obvious connection to reality, but krw isn't interested in reality

- it's a little too complicated for his tiny little mind.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Sure. Nobody in Europe can afford to buy enough food, which is why obesity is less common in Europe than it is the US (except that obesity is more of a problem for the poor in the US than it is for the rich).

This poverty leads them to to be healthier - on average - than US citizens, as shown by such measures as life expectancy and child mortality.

And their education is much worse. European poverty forces their schools to concentrate on subjects that can be taught witout expensive equipment, so Europe does well in math - which can be taught with a paper and pencil

while American children concentrate on learning how to drive cars and play golf ...

You should try a little more poverty - you current prosperity isn't actually doing you much good.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Actually Rich, there is. It is called "the earth" - you know, the planet that we all happen to live on.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Les Cargill wrote in news:iqpdbt$6ln$1@dont- email.me:

sorry,but a SUBSIDY is a PAYOUT,while a tax CREDIT is just not taking as much taxes from someone.Oil companies are NOT receiving payouts from the Feds. Nor are tax deductions for children "subsidies".

thinking that a tax credit to incentivise something is the same as a subsidy is believing that the government owns everything and they just let us keep some of their money. It's not so.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

But if you consider the current California budget problems where teachers are demonstrating in the streets, demanding higher taxes to support their inflated salaries and pension benefits, you have to admit it's simply GREED, and not much to do with helping anyone, other than themselves.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

Oh course!

I have a neighbor across the street that moved from CA last year. Both are teachers here now. For what ever reason, they decided they don't like our school system here in (CT) Especially in the county I am in, so they decided to move back to CA when school finishes.

With recent events of what is going on in CA with the teachers, I asked them the other day if they were still thinking of going back? There comment was, "Maybe this school system isn't so bad"

Goes to show you, what ever side the grass/money is greener. Pride has been thrown out the door, long ago. Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

ut

VER

0

..

I dunno what part of europe you live in but nobody starves in the UK.

I'm not sure about that either although it is true that we were healthier during rationing in ww2 than today. Probably because we eat too much food now.

For sure they need some of that, the planet might last a bit longer.

Reply to
cbarn24050

me:

e.

It's not fixable, you will have to retire later, if at all, because you havent paid in enough to cover your retirement expensis.

Reply to
cbarn24050

te:

or

..

.

They actually left because they hadnt paid their taxes, they owed so much that it was impossible to earn their way out due to the high rate on earnings.

Reply to
cbarn24050