OT: Surveys

Ah, so you *do* survey them -- just in an AD HOC, UNSCIENTIFIC manner! And,m those that respond to your queries (informal or otherwise) you seem to consider "sensible"?

So, it's not the fact that they respond to your SURVEY that makes them "nonsensible". I guess just people who respond to *other* surveys are nonsensible?

Are you sure the way you *informally* question them elicits the information you really *need*? Are you sure the way your phrase your comments doesn't implicitly bias their answers? So, when they next make a purchase decision, you are unaware of some other issue that caused tehm to "buy a competitor"? "Buy just one" (instead of several"? "Defer a purchase"?

It seems to me that a business owner would want to know how to ask the *right* questions of his customers (just don't call it a "survey"?) to get the "information he *needs*" instead of the "answer he wants".

I guess if you have only a few thousand possible customers, you can afford to contact them individually? What do you do when the number approaches tens of thousands? Individually select which *ones* you will contact and informally query in your ad hoc way? :>

I recall a CEO who lamented: "We lost our market when we were selling the most product, ever!" I.e., they wrongly assumed purchase orders could be counted as "positive survey results". Kinda easy when you're doing tens of $MM of business and think everything is fine and dandy!

Another firm approached development as a laundry list of features -- without even considering what customers *had* been purchasing.

Yes, ad hoc methods are a GREAT way of "surveying" your customer base!

Reply to
Don Y

We don't cold-call people. We talk to them when we or they have something to say. Most of the calls are from current or potential customers, not to the. Call that a reverse survey.

Blather. We talk about their system, their science, their signals, what they need to instrument. We help them if we can, or send them to someone else who can help them better.

We're aways doing new stuff. That keeps things interesting.

Works for us. Customers seem to like talking to people here who understand our technology, and want to understand their technology, and can have serious discussions. Do you think they would prefer an online survey? Chance to win a cruise?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

usually "neither like nor dislike" is one of the options.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

I'd really like to go with Republic Wireless, $25 month unlimited voice, text and data up to 5 GB, the they slow you down. However they can not port my number. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

A must-listen way to handle these... (Tom Mabe classic)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

My experience is that the questions that a rating on 1 to 10 usually have no way to indicate the question is irrelevant for you. And often will not accept leaving the question blank. It is amazing how poorly constructed some surveys are .

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

So, even worse than folks who "self-select" to participate in surveys... you wait for someone to want a product/info -- getting *no* feedback from the folks who've just decided to move on to another vendor, live with their

*current* equipment, etc.

And, you've still not answered my *initial* question; have you considered how phrasing a question affects the QUALITY of the data it reveals?

"On a scale of 1-10: how much do you LOVE our products?" "On a scale of 1-10: how much do you HATE our products?"

["We consider a score of an 8 or below to be a zero."]

I'm *sure* how questions are posed has an impact on the results obtained!

Reply to
Don Y

[...]

very good :) I couldn't pull that off though. Now I just tell them to wait and put the handset down for a while, carry on working.

And for Don: when I am "forced" to complete an online survey I always make a point of providing the most misleading information possible. The results of these must be utter nonsense, I agree with JL.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I wouldn't bore/insult my customers with canned questions.

I did recently email one really important guy, a Fellow at a big, big company. I sent him a list of possible future products that we're considering, with rough specs, and asked him to help us priortize them, and asked him if he has any other suggestions for new products. He said it might take him a few weeks to get back to me. He will.

On a scale of 1 to 10, that guy is a 10. His opinion is worth more than 10000 dumb filled-out surveys.

I guess that's the key. Personal relationships really matter. Surveys are impersonal.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I suppose it depends what you're trying to achieve, some brain dead promotional stats or some useful info from someone with insight.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I rarely fill out on-line surveys, but Ms. Thisisnone Ofyourstinkinbiz fills them out rather often.

Cheers, James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

(sigh) You *still* manage to miss the point of my questions. So, based on your lack of comprehension, I'll answer them FOR you as best I can:

No.

No. Only idiots respond to questions. So, in any venue in which one party might wish to MANIPULATE the opinion of the observer (e.g., biasing survey results; biasing perceptions of a political candicate; biasing the opinions of an empaneled jury charged with deciding the fate of one's client; etc.) it doesn't matter *how* questions are phrased -- the only folks who would care about the replies (i.e., folks to whom survey results are presented; electors; jurors; etc.) are also idiots.

They don't have brains so the form of the question is immaterial.

Reply to
Don Y

Do you think lawyers *casually* choose the words they use when questioning witnesses? "On a scale of 1 to 10, how much did you LOVE your (murdered) wife?" "On a scale of 1 to 10, how much did you HATE your (murdered) wife?"

Do you think politicians casually choose the way they present their ideas?

People conduct surveys to try to gain insight into decision making processes. People phrase questions (survey, courtroom, etc.) with an intent to drive a particular result. If you reread my original post, you can ask yourself: was the "

Reply to
Don Y

Don Y

Hey, you can have debates with yourself!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

How so? The survey mentioned in my OP was an on-line survey. The only time a person was involved was to *invite* me to participate. Sure,

*someone* would see my answers, if I chose to participate. But, someone sees my *vote* when I cast that!
Reply to
Don Y

Reply to
tabbypurr