OT: Space Station Fun

If you want earth shattering results, you'll need an Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

Reply to
krw

Nothing wrong with spending billions killing ISIS, and anyone else trying to muck up the world.

Reply to
krw

--- Which we wouldn't know had we not paid the price to find out, and "could be" means more money will have to be spent and probably more lives lost in order to find out.

Good thing you weren't in charge of digging the Panama Canal, eh?

---

--- One would hardly expect objectivity from a disgruntled stagehand flitting about in the wings attributing all of the play's problems to his not being in charge, and I'm sure that in the opinions of the people who were actually there, doing the work, lots of good things _were_ done with the money.

---

--- Space stations don't kill people, ignorance kills people, and resources have to be used - money has to be spent, in terms you'd understand - in order to wipe out ignorance.

Thankfully, since you seemingly don't have much of a punch, politically, and your rhetoric can easily be punched through, your stance on suicidal frugality is sure to get fewer people killed in the long run than if your nonsensical pretense at wisdom were law.

I'll bet you wept for joy when your soul-mates put the kibosh on our (US) SCSC - not that there was anything wrong with it - but because you're all a bit myopic.

John Fields

Reply to
John Fields

--
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip."

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

A lot of things can be determined without actually trying to do them.

Well I was there in Huntsville doing the work. And there were not lots of good things being done. Nasa spent lots of money promoting itself, claimin g it had done things that were done by other people. As claiming that Nasa created the integrated circuit. I worked on the computers used to launch the Saturn V. The launch computer was a RCA 110a. RCA made it to control oil well drilling and Nasa got them to add more memory. Therefore the "a".

I knew a writer wha got a bunch of money to write a book on Nasa inventions . They gave him money to do this, but the public was not to know it was a boo k paid for by Nasa. He lived on the money for a year and never wrote the b ook. But Nasa could not sue him without admitting that it paid him to write a book favourable to Nasa.

Dan

ew,

Reply to
dcaster

Their job now is to make Muslims feel good about themselves.

Reply to
krw

It should be noted that it doesn't take that much money. From the 80's until Obama, NASA's budget was 1/5 of the US Department of Agriculture. Under Obama it is 1/7.

The problem isn't wasting money but wasting time. All this time we could have been doing more discovery with the given amount of money.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

f good things being done. Nasa spent lots of money promoting itself, claim ing it had done things that were done by other people. As claiming that Na sa created the integrated circuit. I worked on the computers used to launc h the Saturn V. The launch computer was a RCA 110a. RCA made it to contro l oil well drilling and Nasa got them to add more memory. Therefore the "a ".

ns.

ook paid for by Nasa. He lived on the money for a year and never wrote the book. But Nasa could not sue him without admitting that it paid him to wri te a book favourable to Nasa.

A friend of mine was nearly canned from JPL for not signing off on a missio n- critical design flaw. The Pointy-Head Bosses explained his design review was just a formality, pressed him to sign. Hard. He wouldn't.

He described it to me: an r-c, used badly, in a logic circuit whose failure would kill the bird. Horrible practice on earth, fatal in flight.

They couldn't fire him--he was their only shot at making things work. But t hey made him eat dirt for a couple years over it.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

You might want to Google The Fistula Foundation before throwing stones.

It's never good to mock decency.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Hardly. We made money on the liquid helium plant and would have made a lot more on the accelerator itself.

The only upside was that I didn't have to spend any more time in Waxahatchie.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

It's one of the top-rated, most efficient charities around. For $500 they can change a woman's life.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

None of them migrated to CERN or to the French totomak project?

ITER even has some US funding ...

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

ny earth shattering results.)

Yet. The average life-time of a species is about 10 million years. If we ke ep on burning fossil carbon like there's no anthropogenic global warming, w e may be able to engineer our very own population crash, and guarantee that we never get to colonise a new environment.

In reality, genetic engineering will probably offer us the chance to engine er our own replacement, with a genome with built-in error detection and cor rection.

The new species may not evolve in the traditional way, but since this is re design by random change - the sort of tinkering that you practice - this ma y not be a bad thing. A 30% early miscarriage rate isn't exactly efficient reproduction.

High time we learned a few more lessons.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

A fistula is an abnormal connection between any two hollow spaces in the body.

The particular fistula that John appears to be a carrying on about appears to be a rectovaginal fistula between the rectum and the vagina, and it's really bad news, if relatively easy to fix with modern surgery.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Yea, I've heard of Ruth's but never been there.I usually eat lunch on Friday at the Home-Town-Buffet for $5.99 with a coupon or senior discount. All you can eat soup, salad, main courses, dessert, etc. On Sundays, I have wonton soup at an Asian place. They are really nice people. The soup is $6 and a couple weeks ago I paid with a $20 bill and forgot the $14 change and realized I was short when I got home. I went back the next week and explained I had lost $14 and they just opened the cash drawer and gave me the $14. Nice people. I try to duplicate their recipe, but it never tastes as good. I think they use a lot of salt which I'm not supposed to eat. I might ask the chef how much salt they put in it.

Bill Bowden

The point is that you do NOT "need it" to get the craft moving. You expend fuel getting the gear up there. Then you build the craft there. No part of the craft is wasted on an earth based launch.

All the expenditure getting it to the platform is saved as a "need" to be part of the craft's design.

It is a huge savings for the craft, and that is the part that counts.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

--
"Goodness" has very little to do with it.

What you mean is that you'd prefer that money which comes out of
your pockets as taxes be spent in ways of which you approve.
Reply to
John Fields

--

       George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)