OT: Space Station Fun

They still publish it, and I currently receive it. I've told them, several times, to stop sending me the silly rag, and they do, but they always start up again.

It's a nuisance to tear off the gummy plastic wrapper, so the outside can go in the trash can and the inside into the recycle bin.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Did I say that? If people with decent credit ratings order stuff, we'll sell it. Except cigarette companies, who we refuse to sell to.

Untrue and corny. As usual.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

OK, give us an example where it would make sense for an outbound mission to first rondezvous with the ISS.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

It was widely believed to be true until Kirchoff & Bunsen identified bright emission lines in the lab that matched the dark Fraunhofer lines in the solar spectrum. Before spectroscopy there was no obvious method to determine the composition of an object you cannot physically sample. It required a other refinements for quantitation but detecting elements in the solar spectrum found helium before chemists did on Earth.

Celia Payne did the initial determination of the quantitative composition of stars using SAHA theory in the 1930's - the result was

90% hydrogen with 10% helium and mere traces of everything else.

She was not believed initially as the result was a surprise at the time.

So even with the scientific evidence in front of them the old guard were not at all keen on the answer (her being a woman didn't help). So even after the answer had been determined (correctly as it turned out) there were plenty of scientists that didn't think it could be done.

She was notably the first woman to head up a department at Harvard.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

This is not what they did, nor what currently happens.

Apparently none of you are familiar with the John Glenn Research Facility. Among others.

You likely did NOT use a channel they monitor for such requests, and you were probably an asshole about it as well, if your posting history here is an example.

You should also have a separate plastics recyclable receptacle, and know how to properly segregate those elements of your refuse as well.

Even the wrapper on a soup can should get removed as the soup can goes into the metals bin, and the paper goes into the paper bin.

But I KNOW that NONE of the dopes who EVER graced this group does that as well.

It should not simply "go in the trash".

You're a nuisance as well, but nobody has succeeded in cancelling you yet.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The main lesson of the ISS is that space is very hostile to humans, and bodies decay in zero G, and radiation beyond the atmosphere is a hazard that's hard to shield against. Spinning around in LEO for months at a time is hard; going to Mars or to another solar system is not feasible with any forseeable technology. The ISS is not getting us any closer to the stars.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

can

That's all make-work nonsense. Any of that could be done in unmanned satellites, better yet hundreds of cubesats with diverse researchers.

"Watching the Earth" is silly. We need astronauts to push the shutter buttons on digital cameras?

"Study the space environment?" Absurd. The astronauts are "spam in a can."

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

They are not autonomous.

Reply to
John S

"Chances are good" implies > .5, yes? Do you have some authoritative figures/links to back up that statement/implication?

Reply to
John S

ns.

ook paid for by Nasa. He lived on the money for a year and never wrote the book. But Nasa could not sue him without admitting that it paid him to wri te a book favourable to Nasa.

A lot of the government ripoff activities do that, but they hire people lik e these worthless propagandists:

They do not identify themselves in their so-called histories, they always l ist the authors as individuals to add to the fraud that the "history" was t he result of a spontaneous and learned recognition of all the great things the "client" has done. Their product is pure unadulterated trash.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

That's a stupid comment.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

On a sunny day (Thu, 26 Feb 2015 10:46:30 -0600) it happened John S wrote in :

Wrong perspective 'colonize'

WE ARE BUT A CHEMICAL REACTION. Similar ones happen wherever the conditions are right.

That whole bullshit of earth in the middle and men the crown or 'creation' at the top, is all ego.

Th whole 'consciousness' thing is blown up, a sunshade with a photo cell is conscious of light, if it had a microprocessor its thoughts would be the states (I think it is a sunny day duh).

We ARE everywhere For a WHILE entropy.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

--
Yes, indeed.  I always turn off lights I'm not using.
Reply to

And it likely did happen, somewhere in a reasonably close galaxy, ten or so billion years ago. Imagine a civilization a million years advanced from ours. It could, on a whim, seed all the nearby galaxies with various (including DNA) prototype life forms.

Why not?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Unmanned probes are adequate to demonstrate that not much is happening on the moon.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Isn't it obvious that neither JL nor I ever said that we shouldn't have a space program? It's a matter of strategy. We had a series of manned flights in the 60's that were planned to let us learn something new each time, like orbital rendezvous for example. Today's astronauts aren't doing anything new except for little experiments that could be done remotely. It should be obvious that with the money spent on putting unnecessary people up there we could have had probes and rovers on every body in the solar system by now.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Since when is remote control autonomous?

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Exactly. And we could have developed all sorts of robotics, analyzers, imaging, communications tricks. Those few guys circling inside a tin can, trying to stay alive, aren't *getting out there*.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

When comm time lags get into minutes and hours, remote gadgets need a lot of local intelligence. Management becomes more abstract.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

More likely that we were "visited" and the DNA of the existing life forms here were "adjusted" to arrive at "us".

Sure, we are 99.9% the same dna as an ape, but I think we did not "evolve" from them. I think we were "manually" "derived" from them.

That is what makes us the most compatible with the chemical science of THIS system.

A different solar system might "evolve" a completely different "animal", with completely different "carbonic" make-up, resulting in a completely, yet similar dna make-up and profile.

Since we are all supposed to be sheep...

I'd say... "You are what you bleat."