OT: Space Station Fun

You need lift, power, and control. Other people had worked on lift and power, but the Wrights were the first to even address the problem of control.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Long term habitation in space has an affect on the body. We need to understand that affect. We also have micro-meteor experiments with panels that need to get changed out and ablated panels get examined. Better hands on than by remote. Even a manned return guarantees test material integrity. An automated re-insertion 'drop' of collected, tested media would likely harm the media. Cheaper to do right there in space.

While we are there, we might as well get some other science done as well. Developmental, research, observational, or otherwise doesn't matter. The fact is that it makes the best use of their time while they perform long term exposure studies and guinea piggery.

I would say that you completely missed the purpose, and your claim about the '60 missions having science in each one and these not having it is ridiculous. A huge number of participating nations and universities would also disagree.

And some of you dopes went to some of the previously mentioned universities too. How quaint that apparently your politics got in the way of your apparently tunnel visioned scientific myopia as well.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Oh no, not van Danniken.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Ten billion years ago they would have had a first or second generation sun, and no heavy elements.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I used to read NASA Tech Briefs. It had lots of silly little things that NASA would charge royalties for if anyone in industry did them. Things like braiding cables with a certain pattern to make a wiring harness more flexible.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

There is "remote program upload", which can then be program content which executes an autonomous "operational session" on the device.

But most folks with remote control of a device would rarely release said control. Perhaps see an auto program routine "take over" as a last resort, catastrophic failure mode contingency, but even that has at least one hard decision point involved. I wouldn't put that on my easy bake oven's control module.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I think you guys are just being silly now.

CERTAIN things are patented , because the company that discovered them was a PRIVATE firm.

I suggest the film "The Aviator".

Billions get spent and then the item or idea they were spent on gets abandoned.

Billions gets spent on ideas and items which get further utilization as well.

That it just how it goes with humans. We examine all we can and cast aside that which we consider as chaff, whether it is or not.

Next thing, you'll be dissing any advances accrued by the NSF or the NEA.

I designed a tornado proof concrete house as a young kid to stop tornadoes.

You guys act like you want to live inside a concrete box because that is the extent of your ability to observe the world around you.

With a budget of trillions, you should be glad that there is still a little tiny trickle of it going to scientific endeavor.

So what we can't get them to fix what is right here, right now. They have always been that way. Too many foreign expenditures, but we cannot renege on promises made already.

So wipe your political tears away and get with the program.

The only reason to call any of the folks at NASA an idiot would be for failing to maintain high funding numbers over the years, and failure to show just how important to the nation the program is. It spawns educational advancement simply by existing alone.

That kind of thing did not happen in the past. At least not with this ferocity.

Some folks have apparently cowed down to the political crap and allowed their degradation of the economy affect your continued loyalty in the fact that we need to always stand behind further scientific advancement.

Yet you idiots have no problem paying 5 times what it should cost for a friggin' CT scan. Mainly because your "insurance" "covers it".

The insurers AND the doctors need to take a hit on that front, and the only party coming out clean on that would be the CT machine maker, GE or SIEMENS, etc. as they actually ARE getting what their gear is worth.

It is the US paying for it 250 times over part I don't like.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Star

And that's probably the only way mankind will colonize other planets. We'll have to send a mass of omnipotent stem cells that self-assemble into a ful ly functional parent clone upon arrival. Supposedly these cells are immorta l so travel time is irrelevant, the only issue probably would be maintainin g their environment for the million year travel time.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Maybe they didn't need so many heavy elements. Maybe they weren't like us. Life is self-organization, and it happens in all sorts of contexts.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Ironically most of the interesting microgravity alloy experiments are potentially too dangerous to do inside a manned cabin. Same for experiments with fire in zero g where the flame front quickly goes diffusion limited and very hard to see or put out until you touch it.

On that we are agreed, but for what are largely political reasons the pretence of the ISS being important has to be maintained. Perhaps in a way it is in that it has fostered US and Russian space collaboration.

The modern space instrumentation is getting fantastically good - we are in a golden age of observational astronomy where there are new scopes probing the last previously unseen penetrating wavelengths. It will tie down the theorists and rule out some of the more fanciful models.

I don't blame the scientists and engineers up there for doing slightly wacky things from time to time - they must be bored out of their skulls. The rubber band Lego VdG was actually a very cute demo!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Why?

Likely? Explain it to us.

Got some numbers? Stats? Links? Just your feelings? What's wrong with you? Are you just burbling nonsense to see your own posts? Are you that egotistical?

Reply to
John S

The suns needed the heavy elements - those early stars were huge, but very short lived. And given that it took 4 billion years on the earth to go from the earliest single-cell lifeforms to modern civilisation as we know it, and that is with the benefit of seeded prototype lifeforms (according to the hypothesis here), it's fair to guess that this initial civilisation took a few billion years to turn up. Certainly an environment with stars living for a few million years at most, and supernovas roasting your neighbourhood every other week, would be a tough place for a young alien to grow up.

Swap to 5 billion years ago in our own galaxy, and the theory gets a bit more plausible.

Reply to
David Brown

Hey, what's a few billion years, one way or another?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

You made the absurd statement. It's your job to support it. Nah, you're just full of bullshit.

Fiction. What a loser.

Reply to
krw

If they're not like us, why would they have similar DNA?

Reply to
krw

Fact.

NASA is a PRIVATE firm?

Why? Did NASA invent that, too?

So you agree that it's time to throw NASA out with the chaff. Good.

You bet! Get government out of both. There is no justification for either.

Are you planning to lock the tornado inside?

Tiny? It should be zero.

We can't get them (NASA) to do anything with ISS, except pay the Russians to send another can of man.

Political? YOu're on drugs.

Wasting money is a good thing?

Wrong again, AlwaysWrong. My insurance company doesn't pay nearly the "asking" price. I have a $1/4M stack of bills to prove it.

How did we go from five times (a fallacy) to 250 times?

Reply to
krw

So exactly what is it that you're saving?

It's also needed in the craft getting the stuff to the "platform". Nothing is saved.

Nope.

Reply to
krw

Irrational.

Reply to
krw

Considering that it would not include you, I'm interested.

Reply to
krw

--
"Barely controllable" is what one first manages to pull out of the
morass of noise in order to prove the goodness of a concept, and the

Something like superregen VS TRF nowadays, several generations
removed.
Reply to
John Fields