OT: Space Station Fun

Well, John, I would rather spend "another billion dollars in the name of science" than to spend it on war. Or several other things, for that matter.

Reply to
John S

Man will never fly.

We can never know the constitution of the the stars.

And so it goes.

Reply to
John S

No it doesn't. It simply requires a start from space, not Earth.

The research should be on making an in orbit based, space flight vehicle assembly and launching platform. That way ALL the fuel included will be used for transit propulsion, not escape velocity thrusts.

We should also build an in lunar orbit drop platform for single man insertion drops into a catch bag on the lunar surface at the lunar station. Far cheaper than using a craft. 1/6 gravity means drops would be easy and 100% survivable and safe.

My idea.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snip

Actually, John... You are too immature to catch the fact that they were

100% behavioral references.
Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Do they just install themselves?

You guys are idiots. There are several things which require manual operation, and interpretation ON SITE.

We send up satellites with automated experiments all the time. The entire current Mars program is just that.

But you guys really miss the point of having men in space.

An entire battery of points, in fact.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yes, if planned beforehand. How would you do the experiments with remote control such as done by the astronauts when they were off-duty and just inquisitive? It was impromptu and provided a scientific study.

Robots and remote controls do not lend themselves to inspirational investigations.

Reply to
John S

I see that you are a complete and utter physics total retard as well.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Just how much did you spend on the project, John? A dollar? Show us where you paid so much money that you feel the need to gripe.

Reply to
John S

That's crazy. We had insects and birds and squirrels and fish to show us that flight was possible.

Who said that, when? Got a reference?

Do you think that *anything* is possible and practical?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Then please start your own business doing just that. We will see how it works out. And, thanks for your suggestions.

Reply to
John S

Multi-stage rockets take care of that issue. Discard the booster once you reach LEO sorts of altitudes. Why stop at the ISS? There's no energetic advantage.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

It isn't stable enough for that. Imaging platforms have to be very carefully engineered. The spook bird designers withheld key info from the guys making Hubble so every minor expansion of the solar panels affects pointing. You stand no chance with blokes pinging about inside.

Earth based automated asteroid detecting telescopes are incredibly good and you hardly ever get a human finding a new comet theses days - they are all picked up by one or other of the asteroid watching systems. eg

Once found Arecibo images them if they come close enough:

Obviously they are campaigning for bigger ones...

It is a bad idea to have nukes already in orbit. Someone might just be tempted to use them and a nuclear warhead has a much smaller flight signature than a ground based intercontinental ballistic missile launch.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

drops-on-space.html

You seem to have failed to notice that as the animal weights progressed up toward that of the peacock, turkey, and ostrich, flight became unfeasible utilizing the same methods as their lighter weight brethren.

I think he means at a level more intimate than our optical and EM observations from light years away.

Apparently the question is... Do you?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Got a reference? This

sounds lame to me, pretty much a failure. The little semi processing that was done could have been done better on the ground.

The wake field experiments were discontinued in 1997.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Can't you do your own research?

I don't think *everything* is possible. And what is possible is not always practical. Is that a joke question?

Reply to
John S

So, you're saying that they stopped so they could just choke their chicken for a while? Just for fun?

Study celestial mechanics and get back to us.

Reply to
John S

I've paid millions of dollars in taxes so far, and expect to pay millions more. I'd prefer that my money do some good in the world.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Of course not.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

What would be the advantage in having, say, a Jupiter probe first rondevous with the ISS? That would waste energy.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

One can design an asymmetric implosion nuke that can only be detonated by access to a big numeric key that times the detonators; it has been done. Multiple countries could have parts of the key. Lots of safeguards are possible.

At least we could have a plausible use for the ISS. And for nuclear weapons. But ISS will be retired soon, and burn up, anyhow.