OT: Sound Reinforcement

I'm doing some contract work in my spare time helping set up some audio equipment that a guy uses to DJ at local car show. Though I'm fairly certain I have it figured out, it's been a while since I've done this and I thought I'd run the topology I'm thinking of by some of the audio guys here to see what they think.

He has a Yamaha powered mixer:

Right now he's just using two iPods for the music and crossfading manually.

He has a BBE Sonic Maximizer rack, a 4 channel rack compressor, a DJ mic, and a "feedback destroyer" DSP EQ rackmount he'd like to integrate into the setup.

So it seems this mixer has insert points on every mono channel, several stereo channels, 2 aux sends that can be switched pre or post fader, one "master" stereo effects bus send on every channel that's post fader and a master effects return, and a stereo main preamp output and a power amp input.

I'm thinking that I'm going to put the two iPods into two of the stereo channels, and then strap two channels of the compressor into the "master" stereo effects loop. Take the two iPod stereo channels and mute their main outputs and instead route them post-fader through the compressor in the effects loop and on into the preamp output.

I'm going to take a 3rd channel of the rack compressor and put it on an insert point of the DJ mic input, and route that into the preamp output as well. Then take an aux send from that channel post-fader and put it into the sidechain of the stereo mix compressor to duck the audio when the DJ is speaking.

Lastly, I take the main mix out of the "preamp output" and then run it through the sonic maximizer and feedback destroyer, and then into the power amp input jacks. Only question I have here is that the sonic maximizer is designed for -10 dbV inputs only, and the mixer preamp out is +4 dbU only. I think the feedback destroyer inputs and output nominal levels are independently configurable with a switch, so maybe I should put that first and then the maximizer second in the chain?

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
bitrex

But then won't the master output be getting signal from both the channel outputs and the effect return inputs?

Reply to
bitrex

Well, this mixer has insert points as well, but it also has this stereo "MASTER EFFECT" send and return. It's not an insert I don't think, I think it's sent post-fader and the return gets mixed in parallel with the original signal unless the the main channel outs are muted.

Reply to
bitrex

if the compressor is in the master effects loop, then I don't think you need to mute the output etc, just use it the normal way

and just use the third comp on the mic channel insert.

but my real advice is to ask your questions here:

rec.audio.pro

Mark

Reply to
makolber

OK, are these really "EFFECTS INSERT" jacks.

Insert jacks are 3 pins ground tip and ring.

THey need to be used with special INSERT cables.

When you "insert" the plug, the normal connection is broken and the effect is "inserted" in cascade. THe signal passes out to the effect, and back i n via the same connector.

I don't mean to be insulting, but you need to understand "insert jacks" on a typical sound mixer before you plan out the system. The way they work i s rather unique, and if you are not familiar with sound gear, you probably have not come across them before. I know they were new to me when I first did this even though I have been in electronics for a long time.

Mark

Reply to
makolber

ct is "inserted" in cascade. THe signal passes out to the effect, and back in via the same connector.

n a typical sound mixer before you plan out the system. The way they work is rather unique, and if you are not familiar with sound gear, you probabl y have not come across them before. I know they were new to me when I fir st did this even though I have been in electronics for a long time.

I should add,,, effects returns are used for effects like reverb which are not in cascade with the signal.

Reply to
makolber