OT: Solar farm with batteries, to power LA

You seem to dislike cell phones a lot. Maybe they should have had a smoke detector on the boat?

--

  Rick C.

  ++ Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

They had smoke detectors. Whether they've recovered them and analyzed them is another story. One obvious problem, there was no reqpt for that boat to have them wired together, like they would be in homes built in the last couple decades. Another dumb, though perfectly legal thing was both exits from the lower sleeping area exited into the galley/saloon area.

Reply to
Whoey Louie

Sounds improbable.

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

What? How the f*ck did you get that stupid shit from what I posted? I wrote about bad power supplies and poorly designed charging watchdog circuits.

Oh, and "smoke detector"??? Boats of that size REQUIRE live, AWAKE, roving watches.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Whoey Louie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You're ain't all that bright..

The engine bay *maybe* had them. Too small to have a galley so likely only the engine bay. That leaves out the area the battery charging devices were in.

A ship's main "Smoke Detector" comes in the form of live, roving watch patrols. Been that way for a very long time.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Wrong, always wrong. It's been reported that there were smoke detectors. It also regularly passed Coast Guard inspections, which would have required smoke detectors.

? california ? story ? conc eption-boat-fire-crew-a...

13 hours ago - The crew of the Conception was asleep as fire ignited, ultim ately ... to the main deck, they found the galley and salon engulfed in fla mes. ...

NY Times: There are 19 commercial diving boats like the Conception operating off the Southern California coast from San Diego to Santa Barbara, according to the Coast Guard.

Federal regulations for small passenger vessels require spaces for overnigh t accommodations to have a smoke detection and alarm unit.

Too small for a galley? Good grief, it's a 75 ft boat, stupid. I had a 34 ft boat, it had a galley, 25 footers have them.

Yeah, and how well did that work out, genius? Some working smoke detectors in all significant areas would have been better. Ones wired together like in houses built in the last several decades should be required. They are very effective.

Reply to
Whoey Louie

And how well did that work? Personally, I'd put a lot more faith in smoke detectors in all main areas, wired together. That's what we do with homes.

Reply to
Whoey Louie

Whoey Louie wrote in news:5cde2297-2d21-48f9- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Until you got too fat for it? Or did you tard up your 'trading' just like you did this group and lose everything but your lard and your mouth?

34 ft means Break Out Another Thousand just about every time you take it out. Cheap lard ass like you probably set at the dock though.

You have a particular stench, boy. That must be the whoey part (woooohee stink and I ain't talkin' about good bud).

Why don't you go find a crematory oven, and jump in? Except you would stink up the place with that too.

Hey, I know... I have a new line of Kervorkian products and I need a tester.

You could test my new "Kervorkian's Cordless Bungee Jump". You just go find a nice, tall building and then download it onto your phone. All set, now jump off... WEEEEeeeee!!!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I assume you are questioning the 91% figure. It can get even higher:

-------------------------------------------------------------------- ZEHNDER FOCUS 200 VENTILATION UNIT

Rated by the Passive House Institute at 91% efficiency

ZEHNDER NOVUS 300 VENTILATION UNIT

Rated by the Passive House Institute at 93% efficiency

As the most energy-efficient HRV systems on the market, Comfosystems are up to 95% effective in recycling heat from the exhaust air to the supply air while promoting indoor air quality in tightly built homes.

Other companies can produce a bit lower efficiency:

Steve Wilson

China is also making most of the solar cells that will get installed in the Los Angles solar farm. China has roughly three times as many people as the US as a whole - let alone just Los Angles - so the comparison is a little foolish.

At least part of the rationale for the new Chinese coal plants is that the new ones are more efficient than the old plant they are replacing, some of which were only 8% efficient.

"For instance, the country built new ultra-supercritical coal plants (~44% efficiency) before the United States. China's coal fleet has currently (2017) an average efficiency of 38.6% compared to the US with 37.4%. "

Perhaps, but a higher price and more demand will drive more geological exploration.

There's also the point that lithium batteries may be ideal for electric cars, but there are other - probably better - options for grid storage.

This one seems to be in commercial use.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
Bill Sloman

Besides China's pollution issues which they're going to be forced to confront very seriously eventually, they have 30% of the world's population but only 6% of its arable land.

Long term at least we have China by the balls.

Reply to
bitrex

Yeah, right. Seems to me it's the ones with the money that have others by the balls. Look at what Japan has done with very little land or natural re sources in proportion to it's population. Having arable land simply means we can be good farmers for everyone else. The only way that translates int o money is to let the prices of food rise. Will that be good for us?

--

  Rick C.

  --- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Grabbing the sensitive bits somebody much bigger than you are isn't a great idea.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

In costal cities, you could use district cooling to reduce power requirements. Get cold water from deep down in the ocean, run the cod water through the houses taking away the heat and dump back the warm water to the ocean.

Of course you have to use heat exchangers to avoid circulating salt water around the city.

Reply to
upsidedown

I think so. They are at some fundamental disadvantages in a trade/tariff war. And in a culture war.

WWII was partially decided by food and fuel resources. Britain, Germany, and Japan were all constrained, but the US wasn't.

Reply to
jlarkin

Has that ever been done, using deep-sea water for cooling a city?

Reply to
jlarkin

So you think we would be fighting WWII again with China? lol

A shooting war with China would be over in a matter of hours. Neither side would win.

This isn't about a shooting war. China won't have any trouble getting thei r food supplies from the world market, just as they are doing now with many food supplies which we have essentially cut them off from. At the same ti me we are increasing our debt by subsidizing our farmers. I wonder who is buying that debt and what the impact will be if they stop buying US debt?

Another point, the Chinese population growth is down to 0.6%, only half aga in the rate in the US and much lower than many areas of the world. So ther e is no reason to believe they will be starving in the future either.

Like I said before, world dominance isn't about making war today, it's abou t financial dominance. Khrushchev wasn't talking about bombs when he said, "We will bury you!" He just couldn't pull it off.

--

  Rick C.

  --+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

I remember reading a long time ago about using temperature differentials in the sea to power sterling engines for energy. Seems the scale is the hard part. With a relatively low temperature differential it is hard to get mu ch power and it just isn't economical.

Using heat for heat is a different matter, but there is still the issue of scale.

--

  Rick C.

  -+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

My girl friend works in the field of America-educating the children of some of China's well-to-do. I mean, those kids have a "culture" such as it is. It's mostly indistinguishable from "American" culture the kids mostly enjoy the same movies and foods and clothes and cars and TV shows etc.

But on average way more ignorant of their own country's history and culture and art and religion and politics (or anyone else's for that matter) than the average American or European student. Which would seem hard to achieve. mind you most of these students are _graduate_ students going for advanced degrees

The US is somewhat less constrained in the arable-land dept so long as the climate change situation and water resources situation can be controlled to preserve the advantages we got.

Reply to
bitrex

More CO2 and more precip and modestly higher temps would all be good for agriculture. Change is not automatically bad.

Reply to
jlarkin