OT: Snow

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

221 PM EDT SAT OCT 29 2011

...WHERE'S MY GLOBAL WARMING...

...A HISTORIC EARLY SEASON SNOWSTORM FOR THE TRI-STATE REGION...

CTZ012-NYZ078>081-179-300230- /O.NEW.KOKX.WW.Y.0013.111029T2000Z-111030T1000Z/ SOUTHERN NEW LONDON-NORTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-NORTHEASTERN SUFFOLK- SOUTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-SOUTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-SOUTHERN NASSAU-

221 PM EDT SAT OCT 29 2011

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EDT SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR HEAVY SNOW AND WIND...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EDT SUNDAY.

  • LOCATIONS...MOST OF LONG ISLAND AND ALL OF EXTREME SOUTHEASTERN CONNECTICUT.

  • HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW AND WIND.

  • ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW.

  • WINDS...NORTH 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH.

  • TEMPERATURES...IN THE MID 30S.

  • VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

  • TIMING...RAIN WILL OCCASIONALLY MIX WITH SNOW THROUGH THE REMAINDER OF THE AFTERNOON. THE MIX WILL THEN TRANSITION TO ALL SNOW OVERNIGHT BEFORE ENDING EARLY SUNDAY MORNING.

  • IMPACTS...WIDESPREAD DOWNED TREES AND POWER OUTAGES CAN BE EXPECTED AS A RESULT OF THE SNOW AND STRONG WINDS. TRAVEL WILL BECOME EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS AT TIMES OVERNIGHT.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW...SLEET...OR FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

&&

$$

JMC

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Just sent my "buddies" in Huntington a "Bwahahahahahahaha! I escaped just in time" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I've got a client about 10mi from there, in Stony Brook. Have to ask them on Monday. Winter can be ugly out there, moisture plus cold is not a nice mix.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Oh, come on. Even you aren't that dumb. So I know you are just being mean. Scientists are sussing out modest, gradual trends from underneath weather swings around the world and looking at hemispheric and global trends over periods of 30 years and longer anyway and you bring this up as valid?

Even the widely publicized Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature project, with some scientists chosen who have a written record of casting sizeable stones at climate scientists and their work product, and swimming in Koch brothers funding as well because of their earlier stands, have testified in Congress earlier this year unable to dispute IPCC results and posted on the web quite recently several papers (not peer reviewed) with their own results regarding global warming -- it's happening just as climate scientists have said and with the same magnitude, though they claim better precision.

I don't waste my breath with you much on this subject, but once in a while it is worth throwing some cold water to douse the idiocy when it flames up.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Maybe it's here - at 60 degrees North, it is pitch dark at 11 pm and the temperature +9 C.

--

Tauno Voipio
Reply to

Most of the "warming" is due to hot air from liberals ;-)

Any real warming is due to our normal cycles. Why are liberals so ignorant of history? I suspect they are so narcissistic that they want to destroy all religion so that the only "god" before you is liberalism and free-loading for all. ...Jim Thompson

It's here...

...Jim Thompson

Scotland has been getting patches of snow on high ground for a couple of weeks now, us sassenachs in the south usualy get it about a month an arf after the US, but at the moment we're getting a lot of warm air from the SW supplementing the gulf stream to keep it mild.

A while back the weather forcasts started including jet stream info, but they seem to have dropped it again.

Reply to
Ian Field

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson has a funny idea of what might constitute a "normal cycle".

In this particular case, because the history that Jim thinks he is referring to exists only in his fertile and ill-informed imagination.

There's nothing particularly "liberal" about believing in scientific evidence. Conservatives, on the other hand, believe in whatever strikes them as expedient - such as weapons of mass destruction, thereby saving themselves from wasting time thinking about evidence or consequences.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

It's particularly bad when the trees are in full leaf. I remember a foot of wet snow on Oct. 4, about 23 years ago (son's ninth birthday). It sounded like a war zone with the trees snapping. We were living about 80mi. North of NYC, at the time. We lost power for three days. Some were without power for more than three weeks.

Reply to
krw

I love crappy weather. I get to stay in. Sip on some hot chocolate. I get to feel the heat radiating from the test equipment. Curl up with a nice warm computer and run snubber power dissipation simulations.

Reply to
D from BC

Yup, just north of the city is getting hammered. Lots of power outages. They (NYC) have advised people to stay out of the parks, because of potential falling branches.

It looks like rain/snow line is wrapped around long island, may be an inch or two stuck to the ground here by the morning .

Martin Riddle

Why should history be an exception?

Michael A. Terrell

I was skiing on the 4th of July, and it looks like we'll be skiing again by Thanksgiving. At this rate, we're going to be growing glaciers in the middle of California.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/truckee/July_4_Skiiers.jpg

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/truckee/July_4_Bikini.jpg

John

Trust John to jump to the wrong conclusion. Global warming means warmer oceans, warmer ocean mean more water evaporating over the oceans and falling - as snow in winter - on coastal mountains.

Since more of the snow melts in summer, the glaciers still manage to retreat. There's now more snow falling on Greenland and Antartica than there used to be, but the GRACE satellites show that the ice sheets are still losing mass, rather than gaining it.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

We'll all believe it when Al Gore does.

Reply to
mrstarbom

I enjoyed going for a swim this afternoon in my pool, then going out to my deck to dry off in the late afternoon sun... ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

It's in the lower 40s this morning in the Orlando area.

Michael A. Terrell

about 24 inches of global warming on the ground here. Mess, very slick under, so lot's of slipping and sliding.

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Reply to

We roasted two chickens on the spit on the "barby", and ate out on the upper deck (near the hillside), "candlelit" by the umbrella LED lighting ;-) ...Jim Thompson