to a

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

use

but

the

y call

me

linders

The only thing "unlimited" is the lengths some carriers will go to in their efforts to mislead the public. I won't name names, but we know who they are.

Reply to
mpm

I meant, is there a monthly limit. I've heard there may be a 1GB limit before they kick you, or some such.

Reply to
krw

That goes without saying.

The difference is what the lengths are. Without names it's hard to make a decision. ;-)

Reply to
krw

When one doesn't have cable available, even from the (much worse than AT&T) cable franchise?

Reply to
krw

blinders

No idea. At that speed it would take a long time to get up to a gigabyte.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

blinders

I'm sure I could do it, as my only connection. As a mobile and backup, agreed, not likely.

Reply to
krw

...OK; what provider, what is the rate, and is the reception as bad as CLEAR or Cell phone (if so, then it ain't gonna work nevermind i am "in" Portland OR - i am in the boonies of it).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Meaning $39/mo in addition to POTS; about the same as getting DSL (not counting taxes and fees).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Did not know that, but it is a moot point with no in/out calling capability.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Just as well, since cell phones (and WiNet) do not work here (at the house, anyway...walk 200 feet to the street and all is OK).

Reply to
Robert Baer

  • The sucker ads eXplicitly state (indirectly and in the finest print) that it is an introductory rate. Terminology normally used is (for the next N months where N has varied from 1 to 6).
Reply to
Robert Baer

Been only 8 months, and you already f***ed it up again.

Beryl

I wish it were as cheap as that--for two BBs and three other phones for the family, it comes in around $250. On the other hand, you also get Web and email on your BB.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

not

works

Use a cell phone or perhaps MagicJack, Vonage, or such.

Reply to
krw

This NG has been around this block before. He has the line he has and pays the rates he gets. For a worthwhile question, can Robert read fast enough to make download a whole days worth of NNTP and such worthwhile? Or does he read (and write) slow enough that a 2400 baud modem can keep up with him? Using the web, bawg, almost all websites have so much bloat in them that they require a DSL line.

Reply to
JosephKK

Odd, my current cell phone is full duplex. Ones from 20 years ago might not have been, conference phones are definitely modal.

Reply to
JosephKK

Renew that plan for as long as you can, retroactively, that price is going away.

Reply to
JosephKK

Yep, every damn one of them.

Reply to
JosephKK

It is possible, for some price, to get megibit/s mobile service throughout most of the urbanized US and Europe. Is that high speed enough for you?

Reply to
JosephKK

I think it depends on the connection. Perhaps it depends on how jammed the tower is and how many calls they're compressing into the channel.

Reply to
krw