OT: slow dial-up verification

Jim, We presently have one land line (verizon) and a Vonage line for us. We have two cel phones, but we don't use them much, so we have Virgin Mobile plans where we just have to top up every three months. I think I have $150 on mine at the moment...

We have considered moving from DSL to cable modem, and putting both lines on the Vonage system. It can wire into your house wiring just fine...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

We want to keep our cell phones, on Verizon, really good coverage, but add one of these to the house, so we can lose the Qwest rip off...

Anyone have experience with any of these products? ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Yikes! That's steep. I have naked DSL from Verizon and the entire bill is $19.95 (up from $19.65 a couple of months ago - ??). DSL sucks, but it's not too bad; cheaper than a phone line. If I could get cable here, I hear it's worse than DSL. The city just won a referendum to install fiber "to the house" and go into the TV and Internet business, so we'll see how that works out.

Reply to
krw

I dropped land lines about six years ago for cell phones. I've been considering a dock, too. I'm also considering a pay-go carrier since I rarely use my phone.

Reply to
krw

For business use, I'd be a little concerned about the sound quality of a cell phone, particularly the half-duplex issue.

Reply to
krw

Depends where you live. There is typically a vast over supply of cabled bandwidth in cities and a big shortage out in the countryside (a place where mobile coverage can be spotty). I get around 3.5Mbps on ADSL which isn't bad on ancient copper wire with rural junction boxes full of spiders and 12 miles to the exchange. The neighbouring village on a different exchange also have broadband in theory but the highest speed anyone can sync at there is a whopping 0.1Mbps (barely twice the speed of 56k and slower than bonded ISDN once compression is enabled). Their telco reluctantly admits there is a problem.

In the cities you have a choice of multiple carriers and up to 20Mbps (in reality closer to 10) over copper and 100Mbps over fibre.

The OP would probably be much better off with a 3G network dongle on a pay as you go charged per MB downloaded contract anyway.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Been there; the "important" 56K and v.34 etc are partially undocumented and hidden and what is not hidden is quite different. I played a lot with what i could get to no avail - most variants from default were decidedly worse. And a new HD with fresh installation not only negotiates fast, it also communicates at 48K instead of the miserable 28.8K i have been experiencing for many months. And there are no behind the scenes initialization strings in present or "fresh" installs - which begs the issue to no end.

Reply to
Robert Baer

...i would say "bastardized" to be polite.

Reply to
Robert Baer

So, how in the *** does one use a cell phone for (high speed?) internet connection?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Qwest does not give a damn about customers, only the money. About $40/mo including all of the taxes, fees and taxes on the fees and fees on the taxes got POTS. ADD another "only" $20/mo (bait and switch introductory rate) for DSL. Undisclosed additional taxes and fees add to that. How the hell can DSL be "cheaper than a phone line" when it REQUIRES a phone line?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Amen. Especially if the other side is using a speakerphone in some echoing conference room. Being on a cell destroys the flow of the whole meeting and annoys everyone.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

My BlackBerry gives me about 100 kb/s, by using a USB cable and the BB manager software. It's great as a backup, e.g. during power failures, or when working on the road. Mine comes as part of the $39 unlimited data plan.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You can get DSL without phone service, and some of the fees only apply to phone service.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I don't live in a city, and there are plenty of spare pairs. The UK may be different, but in the US people had pretty much abandoned fax machines and another line for their computer. Some get their phone service through their cable TV provider, as well.

According to the techs I've talked to, ISDN was crap from day one.

Multiple carriers? I can get a landline from Centurylink . Even if I used one of the 'alternative' companies, all the service is supplied by Centurylink, but billed by someone else.

How do you know that it's availible where he lives?

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

My LG VX9800 flips open to expose a nice-sized QWERTY keyboard and a speaker-phone. I've handled conference calls quite nicely while parked in my car while my wife shopped the mall :-) ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

One doesn't... one uses the cable connection :-) ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Well, that describes all companies, whether they admit it or not. Customers are, however, the route to that money. I certainly would put AT&T (sorry, I said Verizon before) strongly in that category.

I was paying over $50 in VT (Verizon) for POTS. It was about $35 here until I got rid of it and went naked. ...but that's the PUC at work.

Like I said, that's what we pay for naked DSL, though the slowest (crappy) service. Not an introductory rate. It sure beat POTS, though.

PUC. Unlike POTS, It's a competitive service. More expensive and people buy something else. "It doesn't have to make sense. We're the phone company."

Reply to
krw

Wow, memories of teleconferences over SBS (Satellite Business Systems) come flooding back.

Reply to
krw

Is "unlimited" truly unlimited? I may have to re-think my phone-only blinders (they keep bugging me to sign a new contract).

Reply to
krw

Sort of. In some places when you try using the web browser, it says "This is a WiFi service only." Other places it works fine. I've never had it refuse to connect as a modem.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs