Re: Is this why we have Gravity?

Is this why we have Gravity?

> >A correct theory of gravity will show us these four (4) things: >1. It will show us why gravity also acts like acceleration (principle >of equvalence). >2. It will show us the actual cause of gravity. >3. It will show us why gravitational mass and inertial mass are >identical. >4. It will show us the speed of gravitational attraction. > >Newton said gravity was acting at a much faster speed than Einstein. >Which one of them was right?

Einstein.

John

I think that #1 was stated in the form of the infamous elevator thought experiment, where it was stated that someone in an elevator could not tell the difference if (1) it was on/near a planet (or mass) or (2) it was being towed / pushed at the same G rate. Well, if you hold to that, there are SIMPLE experiments inside the elevator that will tell (and i am NOT talking of measuring wall stresses).

Reply to
Robert Baer

The elevator picture is an explanation, not a theory. Gravity is local, which means that it obeys a differential equation, as opposed to (say) an integral equation, which (often). The physical extent of the elevator is assumed to be infinitesimal, so things depending on tides (i.e. on gradients of the gravitational field) are out of court.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

Probably not.

mike

Reply to
m II

John

So, the experimental results show that gravity propagates at c (+-3dB). I like it.

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

An elevator allows at least one person to be (comfortably) inside, so that person could use the Mossbauer effect to determine a gravity gradient..

Reply to
Robert Baer

That's the point--tides are out of court because they only affect extended objects, whereas the elevator picture is intended to be infinitesimal in size compared to the length scale on which the gravitational field varies.

There's no elevator in Einstein's field equations, any more than there's a test mass in Newton's law of gravitation, or a microscopic void in Maxwell's equations. They're all fully local, because they involve only differentials of quantities evaluated at the exact same point.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I guess Einstein moved slowly, in later life ;-)

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

So, no elevator..gotta talk to that cable man again!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Later the elevator got upgraded to a constant acceleration rocket.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax