OT Slate star codex is back.

With a different name.

I liked this linked opinion piece about NYT.

George H. doxxing sucks.

Reply to
George Herold

Sounds like he's ranting about

The Jewish Octopus:

Reply to
bitrex

Hmm well today's 'propaganda' is nothing like your fathers. We get these trivial stories propagating, 'cause they fit some narrative. This happens in all of media... left right and center.

I'm happy Scott is back, he's a rational voice that I know/trust. (and trust here doesn't mean I agree with everything, or think he is right about everything.)

Who do you get your news from? (I try and ignore most of it, and listen to sports talk on the radio... Go Bills!!!)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Doesn't the guy have an IQ of like 140 and fancy himself some kind of historical expert? The historical significance and symbolism of using an octopus while going on what seems to be a deeply paranoid and conspiratorial diatribe about how the media controls everything and has its tentacles everywhere can't possibly have been lost on him.

I haven't read much of his earlier material but from an outside perspective at least this piece sounds like the ranting of a madman.

Reply to
bitrex

"Do not write what it wants you to write, or what you think it wants you to write. Learn to recognize its voice in your head. This will take time since it is likely that its voice has become louder than your own. But you are still in there somewhere. I promise you. Do not go to the octopus or any of its tentacles and ask it what it thinks."

He's hearing voices in his head?

Reply to
bitrex

ve.

.

Writers do like to make abstract ideas more concrete, so he might merely be tarting up the idea of reporting you own authentic experience rather than presenting a more conventional narrative, but one neighbour back in Cambr idge did happen to be schizophrenic, and had a habit of waking up her next- door neighours in the middle of the night by loudly telling her voices to s hut up.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Ideas-of-reference are also common in the disorder, they are generally sourced from the computer god brainbank brain on the dark side of the moon via the eyesight brainwash radio directional antenna loop installed into all humans at some point while we're asleep. A rant vaguely on the topic:

As for the rant posted it's hard to know what to make of it other than a man who feels he was wronged by the NYT is extremely pissed-off at the NYT, which would be a common way to feel I guess. As I understand it he was "doxxed" essentially by a reporter telling him their conversation was "off the record" and it wasn't, one of the oldest reporter-tricks in the book. and I suppose falling for one of the oldest reporter-tricks in the book must be extra-frustrating for someone who view themselves as being of Godlike intelligence.

If your personal or professional life depends on your secret identity not being revealed to the general public then don't talk to the media, simple as that. Batman and Superman don't do press conferences, either.

Reply to
bitrex

Oh Rob Rhinehart? I have no idea, the above is the first thing I've read by him. But I can understand media types (people who sell their writing) could be frightened by doxxing and cancel culture.

I'm glad that Scott of slate star codex is back. He ran a wonderful blog and astral codex ten promises to be much of the same. fingers crossed, George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Ahh, I didn't realize they weren't the same guy, I thought "Scott Alexander" was a pseudonym, my bad. That makes more sense.

Here's another controversial book, the French demand it banned!

Reply to
bitrex

Yeah, As I read that, the 'voice' he hears is what Eric Weinstein calls the GIN. Gated Institutional Narrative. The story about the world that the institutions, (media, academia, government, big business) want you to tell/ hear.

Feel free to call me a crackpot too, if it makes you feel better. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

tive.

an

as

ou

me

y be tarting up the idea of reporting you own authentic experience rather t han presenting a more conventional narrative, but one neighbour back in Cam bridge did happen to be schizophrenic, and had a habit of waking up her nex t-door neighours in the middle of the night by loudly telling her voices to shut up.

(is there some symbol by which I can indicate that what follows is irony?)

Yes, yes, please keep it up the response of the GIN to any calling out, is to frame the caller outer as a kook. GH

Reply to
George Herold

Well it is, Scott revealed his real name at the end of the blog. Scott Siskind. Here's his new medical practice website.

He quit his other job.

The french ban all sorts of silly things.

George H,

Reply to
George Herold

I don't think you're a crackpot I just disagree with the idea that media and academia are in precisely the same boat with the second two.

Academia in particular has about zero real power as compared to the first three, other than the power to annoy/"cancel" right-wingers and various types of grandiose fascists and other professional fat-heads and piss them off on the Internet, which most types of people would consider a rather minor superpower in the grand scheme of things but is surely extremely annoying to wing-nuts.

My academia-girlfriend jokes that the US right is firmly stuck in the past, going on about de-funding academia like they don't know they've been highly successful at it over the past 40 years. "They talk about these de-funding ideas like there's billions and trillions of dollars of government cash flowing in from somewhere that hasn't been de-funded, already..."

I've read Eric Weinstein's Twitter from time to time in the past he seems like a sophist, honestly very little of what I read can I remember offhand. He's a mathematical genius who I guess seemed to think would genius-transfer to a discipline like writing about "big ideas" in general, I don't think it does in his case, Scott Alexander seems better at it FWIW.

Reply to
bitrex

Not academia-academia strictly speaking she's just a teacher, is how she'd define herself. Without a PhD you're not much in academia-academia.

Reply to
bitrex

As you can probably tell this "academic dark web" stuff or whatever it's called doesn't impress me much; I'm finally just a simple poor boy from the country (or as "country" as New England gets, at least.) I buy my jeans from Target and I like going to flea markets. It tends to strike me as a lot of highly-credentialed mostly white dudes strutting around making hot takes for the benefit of some cult-like group of followers hanging on their every word, and patting each other on the pack telling each other how great they are for doing it. Fancy fancy!

As Shania once put it "that don't impress me much"

Reply to
bitrex