Open positions: Quantum computing hardware startup engineering team

Anyone looking for a challenge, perhaps a great moment in tech history, and to join an incredible team of quantum physicists building machines no one has before? QuEra Computing Inc is building an engineering team now from th e ground up. We are interested in a very broad skill set, ranging from proj ect management to design and prototype of microwave electronics, opto-elect ronics, high-speed digital and precision analog instrumentation. If you lov e what you do, and want to learn new things in a fascinating new area, we'd love to hear from you! And if you know the perfect person for this job, pl ease forward this post!

For more information, click the link above and hit "Careers", or inquire at employment a-t quera-computing.com.

Reply to
Nathan Gemelke

I think quantum computers are a big swindle. There. Convince me.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

But you are a quantum computer.

 Click to see the full signature

Jeroen - We like to think of them as an open challenge and emerging opport unity - but you are right - it will take a lot of healthy skepticism and ha rd work to get down that long road before they are truly useful. If it's t he road that matters to you, give us a call.

Reply to
Nathan Gemelke

So I've heard, but why don't our brains need cryo cooling?

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

There is allegedly a web portal somewhere in ibm.com that lets you upload code that runs on one of their machines, but maybe it's just a simulator.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Yes, real machines and simulators both. You should expect to see more in the next few years, based on multiple platforms. Some don't even need cryogenics. Early days and and many small steps ahead, but the next couple years should see some good progress.

Reply to
Nathan Gemelke

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in news:r8vso8$68f$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

They do that to keep noise and false qbit reads from happening. We fight through the error funk.

Becuase we are not conducting electrons through processing iterations and machinery. Our 'consciousness' is 'a different animal' so we do not have "block transfers" to manage and such. We have "block awareness" and "supressed block recall" if one wants to call them blocks. I like bubbles.

I like the movie "Brainstorm".

I wish I could perform the same "meditation" Einstein said he did to gain his most prized enlightenments.

Some think there is a universal consciousness and intelligence to tap into.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Quantum mechanics works at all temperatures.

The qbit cryo things are primitive, but the idea of finding solutions by quantum superposition is too good for critters not to use.

Science teaches us to doubt.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

But quantum states get perturbed very easily, and higher temperatures mean more frequent perturbations.

Those same critters that implemented error-detection and correction in the genetic code? It's clearly a good idea, but it doesn't seem to have happened either.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Only if you take one of Roger Penrose's sillier speculations seriously.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I can't factor large near-primes very well either.

Jeroen

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Have you noticed how no one ever truly explains how quantum computers are supposed to work? I mean, we get plenty of this "quantum bits have multiple states simultaneously" nonsense, but that's just embezzlement. Awe and wonder, but no substance.

In the end, to get a usable result out of a quantum system, you have to gather statistics, run many of them, or run one many times or for a long time. That doesn't look very efficient or scalable.

Oh, you can build gadgets based on quantum behaviour to solve specific problems, but those would essentially only solve *that* problem, nothing else. They would be akin to analog computers.

I think it's all just hype.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Actually, some people can.

There was a fad once for public demonstrations of people who could do amazing math in their heads.

Some people can hit a ball flying at 100 MPH with a stick.

450 milliseconds for a ballistic calculation, using wet chemical, millisecond logic elements.

I knew a guy who would look at the seams on an incoming tennis ball to learn its spin, so he could factor that into his return english. That process took a fraction of a second.

I played table tennis with the world's 16th best player. Of course I couldn't return a single shot. That's even faster than tennis.

I analyze thousands, or maybe trillions, of possible electronic circuits in parallel, sometimes in my sleep.

Science teaches us to doubt.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

There have been published algorithms for quantum computers for yonks.

I did a bit of work with the IBM quantum computing group about a dozen years ago--David di Vincenzo (the local quantum computing theory guru) and I came up with a scheme for using my antenna-coupled tunnel junctions and Roger Koch's superconducting interferometers for quantum communications at room temperature. (David came up with the math, I came up with the devices. Details are at )

We both left for greener pastures before I got those ones working. The normal ACTJ detectors worked great.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Grin, I remember playing with ping pong with two experts. (both physics professors, well now at least, one was a grad student at the time.) We were playing doubles and I'm trying to return serve from a master.. Nada... "Hold your paddle like this", my expert partner says... Face essentially parallel to the table... ~90 degrees from my typical orientation. Serve comes in and bang, I get (for me) a perfect return. Master across the table changed the serve next time and the ball again went off in some random direction. But I got one back! George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Lim was showing off, so applied full spin. The ball hit my paddle flat and headed off at 90 degrees, into a wall or the ceiling. Better than hitting me, which bruised.

But the wasn't a very good engineer.

Science teaches us to doubt.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

That looks like it would undermine quantum cryptography, would it not?

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

ging

all.

At some level all science these days is hype... which is too bad. The Google team made some milestone that Scott Aaronson blogged about. This is good for us in the lay public,

I know nothing of the details, but I still think it's pretty cool. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Well, you're pushing me on the math that I don't understand, which is of course perfectly fair. ;)

I don't think it would, FWIW. Quantum communications allows exchanging data that cannot be intercepted without disrupting the communication channel, which ISTM is a helpful adjunct to crypto rather than an antagonist.

I resisted working on quantum computers for several years because undermining strong crypto would be A Bad Thing, but it turns out that there are a lot of quantum-resistant crypto algorithms available.

Whether the 'perfect forward secrecy' property of previously-existing algos will survive quantum attack, I don't know.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs