OT: Sit, Kneel, or Stand?

Absolutely. She (and her political team) wanted to show that she was tough enought to be President.

Clintons? Good intentions?

Wait and see what Russia and China do.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Please leave the OT: prepended to the Subject: header. Do not remove the OT from the front of the Subject: when you reply.

Thank you,

--
Don
Reply to

Sounds very speculative to me, but I'm open-minded and listening.

I could replace "Clintons" with "Trump" and it would sound pretty good to me. Again, very speculative.

Which has little relevance in the current context. Supposedly the US president should be above spewing the same stuff as Kim, but it seems that's no longer the case with #45.

Reply to
lonmkusch
[snip]
[snip]

Bwahahahahaha! ROTFLMAO... Oh, Damn, I think I wet my pants >:-} ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Exactly! That was how the electoral college was usurped when it was changed from being a level of isolation where we selected "smart people" from our local to select a President for us to "winner take all" which makes the individual state more important rather than the people in it. So now the Presidential election is truly decided by a very small proportion of the nation.

Change "look" and "for" to "ask" and it is verbatim.

"My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

People are always the problem and will always be the problem. They are also the solution. That is the part the disagreement comes over. Some people think the other people are all problem and not part of the solution.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

Smart people do what works.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I didn't know Trump excites you that much.

Ok, prove me wrong. I can direct you to many posts on SED by people who obviously lean very right, including you, who, upon getting into a debate, simply make proclamations and refuse to provide verifiable proof from ANY mainstream news source.

Reply to
lonmkusch

And how's that working out? The only direction we're moving towards is a war with N Korea, which, despite Kim being extremely dangerous, is perhaps not in anyone's best interest.

So much for speaking softly and carrying a big stick. He might have a proverbial "big stick" (the military), but there's no speaking softly.

Some do what they think works, or what their impulses tell them to do even if it's not a good idea.

Reply to
lonmkusch

It ain't over yet.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Democrats.

Reply to
krw

Duh. That goes without saying.

Reply to
lonmkusch

to do is turn to data and logic, even if it points in the direction that's not personally preferred.

Additionally, not that you probably care because it's not what you like to hear....but can you explain why such a large percentage of academia is left

-leaning?

Let's look at this from another perspective: the people Trump likes to prot ect, the white supremacists and other extreme right hate groups wouldn't do so well in an academic setting would they? You have to be open-minded and have a world view to do well in academia. Throwing a flag on the bed of you r pickup truck and arguing how patriotic one is sure isn't someone with a w ide world view and logical thinking.

But then again somehow you made it through college, but as a student, not a professor.

Reply to
lonmkusch

They've seized control and they're so violent/vindictive that conservatives dare not "out" themselves.

But there's a cure coming... cut ALL federal funding of ALL colleges, public and private... watch 'em shrivel.

I think there's going to be more and more of this...

and this...

Money talks, pansies bloviate ;-)

It would be appreciated if you'd cut the bull-shit.

Bwahahahahaha! There you go again.

Is there a flag on my pick-em-up truck? Maybe I should add one, maybe add a gun rack too >:-}

You've never heard me boast of patriotism, but I'll happily blow your ass away as soon as the civil war breaks out >:-}

Yep. I made it all the way thru MIT on a full scholarship, awarded by MIT itself.

I'd guess you've never seen an engineering course in your whole lifetime.

...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Isn't that supposed to start on November 4th? Gotta get to Wal-Mart to stock up on ammo.

Reply to
tom

e:

ence alone could start a war.

Hillary didn't have much to do with that mess, most of which was Gaddafi's own doing. The NATO intervention was driven by Sarkozy, not Clinton, and wa s mainly aimed at limiting Gaddafi's capacity to massacre the numerous rebe llious bits of Libya's population.

The US has a long history of supporting unsavoury dictators long past their sell-by dates, and the consequences are never pretty. The replacement for the Shah in Iran wasn't one the US would have liked, and Batista's replacem ent in in Cuba wasn't accepted by the US with open arms either.

Calling Hillary Clinton a war-monger because she wasn't upset that Gaddafi had died isn't remotely sensible.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

:

ke to do is turn to data and logic, even if it points in the direction that 's not personally preferred.

to hear....but can you explain why such a large percentage of academia is l eft-leaning?

I've been hanging around on the edges of academia for most of my life, and the image of a violent and vindictive academic does strike me as implausibl e. There are conservative academics, and most of them flaunt their unconven tional views - it does seem to be more an attention-getting device than a m atter of sincere belief.

And watch the economy go down the tubes in consequence. The US doesn't subs idise education anything like as much as it should, and most of the subsidi es that are dished out go to the well-off anyway, which means that the US h as a low rate of intergenerational social mobility for n advanced industria l country, and a whole lot of students who should have gone to university a nd gone on to improve society are stuck flipping burgers, while the dim chi ldren of the well-off are taking up space at universities while learning ra ther less rapidly than at least some of the chidren of less well-off would have done.

Jim is the kind of bloviating pansy who fails to notice that the universiti es involved were behaving badly enough to inspire student protests, and has n't realised that the students might be staying away because they didn't li ke what the protests revealed about the universities, rather than disliking the protests themselves.

rotect, the white supremacists and other extreme right hate groups wouldn't do so well in an academic setting would they?

A trifle ironic coming from Jim, who rarely posts anything else.

ew and logical thinking.

Jim's favourite delusion. He hasn't noticed that he has threatened to blown so many of his neighbours away "when the civil war breaks out" that they'd stage a pre-emptive strike on him if one did.

t a professor.

In other words, Jim did well in secondary school, which is to say he did wh at his teachers wanted him to do.

Neither did Jim. He kept his head down, studied what was put in front of hi m, and doesn't seem to have learned anything else. He dug his way through h is engineering course, but never lifted his head up far enough to see what was going on around him - the mole's approach.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

St Petersburg is on the West coast of Florida. Probably the most beautiful city I have seen from the air.

New Orleans is only a fuel stop. One time after a visit, I got a call. They were surprised I was still alive. Apparently a new employee had filled an number of piston airplanes with jet fuel. This will destroy a turbocharged engine on takeoff, and the exit from the airfield is swamp filled with alligators.

I told them no, I didn't crash and my aircraft ran fine. They said thank you and hung up.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

:

ke to do is turn to data and logic, even if it points in the direction that 's not personally preferred.

to hear....but can you explain why such a large percentage of academia is l eft-leaning?

Those university professors are pretty violent aren't they? Sounds like mor e of the unsubstantiated conspiracy theories I discussed earlier. Evidently you aren't arguing with the proposition that academia is overwhelmingly li beral so I won't go down that path.

Rather, self-selection makes much, much more sense than the liberals have " seized control". Sounds like typical conspiratorial-speak than something lo gical.

And watch the US move in the same direction as India's caste system. Smart, motivated, poor kids will stay that way. Yah there's scholarships etc. but I doubt this will make up for it. Keeping the poor that way doesn't benefi t many except those at the very top.

Duh. Those with money have the power. But explain what this has to do with the articles which appear to be mostly based on racism. I don't think you'l l find many who believe the rapidly rising cost of college education is acc eptable. But cutting federal funding will simply further the gap between ri ch and poor, and that hurts everyone in one way or another.

rotect, the white supremacists and other extreme right hate groups wouldn't do so well in an academic setting would they?

Trump's connection with racist organizations is well known. Maybe you shoul d cut the BS.

"It?s almost impossible to get Donald Trump to criticize one of his supporters. Last March, when former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke support ed his campaign, Trump initially declined to disavow him and at one point b lamed ?a bad earpiece? for his failure to do so. A couple w eeks later, when a Trump supporter punched an African-American man at a sta dium rally, Trump said the man ?obviously loves the country? ? and suggested he might pay his legal bills."

l-out-alt-right-violence

Ok, ok. You have to be close-minded and have a narrow view to do well in ac ademia. You happy now?

If the shoe fits...

ew and logical thinking.

Probably not, but I'm speaking broadly in terms of the far right who seems to believe they have a monopoly on patriotism...like when they chant "USA!" at rallies and protests with "leftists" on the other side.

That's ok, I'm straight. But anyway, being capable of killing someone with a gun isn't exactly a crowning achievement.

t a professor.

What is that supposed to be, some insult? I have a BSEE from a land grant s chool and a MScEng from a Big 10 school, so you're 100% incorrect. However if it makes you smug and happy, go on believing what you said.

Reply to
lonmkusch

It doesn't have any relevance at all to the fact that the Daily Express is tabloid newspaper which doesn't have any statistical models of their own and isn't even in the US. So there was no reason at all not to guess at the outcome their readership likes, not like they had some fantastic methodology that would be invalidated should they be incorrect.

That is to say, they were finally _guessing_. Is it exciting news that someone can bet on long odds and be right sometimes? If I bet $1000 on a roll of the dice where the odds of winning are 1 in 6 and I win does that make me a psychic who you should trust to manage your stock portfolio?

Reply to
bitrex

I do remember a couple of beautiful things about St Pete.

Lakefront airport? Things are a tad casual there.

One reason that I left NOLA is the attitude: friends, family, food, Mardi Gras, let the good times roll, and don't take anything too seriously. Like, say, machining tolerances. Or electronic design.

lunatic fringe electronics