Need small number of parts placed ?

Have some populated boards, 1.4"x0.5" that need 0603 jumpers and #30 wires to be added according to drawing.

Quantity 1-10, work to be done on very random as-requested basis

This is manual assembly, tin/silver ONLY solder to be used, NO SAC!!

Parts and materials can be provided with the boards.

Average turn-around time should be 14 business days. Please quote on a per-board basis. Work to be done in the US.

So far,about 15 "low quantity" shops either refused to make a quote, or responded with "no quote". Seems that onesie-twosie is too small of a quantity..

Suggestions?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Try Niche Electronics in Shippensburg, PA. 1 to 10 boards is truly a small quantity for a little rework. Heck one board wouldn't be worth billing at a typical rate. I have gotten rework done on the boards they built for me for decent prices, but the quantity was higher.

I'm sure the turn around time would be ok. I guess you may have to pay the price for qty 1. I got started with them on a rush job assembling 3 units and they weren't bad on price. Is there any expectation of more profitable work in the future?

--

Rick
Reply to

I don't know how you'd go about finding them, but most areas that have electronics manufacturing also have freelance assemblers.

If you know any local freelance circuit designers or small manufacturers you might ask around. The two people here that I could put a name to are from my last corporate job and from my local EE consultant's group, respectively. Both have good reputations.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

That's true. But as you say, finding them is mostly word of mouth. Do you network with the other shops in your area? I never had great success networking locally. The few I've met were rather close to the vest with any info like that. I was in the local chapter (DC) of the IEEE consultants network and people were a lot more willing to share experiences, but not many build stuff as opposed to working on large contracts as a sub.

--

Rick
Reply to

How many jumpers and wires are we talking? Kinda hard to quote on a per-board basis if I don't know if you want one jumper and wire per board, or 27 jumpers and 30 wires - nor if the locations to add them are reasonably accessible or buried in inconvenient locations between other tall parts.

This sort of thing is right up my alley (I have a full-time computer-geeking job at a school, but I like to work, moonlighting, on tangible items from time to time, in small enough volume that it does not overwhelm normal life, and let's just say that I could use the money, since any rumors about education being a high-paying field don't apply in my experience.)

If you supply the solder, jumpers, wires, etc. you want used, I'll use them. If it's to be a regular (if sporadic) gig, I'll dedicate a shoebox to it.

Ecnerwal

How many jumpers and wires ?

Don't you think that is kinda important ? Are you talking like 10, or 100 ? That makes a big difference.

Reply to
jurb6006

The need is so random that "scattered" might be a better fit. Thanks; will try them.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Zero to maybe 3 jumpers, possible short wire; all parts on PCB are SOT-363, both sides. Need is extremely random, when need pops up, quantities run from one to maybe ten. E-mail me for particulars, sample PDFs, at snipped-for-privacy@oil4lessllc.com . Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Jumpers zero to maybe 3, maybe add one short wire at SO-363 leads; pattern may be different if two or more boards, 1 to maybe 10 boards. The word "random" would seem to be a misfit as to "when".

Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

elance maybe? or one of those online freelance sites?

Reply to
mkr5000

It's in his sig.

--

Rick
Reply to

Would you please e-mail me concerning the proposed work? I do not know your vices so cannot figure out your e-mail. Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer