OT: SeaMonkey..

OK; i have SeaMonkey 1.1.16 loaded and working inWin98Se with no patches. Firstly, it seems to have copied all of my NetScrape bookmarks, NGs, and (amazingly) remembered login name/password info. Seems to be slightly slower. *WORKS* on Mapquest (!!). But. I double-click on the icon (after boot) and get what looks like a SeaMonkey homepage and the dialer does *nothing*. ? How do i disable that junk and have it dial and go to my preset homepage? ? What is this apparently ranDumb orange color in the URL bar? Fixes? Lastly, in the NG pane, i have the list of postings on top right, with selected posting on bottom right with adjustable "bar" divider. In NetScrape, that "bar" is "infinitely" adjustable BUT in SeaMonkey it goes by large steps. How can that be fixed?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Reply to
JeffM

Why are you using it?

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

I used to use Firefox but now I also use SeaMonkey in Win XP(I still use XP because my customers still use XP and I think it is the most stable version of windows that exist).

Go to Edit->Preferences->Navigator->Home Page

You can customize almost anything in SeaMonkey. Also if you had questions go to irc://moznet in ChatZilla of seamonkey, and go to appropriate channel, like #SeaMonkey( /join #SeaMonkey). there are always people there to help.

regards

Reply to
Ebrahim

Seamonkey has no dialler. The network dialler used is either the one from IE or the original one from the OS. Seamonkey also caches the home page. After you have run it once with a DUN connection active, goto your home page and drag the URL to the home icon on the toolbar and it will 'stick' better than it ever did under IE.

In my diallup days I always set 'Never dial a connection' on the Connections tab of the Internet Properties control panel and used a shortcut to the connection to dial it and hang it up as dialling it at the wrong time would cost me money. If you aren't charged per call try setting it to 'Always dial my default connection'. DONT expect it to auto-hangup reliably, that is heavily tied into IE.

Coloured URL bar refers to site security. Normal is white. SSL is yellow. Can you give an example of a site that gives an orange bar?

I suspect that either the large number of changes that have been made to your Win98SE install or the settings imported from Netscape are confusing something. I've never seen that behaviour here and all separator bars are freely adjustable. Try:

  1. use the View->Layout menu to change to 'Wide View', disable the preview pane. Exit Seamonkey completely and open it again. Turn the preview pane back on and see if all is well.
  2. Back up your Netscape profile and program directory and uninstall Netscape and make sure all its folders got deleted. Then create a new profile using the Seamonkey Profile Manager and see if its still screwed up. Once you have a good profile, getting contacts, old messages etc. across is doable.
  3. Try it on another 98SE install that hasn't had unofficial patches applied . . .

N.B. there are two Seamonkey Mail & News bugs I've had trouble with that you may encounter under 98SE. Both have no fix but usable workarounds.

  1. While scrolling the message list pane, it can get stuck continuously scrolling. Changing to another group does NOT cure it. Selecting a server, not a group from the left hand pane DOES reset the scrolling.
  2. The UI is frequently non-responsive while downloading *large* numbers of headers. Symptoms: a partially drawn page, blocks of grey and failure to switch to any other open Seamonkey window. WAIT it out, it will come back a few minutes later. DONT click around too much, all those mouse actions get queued . . . (You can work in other applications while you wait). This *may* be due to either deep threading or complicated message filters as it seems to impact some groups more than others here.
--
Ian Malcolm.   London, ENGLAND.  (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL:

Link does not work, so i subscribed to netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey which was the only NG about SeaMonkey. Hopefully that will do. Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I migrated from NetScrape 7.2; one nice benefit is that i can now use Mapquest...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Huh? IRC?? Whuzzat? "Chatzilla" is a word i remember seeing, but.... ..is that some version of "streaming data" like some sites have for "on line Q&A" dialog?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Go to Windows->IRC Chat (Chat in sea monkey is known as ChatZilla Or in status bar click on cZ sign

It is a IRC(Internet Relay Chat), you ask questions and people immediately answer, but you have to go to the appropriate channel.

Reply to
Ebrahim

  • Do not use IE it i can possibly avoid it; SeaMonkey should help greatly in that regard. Clicking on IE or on NetScrape always brought up the dialer with the corresponding browser. Now that i made the complaint, SeaMonkey is "now" working OK that way...
  • Did not pay that much attention to correlation, but now that you mention it, the Fidelity site goes orange. Will get richer so that i can PAY attention.
  • Will try these ideas in order given; thanks.

  • Seen that on rare occasion in NetScrape; all i had to do was select another NG and then go back and all was OK.
  • Seen the non-ersponsive bit in NetScrape only in the case you mention. Seen most of the other symptoms you mention, but this has been very rare (maybe twice?) for me.

Reply to
Robert Baer

  • Had that set and it did not get changed; it definitely is NOT SeaMonkey!

?? IRC?? Whazzat? Is Chatzilla a variant on "streaming" text like some sites having an on-line Q&A "real time" section?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yes it is a real time internet text messaging. Some sites like Yahoo have their own patented protocol but IRC is a general protocol supported by SeaMonkey

Ebrahim

So-called "chat" "applications" or "windows" or whatever you want to call them that are set-up by various orgs (Earthlink, GoDaddy, and others that i forget) simply do not work for me and i fully expect to never work. So, having been burned a number of times, please forgive me for bypassing that "option" for now...

Reply to
Robert Baer

I Tried: > 1. use the View->Layout menu to change to 'Wide View', disable the > preview pane. Exit Seamonkey completely and open it again. Turn the > preview pane back on and see if all is well. >

Better; have "infinite" adjustability in the middle but the "bar" goes up only so far (about 4.5 postings), and "jumps" near the bottom (maybe 6 lines-worth). Too late to mess with #2..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Well, That's your choice of course :) But there are plenty of high quality technical channels there and also many pleasant people. Yes there are also foul and worthless people there as they are also here but you can easily filter them out.

Cheers :)

Reply to
Ebrahim

Design 'feature'. Its assumed you need to see at least a few lines of the message pane and the preview pane, though the latter can be hidden by either double clicking the bar or dragging it right down. I do that when I DONT want a preview, e.g. selecting multiple spam messages for deletion if some spammer has been too prolific.

DONT goto step 2, it wont get better.

--
Ian Malcolm.   London, ENGLAND.  (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL:
Reply to
IanM

So far,i tried: #1 sort-of worked, so: > 2. Back up your Netscape profile and program directory and uninstall > Netscape and make sure all its folders got deleted. Then create a new > profile using the Seamonkey Profile Manager and see if its still screwed > up. Once you have a good profile, getting contacts, old messages etc. > across is doable. >

ZERO difference! That moveable "bar" between the posted item list on top and the space below for seeing selected post -->still

Reply to
Robert Baer

What i meant "does not work for me" means exactly that: ain't no communications, period. Cannot say if anything went out, but never got a response and the "connection" in a number of cases timed out.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Tried #2 already; you are correct in that there was NO improvement. I guess that is something i will have to adjust to. In NetScrape, i moved the "bar" up so only 2 postings were visible, the top of the bar just on the bottom edge of the second (lowest) listing. Click on lowest listing, get to read it and the post listings would automatically scroll up one, showing the selected one on top and the next one right below it. Rather nice and handy...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Robert Baer wrote:

Well, it does exist (it's not a "Usenet" group).

BEFORE posting to a group, you should at least scan the Subject lines of the existing threads.

NOPE. Not the same Seamonkey (note no camel-case).

Having scanned the existing topics, you would have discovered:

*-*-*+Netscape+NOT-ABOUT-*-*-*+*-*-*-*-for-the-original-*-*+*-new-*-project+qq-qq+uu+in-2005+support.page+1999+*-*-*-*-OBSOLETEnews://news.mozilla.org:fdydnePkpMVhdADUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@mozilla.org

The group for the post-2005 SM Project is archived at

Basics here:

?/archives/29-Initial-seamonkey-configuration.html+SeaMonkey.configuration+Edit.*.*.Preferences+about.config More here:

JeffM