OT: sea level rise in Florida

}snip{

Sorry, what 'evidence'? A wacky model that after some 'adjustments' seems by coincidence to coincide with historical data and then is supposed to 'confirm' the many theoretical assumptions on which it is based, but still needs 'adjustments' to make it happen.

But no worries. 'Everybody' 'seems' to get 'more or less' results with their own, 'seemingly' different models but still adjustments to 'make' them fit the data. Oh wonder, now AGW is 'confirmed'!

Ehh..., not.

(And I'm not even a right-winger, or so I say...)

}snipped a lot of more blackmouthing{

joe

Reply to
Joe Hey

He wasn't as cute as China, but he was a lot more interesting.

lunatic fringe electronics

Not really. We can't take credit for people we accidentally ran into. But it is impressive how a poor kid growing up in a scientific backwater (ie, me) can connect to world-class scientists and Playmates.

Steve Jobs pestered Bill Hewlett and made some valuable connections.

lunatic fringe electronics

I can top that--I *voted* for Jimmy ... instead of Reagan!

(We really should raise the voting age.)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Good article.

I grew up in South Florida. The canal system that prevented salt water intrusion can not function for much longer, it's already failing. Even in the 60's you would get flooding after heavy rains, just not nearly as bad as now.

Marco Rubio and Rick Scott did not cause the problem, but as the article states, the climate change deniers make it more difficult to take any steps to at least delay the inevitable.

If I owned a bank I would not be selling 30 year mortgages anymore in south Florida. The area is already on the last mortgage cycle. Raising everything up is impractical.

Reply to
sms

On Sat, 09 Jan 2016 09:24:47 -0800, John Larkin Gave us:

You didn't get it. The guy's name is Bragg.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Drat, you've rumbled me ;)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I was in Moscow when the election results were announced. All the Americans cheered. The US Embassy had a huge framed portrait of RR up on the side of the building within an hour.

I didn't vote for either of them. I never vote.

lunatic fringe electronics

I bet Florida has always got wet from heavy rains.

lunatic fringe electronics

The world is a surprisingly small place, *iff* you have an idea of where you are going and who you think is worth knowing - and who can safely be "ignored".

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Mount Dora should be safe. I've climbed it and it's high enough to be above the water.

Reply to
sms

Poking around with Google Earth, it looks like most of Florida would be fine with a meter or two of sea level rise. But some people relish fear and doom, and if it amuses them, good.

lunatic fringe electronics

Probably, but back then the water was probably going downwards from the sky - not upwards from the porous limestone.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Back then, there weren't luxury developments of giant ranch-style houses along the edges of golf courses.

90% of climate disasters result from reporting things that most people paid no attention to in past years. Rain causing wet used to be considered normal.

lunatic fringe electronics

Yes, but the up/down direction is all important, and there are degrees of wetness.

One measure is to start from a wet point and then measure (a) how far it is until it is not wet and (b) how far until it is wet again, relative to (a)

In some places at some times (a) has increased from mm to miles, and it feels like (b) ~= (a).

Large parts of the UK have just had their wettest December since records began :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

On Sat, 09 Jan 2016 10:05:03 -0800, John Larkin Gave us:

Or maybe they always got heavy from wet rains... and are really sinking... as opposed to the waters around them rising. :-)

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You need to send them your scientific findings.

Of course the fact is that south Florida, the major population center, would not be fine. Orlando would be okay.

Reply to
sms

What happens to the orange groves, when the salt level under their roots becomes the salt level among their roots? Methinks the 'fine' situation isn't clear to you.

Upper class persons consider spans of generations, on the scale of counties/nations/planets.

Lower-class persons live in a neighborhood, every week is fresh, and a paycheck Friday means you're rich on Saturday.

For any long-term planning, impending doom ought to catch anyone's attention (but, not everyone is thinking long-term).

Reply to
whit3rd

The world won't end. You can always buy California oranges, or oranges grown a bit inland in Florida. Or drink your rum with Coke.

Ooh, are you an Upper Class Person?

I get paid every two weeks, so maybe I'm Middle Class.

There's enough impending doom to satisfy most anyone's needs.

lunatic fringe electronics

Feels like? Are are you just hopeful that our species is doomed to extinction?

Since when?

lunatic fringe electronics