OT: sea level rise in Florida

It doesn't surprise me at all that Trump admires Gaddafi and Saddam - Trump is just another dictator in waiting and the US populus may well be dumb enough to put him in power. Getting him out will be tricky.

For very small values of "rational". What is a valid point is that it is much easier to create a failed state than to rebuild from the ashes.

We went into Iraq because Dubya wanted to "kick some Arab ass" and he couldn't attack Saudi Arabia despite the fact that almost all the 9/11 terrorists and most of the money behind it came from there.

We had absolutely no plan about what to do after we had "won" the war.

It is interesting to note that British intelligence reports during the WWI era accurately predicted the outcome of invading Afghanistan over a century earlier. Those that do not know history are doomed to repeat it.

The Russians tried and failed a few decades ago and they are not quite so squeamish about human rights. Mountainous places are hard to invade. More so when they have porous borders and hostile (to us) neighbbours.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

He went into Iraq because Saddam was angry after being lured two times by the CIA into a war against Iran which he lost both, and after which he got mad at the US and wanted to sell his oil in Euros only, which would have meant a serious blow to the petrodollar, which had to be avoided at all cost, i.e. a war against Iraq with Saddam being killed. As a warning. Gaddhafi: same thing, but then there was also gold involved and a new African currency based on gold.

No, because that was all there was: prevent Iraq's oil from being sold in another currency than the dollar.

joe

Reply to
Joe Hey

OK, we both agree with Trump.

lunatic fringe electronics

Less work for her writers though. Tina Fey's comment (from when Palin was running for vice-president with McCain) was that she didn't have to write any new dialogue to make Sarah Palin sound ridiculous - direct quotes were funny enough.

Tina Fey's comic timing is superb, so she probably delivered Palin's ridiculous lines in a way that made them sound even funnier.

It's a frequent complaint form those that make their living from satirising Australia's politicians that the politicians frequently make more ridiculous claims than any satirist would be allowed to put in their mouths.

Trump's recent claim that he could get away with shooting some random citizen on the street falls into that category.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Intellectual light-weights of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your wits.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That movie is a favorite of my son-in-law the judge, nee prosecutor ;-) ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

| 1962 |

I'm looking for work... see my website.

Eat them before they eat you.

lunatic fringe electronics

It's because he has so much in common with all of the brain dead Liberals in Miami. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Better,

Reply to
whit3rd

Florida got my attention (back in January) because there was an amusing article in the New Yorker about it. I couldn't care less if it sank below the waves, but what was written about the process was funny enough to share.

Probably not. The New Yorker is based in New York - not Miami - even it is read around the world. I've got a subscription, which gets delivered to Sydney a couple of days after publication.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to