OT: sea level rise in Florida

ote:

:

piece

lbert.

pidly, but perfectly useless against sea level rise, which doesn't go away until the next ice age kicks in,

The Netherlands is essentially the delta of the Rhine, and there there's a thick layer of alluvial deposit under the entire country, which does seem t o include several layers of impermeable clay.

Even the most intellectually undemanding accounts of Dutch land-management talk about pumping water out of the drained ares - it used to be done by wi ndmills but they've long since been replaced by more conventional and somew hat larger pumping stations.

Florida does have some of them, but the thrust of the New Yorker article wa s that there aren't nearly enough to let any significant area stay dry if b elow sea level, and that - given the porosity of the Florida geology - inst alling enough pumps would be somewhere between financially difficult and im possibly expensive.

Large chunks of the eastern side of the Netherlands has been lower than sea level for some hundreds of years, so they can cope with what whatever leak age there is (as well as rain and river-water).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

You know that "six degrees of separation" thing?

I met Randy Newman's brother at a hamfest. High(?) school teacher at a local school. Nice guy. That means you're just three degrees separated from Randy Newman.

It's a fun world, isn't it?

Cheers, James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

As long as the Big Muddy doesn't wash away your house.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Hey, I knew China Lee, the first non-white Playmate of the Month.

Top that!

(And, I'm ashamed to admit, Amory Lovins.)

lunatic fringe electronics

Well, I shook hands with Sir Elton and I've shaken hands with you, so that puts you three degrees from Obama, GWB, and everyone Elton's met. But I can't top China Lee.

Geeks and politics don't often mix. Too many turn into megalomanical masters of the universe / People Who Know Better. Too many mid-level intelligences that want to organize what are already--and by higher principles--self-organizing systems.

But Lovins sure talks a good line, doesn't he? A number of his ideas over at RMI.org seemed pretty reasonable(*), but the reasonable ones apparently aren't sexy enough to keep the green-lights on.

(*) like a *huge* energy cost reduction claimed, by just avoiding right-angle pipe bends.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Yes, but I don't think there's much danger--I'm states away and up a hill. :-)

(Dad was always big on drainage, and /not/ buying or building on a flood plain.)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

}snip{

Maybe you should consider changing that to 'the western side'...

joe

Reply to
Joe Hey

On Sat, 9 Jan 2016 05:42:28 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Gave us:

snip

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sat, 9 Jan 2016 13:47:06 +0000, Joe Hey Gave us:

It was a spelling error. ;-)

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

And the entire "Climate Change" crowd has been instructed not to use the term "Global Warming"

Reply to
djlocher56

te:

James Arthur's "higher principles" are all political ones. His problem is t hat he can't accept that when the community as a whole has an over-riding n ecessity to get something to happen, the government of the day gets stuck w ith making it happen.

It's kind of odd. Like most right-winger, he has no problem with putting th e government in charge when there's a war to be won, but when the problem i sn't a traditional one, contemplated by the founding evaders, or someone eq ually safely dead, he smells collectivist motives and incipient redistribut ion.

So no matter how overwhelming the scientific evidence for anthropogenic glo bal warming, he's going to remain convinced that all the science has been f aked by a bunch of left-wingers who want an excuse for making his electric power more expensive, not to mention forcing him to drive an electric car p owered by this more expensive electricity.

It would be utterly comic, if he wasn't a fairly representative sample of t he right-wing of the Republican Party, which now seems to be driving itself into an unelectable state, by having every candidate trying to be more rig ht-wing than the next.

Donald Trump, who's even less restrained by practical politics than the res t, is the lead contender by virtue of his lunatic willingness to be even si llier than this colleagues, most of whom still occasionally seem to remembe r the unfortunate consequences of running off at the mouth in some past con test.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

That doesn't mean they shouldn't be tagged with the term anyway.

Reply to
krw

My brother shook hands with Jimmy Carter (while he was President), several times. China Lee beats that, too.

Reply to
krw

Arthur C Clarke, Worldcon '78

Helmut Kohl, while he was chancellor

relative -> wife -> mother -> Putin. Apparently the wife and mother are absolutely convinced that the moon landings were fakes, a capitalist conspiracy. If you mention things like ALSEP retroreflectors and later hi-res images, they just sing la-la-la-la-la very loudly.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Jimmy vs China? No healthy male would need over 3 milliseconds to decide on that!

She was married to Mort Sahl for a while, and I had lunch with him, too.

lunatic fringe electronics

Impressive, but China still wins!

(Pronounced chee-na, not chi-na)

I'm connected to several Nobel laureats:

Philip Morrison > Robert Oppenheimer > Albert Einstein (NP) > many others (NP)

Amory Lovins > Al Gore (NP) > Barack Obama (NP)

lunatic fringe electronics

Yeah, it was Dick that did China.

You're going backwards.

Reply to
krw

For a while I lived in Cambridge, so Nobel laureates were two-a-penny :)

I once worked with Nigel Bragg ( lovely chap), who is the eldest grandson of Lawrence Bragg and great grandson of William Bragg So that is me -> N Bragg ---> L Bragg '-> W Bragg

Not that any of this matters one whit, of course.

Oh yes, almost forgot. I knew Tim Berners-Lee when I was a kid. Haven't seen him since then, but I last met his parents in 2000 - a lovely couple.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

On Sat, 09 Jan 2016 11:45:12 -0500, krw Gave us:

At least he didn't go back to Hanoi Jane!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sat, 9 Jan 2016 16:45:28 +0000, Tom Gardner Gave us:

Is this behavior what they refer to as "bragging"? :-)

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno