OT: Science Frauds and Hoaxes of the Modern World

YET ANOTHER HOAX - influenza vaccinations

Due to time limitations, I am going to just state a few observations about flu vaccines, and deal with the howls of protest later on. :)

  1. The theory of flu vaccines is you track each year's viruses and prepare a careful vaccine contra. However, this process is done behind closed doors by a government complex which has little transparency. There have been a number of shut-downs and scandals about poor preparation facilities. Exactly what I am saying is: You really don't know exactly what protein is in the vaccine. And please don't give me the line about hard-working and above-average government employees.

  1. vitamin D3 out-performs the flu vaccine, according to several studies. D3 is broad-band, FV is narrow-band. Isn't it strange that the medical establishment is falling all over themselves to remind us of the vaccines, but doesn't check vitamin D status????

  2. I am a biochemist, and was running the protein sequence of a cold virus at the Georgetown Hospital in D.C. I saw, in this rhinovirus, an extended sequence for a human nose protein! At first, I did a double-take, but then realized that the virus includes it to escape immune surveillance. And this may be a general influenza strategy as well. So - follow me on this - as the vaccine is created, they include various epitopes from the virus, some of which may be "self." Then the viral epitopes are mixed with an adjuvant to promote an immune reaction. So it is possible that you are being immunized against your self! I am not saying I have any proof of this, just that it is a possible drawback not shared by D3.

Conclusion Here is a common sense test for you. D3 proven more effective than vaccination against flu. The establishment does not promote D3. Big Pharma and est. makes $$$ from vaccines. QED = HOAX.

Reply to
haiticare2011

Don't forget he Buddhists! We are an extended empty mind plus nothing at the core! :) I am trying to focus on the big hoaxes. To focus on homeopathy is like the a dictator parading out the usual suspects, excluding himself. Put it this way, the perpetrators of the hoaxes like to accuse the homeopathy crowd so as to distract attention from themselves. I'm interested in the big fish. :)

Reply to
haiticare2011

te:

of flim-flam is beloved of the government because they can "protect us" an d make us passive in the face of a major threat. Centralized government is desperate to find a way to be useful, because it makes them look good, and maybe in some there is a twinge of guilt about their theft of money from the economy.

o get you out of the gene pool early enough to do any good.

-shop-233221/

smoker until his heart started acting up when he was in his early sixties.

got around to telling him that kidney cancer is twice as common amongst he avy smokers (more than 20 cigarettes a day) than it is in the general popul ation. The risk is supposed to go back to normal if you've not smoked for t en years, and he'd not smoked for nearly twenty years when the kidney cance r showed up, so perhaps my restraint was justified.

normal stem cell into a cancer stem cell, and one would imagine that any p eriod of inhaling mutagens would give them a head start.

Kidney would suggest something related to exposure to some paper processing chemicals as being more likely than the smoking. Some occupations have fai rly to very high cancer risks associated with them, check out exterminators and also the lawn treatment people, cancer risk is very high.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Freud & modern psychiatry are 2 more

NT

Reply to
meow2222

e a dictator parading out the usual suspects, excluding himself. Put it t his way, the perpetrators of the hoaxes like to accuse the homeopathy crowd so as to distract attention from themselves. I'm interested in the big fis h. :)

Sure you are. But when you claim the Human Genome Project to be a hoax, you demonstrate that you are a lunatic conspiracy theory nut-case.

The Human Genome Project has collected real data, and the results as the te chnique has been made cheaper, now allowing us to look at the differences b etween individual genomes, and - in cancer victims - the differences betwee n the genomes of individual cells - has been very informative, and looks li ke being even more informative as we develop a better understanding of the flood of data it delivers.

You got to be pig-ignorant not to be aware of this. It's been publicised fo r every level of understanding in the differing branches of the media over the last decade or so.

If you were unaware that the Human Genome Project is widely seen as a spect acular success, you have to have had your head firmly buried in the sand.

If you are prepared to discount all these reports you aren't a sceptic but rather the sort of demented conspiracy theory fan who rates a paranoid clai m that something has been faked above truckloads of evidence demonstrating that it's real.

Presumably you believe that the moon landings were all faked and that Obama wasn't born on Hawaii ....

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Not exactly. The determining "fact" for you is that they involve a massive conspiracy theory, which you can congratulate yourself on being "clever" en ough to know about.

The reality is that you have persuaded yourself that modern society is tota lly dominated by hoaxes, to the point that - if you were right - it couldn' t possibly work.

idden hoaxes. Homeopathy is a "Brave New World" hoax. It is a hoax that th e pols point to and say: "See, there is a hoax." An official hoax.

then a minor hoax like homeopathy provides a welcome distraction, doesn't i t?

Big "if". Nassim Nicholas Taleb in "Antifragile" makes the point that moder n technology depends more on individual tinkerers than institutional scienc e, but institutional science provides the structure that allows the knowled ge gained by individual tinkerers to be pulled together and made available to other tinkerers.

If you don't understand that, you don't understand enough to be a useful me mber of modern society.

Homeopathy is definitely a "red herring". Your ideas on "hoaxes" are more i n the nature of stinking fish - the putrid product of a diseased mind.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Another science hoax is the medical establishment's view of supplements, and the rda (rec. daily allowance).

Cut to the chase: 70% of the population is D3 deficient, you need 5000 iu a day.

70% deficient in magnesium, etc.

The rda is oriented to preventing disease, like rickets in childhood. It would be interesting to estimate the number of deaths caused by this hoax - probably 10m a year world-wide. Could be 50m. The health impact of the wide-spread D3 deficiency is enormous. As you age, your chance of getting alzheimers goes up 25X if you are D3 deficient! I can't tell you how many people have told me they get it from milk. The public ignorance is vast!

Another one is Pomegranate juice. (just another out of hundreds). This has the amazing ability to clear out your arteries of plaque. But the FDA has threatened to prosecute the POM company, forcing them to withdraw scienifically sound ads. Pom competes with statins, a billion $ market.

In other words, the medical-pharmaceutical industry is desperate to keep you in the dark. I saw a paper in JAMA a few months ago, claiming that anti-oxidants have no health benefit whatsoever. A disinformation campaign.

On another front, doctors are now innocently asking you which supplements you take. This the first attempt to control supplements and make them illegal without a doctor's prescription. Attempts to pass laws against supplements in Congress have resulted the largest write-in campaign in the history of Congress, forcing the proponents to retreat.

This is a classic HOAX, which fits the pattern of group-think, brain-washed advocates, profiteers, and public harm.

In case you are tired of hearing about hoaxes, I submit to you that your knowledge of supplements can and will save your health and probably your life!

Reply to
haiticare2011

and the

a day.

oax - probably 10m a year world-wide. Could be 50m.

Probably not. The recommended daily intakes are evidence-based, and at leas t some of them do get tested from time to time.

Vitamin D3 is cholecalciferol. Too much increases mortality, as does too li ttle.

The evidence about how much the normal population ought to be taking is mix ed. Any recommendation that you should take more than 4000 iu per day is de cidedly suspect. Haitic's 5,000 iu per day recommendation is thus on the da ngerous side, particularly when you consider that we tend photosynthesise e nough from the precursors present in normal diet.

e, your chance of getting alzheimers goes up 25X if you are D3 deficient!

I wonder how deficient you have to be to significantly increase your risk o f getting Alzeimer's? This sounds like a hoax to me. If you were getting Al zheimer's, you might be less careful about your diet, so vitamin D deficien cy might be a symptom rather than a cause

ublic ignorance is vast!

Your own ignorance is impressive. If you expose milk to sunlight the 7-dehy drocholesterol present in the milk gets converted to cholecalciferol. If yo u drink milk and expose your skin to sunlight, the same conversion takes pl ace, so your informants were almost certainly telling you the truth.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

, and the

iu a day.

hoax - probably 10m a year world-wide. Could be 50m.

ast some of them do get tested from time to time.

little.

ixed. Any recommendation that you should take more than 4000 iu per day is decidedly suspect. Haitic's 5,000 iu per day recommendation is thus on the dangerous side, particularly when you consider that we tend photosynthesise enough from the precursors present in normal diet.

age, your chance of getting alzheimers goes up 25X if you are D3 deficient!

of getting Alzeimer's? This sounds like a hoax to me. If you were getting Alzheimer's, you might be less careful about your diet, so vitamin D defici ency might be a symptom rather than a cause

public ignorance is vast!

hydrocholesterol present in the milk gets converted to cholecalciferol. If you drink milk and expose your skin to sunlight, the same conversion takes place, so your informants were almost certainly telling you the truth.

The vitamin D was originally added to milk to facilitate calcium absorption and had less to do with vitamin supplementation. It has been found that th e D3 is a much better facilitator and thus you will find many calcium suppl ements are combined with the D3. Then high levels of D3 depress blood level s of vitamin K, so vitamin K is also included in the better calcium supplem ents. The best website for scientifically sound consultation on any supplement is webmd.com . It is edited by a staff of MDs, they have line cards on everyt hing legally available, covering uses, side effects, interactions with pres cription drugs and dosing schedules for medically supervised trials and the rapies, all very practical information. Here is the line card for pomegrana te:

As you can see, there is no industry coverup there.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

, and the

iu a day.

hoax - probably 10m a year world-wide. Could be 50m.

ast some of them do get tested from time to time.

&&& Nonsense. The rda were formulated many years ago. Teir purpose was to prevent disease, not confer health. Szent-Gyorgi, the discoverer of vitamin C, wrote extensively abut this problem.

little.

&&& You should check your blood levels with an ordinary blood test.

ixed. Any recommendation that you should take more than 4000 iu per day is decidedly suspect. Haitic's 5,000 iu per day recommendation is thus on the dangerous side, particularly when you consider that we tend photosynthesise enough from the precursors present in normal diet.

&&& I am certainly not recommending anything - just saying that the dose sh ould be way beyond the amount in milk and the rda. There have been tens of thous ands of people who take 5000 a day, and then had their blood checked. Yes, ther e is some controversy about whether you should be at a level of 30 or 50 in the blood. There was a recent conference which was solely about dosing D3. Life guards and indigenous people in Africa who spend much time in the sun have levels around 50. But you should not say I was recommending anything. I am making an argument that the rda of 400 is way too low. I would say that your ideas are more dangerous to health, furthermore. For recommendations, see your doctor. &&&And to say that photosynthesis is adequate is, in my mind, racial prejud ice against the minority populations with dark skin, who have this health probl em the most. How can you say that dark-skinned people in the North can get vitamin D from photosybthesis when it is widely known they can't because of their s kin color? Have you lost your mind? Any health researcher in this field knows t hat this is a major problem for non-whites, and your ideas seem like a sick jok e at best.

age, your chance of getting alzheimers goes up 25X if you are D3 deficient!

of getting Alzeimer's? This sounds like a hoax to me. If you were getting Alzheimer's, you might be less careful about your diet, so vitamin D defici ency might be a symptom rather than a cause. &&& Deficient people are defined as below 30. Those who don't take suppleme nts can be as low as 10-20.

public ignorance is vast!

&&& Below - Aha The personal attack when you lose your grasp of the subject . Free speech and intellectual inquiry are an impossibility around you. I will respond to your points.

hydrocholesterol present in the milk gets converted to cholecalciferol.

&& Wrong. The amount too low to make any difference in blood levels. Nutrit ional rickets a problem in minority communities, and the prevention require s vitamin D supplementation.

If you drink milk and expose your skin to sunlight, the same conversion tak es place, so your informants were almost certainly telling you the truth.

&&& Nonsense again. Ordinary sunlight does not do the conversion. It requir es UVB at 311 nm., and that wavelength is not present in geographical location s above 30 latitude, and gets less during winter months. This lack of 311 nm. radiation is responsible for the widespread deficiency, as well as the obvi ous fact that people don't walk around unclothed most of the year there. This problem is most severe in dark-skinned minorities. So your ideas are a form of racial prejudice against them, as their risk highest.
&&& There you go again!
Reply to
haiticare2011

ts, and the

0 iu a day.

is hoax - probably 10m a year world-wide. Could be 50m.

least some of them do get tested from time to time.

o little.

mixed. Any recommendation that you should take more than 4000 iu per day i s decidedly suspect. Haitic's 5,000 iu per day recommendation is thus on th e dangerous side, particularly when you consider that we tend photosynthesi se enough from the precursors present in normal diet.

u age, your chance of getting alzheimers goes up 25X if you are D3 deficien t!

sk of getting Alzeimer's? This sounds like a hoax to me. If you were gettin g Alzheimer's, you might be less careful about your diet, so vitamin D defi ciency might be a symptom rather than a cause

he public ignorance is vast!

dehydrocholesterol present in the milk gets converted to cholecalciferol. I f you drink milk and expose your skin to sunlight, the same conversion take s place, so your informants were almost certainly telling you the truth.

on and had less to do with vitamin supplementation. It has been found that the D3 is a much better facilitator and thus you will find many calcium sup plements are combined with the D3. Then high levels of D3 depress blood lev els of vitamin K, so vitamin K is also included in the better calcium suppl ements.

is webmd.com . It is edited by a staff of MDs, they have line cards on ever ything legally available, covering uses, side effects, interactions with pr escription drugs and dosing schedules for medically supervised trials and t herapies, all very practical information. Here is the line card for pomegra nate:

The industry cover-up occurs by the FDA preventing the pomegranate sellers from saying how good it is. The FDA has no authority over doctors, just industry . I applaud doctors who will stick their necks out, and it is a moving line. Yes, unfortunately, there has been a huge amount of cover-up, as much s I'd like to agree with you. The FDA was sued in DC court in 1991 about the vita min cover-ups. Te suit involved folic acid to prevent birth defects and aspirin to act as a heart attack medicine.

The FDA lost the suit, so today we know about these factors. (forbidden to say by makers before.)

Great that webmd talking about pomegranate. Thanks. It has taken 25 years, but at least they can't ignore any further.

Reply to
haiticare2011

s from

ry.

.

'd

tamin

in to act as a heart attack medicine.

o say

, but

The FDA merely enforces the law and that is the supplement manufacturers ca nnot mmake claims not supported by scientific evidence aka a medically supe rvised trial study. No one is preventing the pomegranate industry from cond ucting these trials. You proably advocate that useless and dangerous chela tion therapy too, long since debunked as ineffective and even dangerous. Hi story is rife with incidents of insanity regarding miracle cures and founta ins of youth. I was recently researching the 17th insanity over the suppose d benefits of New World sassafras extracts in 17th century England. That ju nk was going for $25,000 per ton in today's dollars, it took about 50 years for them to finally catch on the stuff was worthless, and then another 375 years before it was established the essential ingredient of the oil, safro le, was carcinogenic, and it was completely banned in this country. Up unti l that time it was widely used in everything from making root beer, flavori ng medicine to bubblegum, lipsticks, and insect repellent. Finally the sass afras albidum caught some relief as it required 80,000 pounds of root to ma ke 50 gallons of the oil, the devestation was fairly extreme.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Yes, Freud never developed a usable therapy, imo, but he is the most researched psychologist of any. (in databases). I like his writing and his classical education. But he has been accused of denying childhood sex abuse by calling it projection. In his original Vienna circle, only he and Adler did not go insane. (!)

Modern psychiatry and their drugs are a hoax. The use of SSRI drugs among school and mass shooters is widespread. You see, to doctors, we are just a hunk of flesh without anything else. So a drug is needed to cure our ills. It's in the schools too!

Reply to
haiticare2011

ers from

stry.

ne.

I'd

vitamin

irin to act as a heart attack medicine.

to say

rs, but

cannot mmake claims not supported by scientific evidence aka a medically su pervised trial study. No one is preventing the pomegranate industry from co nducting these trials. You proably advocate that useless and dangerous che lation therapy too, long since debunked as ineffective and even dangerous. History is rife with incidents of insanity regarding miracle cures and foun tains of youth. I was recently researching the 17th insanity over the suppo sed benefits of New World sassafras extracts in 17th century England. That junk was going for $25,000 per ton in today's dollars, it took about 50 yea rs for them to finally catch on the stuff was worthless, and then another 3

75 years before it was established the essential ingredient of the oil, saf role, was carcinogenic, and it was completely banned in this country. Up un til that time it was widely used in everything from making root beer, flavo ring medicine to bubblegum, lipsticks, and insect repellent. Finally the sa ssafras albidum caught some relief as it required 80,000 pounds of root to make 50 gallons of the oil, the devestation was fairly extreme. &&& Actually, trials are too expensive for a fruit juice company. The cost can go up to 500 million dollars. If a pharma company like Pfizer has a promising drug which will only sell say 300m a year, they often will not apply for a trial, because of the high cost. This effectively precludes any supplement maker from even considering this route.

Yes, I heard that about safrole. It is used today to make illicit drugs. No , I don't advocate chelation therapy. It is used in some forms of lead poisonin g, I believe. I knew a doctor who was into it, and he died of a heart attac k.

Reply to
haiticare2011

The huge cost of such trials precludes lots of testing. Society needs a cheaper option, and it doesnt strike me as too hard to do.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

least

in C,

IIRC The original definition of RDA was the level at which 95% of populatio n does not show signs of severe deficiency. Now that's for each substance a lone - so if people all get the RDA for each nutrient, a large percentage w ill exhibit some sign of _severe_ deficiency.

RDA was never in any way based on best health levels, and still isn't.

You might get some interesting stuff from Health Defence by Dr. Paul Clayto n.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Nah, you're crazy, there is a big BIG difference between a naturally occurring health food supplement and a pharmaceutical or vaccine. Here's one where once again vitamn E leads to bad results, except if you're low on selenium:

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

it still costs

So take both and no harm, take the ATBC supplement protocol and cancers dropped. That's the point of such studies, find out what works and what doesnt.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

ct. Free speech and intellectual inquiry are an impossibility around you.

I do try to discourage "free speech" in the sense speech that propagates no nsense, free from any constraining real-world evidence. Recycling money-gru bbing propaganda from health food websites isn't exactly "intellectual inqu iry". Half-wits do tend to label their vapourings as "intellectual inquiry" which would be funny if it wasn't pathetic.

You may think you are responding, but actually you are reacting. There's no intellectual component to your reaction - it's just more half-baked prejud ice being paraded as if it were fact.

dehydrocholesterol present in the milk gets converted to cholecalciferol.

itional rickets a problem in minority communities, and the prevention requi res vitamin D supplementation.

The abstract doesn't seem to identify skin pigmentation as the major proble m. Minority communities also tend to get too much of their calorific intake fr om junk food, which is likely to be short on Vitamin D and 7-dehydrocholest erol.

akes place, so your informants were almost certainly telling you the truth.

ires UVB at 311 nm., and that wavelength is not present in geographical lo cations above 30 latitude, and gets less during winter months. This lack of 311 nm. radiation is responsible for the widespread deficiency, as well as the obvious fact that people don't walk around unclothed most of the year there. This problem is most severe in dark-skinned minorities. So your ide as are a form of racial prejudice against them, as their risk highest.

There's nothing magic about 311nm. Vitamin D synthesis does need wavelength s shorter than 320nm, and there isn't as much of that in "ordinary sunlight " at higher latitudes, but the difference between Trondheim, Norway at 60 d egrees North and Ghadames, Libya at 30 degrees North is a factor of three, so there's still quite a bit present.

My Russian friend (who now devises penguin-weighing machines for the Britis h Antarctic Survey) assured me that spending ten minutes per day outdoors w ithout gloves on Sakhalin Island (roughly 50 degrees North) was enough to s aturate your vitamin D photosynthesis system.

If you had a more heavily pigmented skin than the average Russian you might need a bit longer, but the real problem there would be the higher suscepti bility to frost-bite that is usually associated with the extra pigmentation (which is documented for US servicemen in Korea during the Korean War). Th e more heavily pigmented people would be less prone to take their gloves of f.

You are consistently gullible and ill-informed. I do find myself pointing t his out relatively frequently.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Do they ever get volunteers?