OT: Repairing keyboards

A week or so ago I knocked over a glass of Chardonnay into my keyboard. A couple of the keys are sticky but still functional. I'm thinking I'll just take it out on the patio and flush it out thoroughly with the garden hose. No big loss if it doesn't work. They're so cheap now-a-days.

Seen on a pick-em-up truck bumper when I just went out to Lowe's for some dimensional lumber for my wine glass rack...

That OBAMA STICKER on your car may as well say "I'm a Dumbass"

Of course I can't recall seeing _any_ Obama stickers since we moved out here in the country.. just cattle, horses, pick-em-up trucks, citrus farms and cotton and corn fields. ...Jim Thompson

On a sunny day (Thu, 26 Dec 2013 22:49:23 +0000) it happened No News wrote in :

It is not so.

These domes work as pumps. start: Release them and polluted air is sucked into the space below it, where it then reacts and leaves residue on the contact area, possibly even chemically reacting with it, when you press it again, the purified air comes out. So, yes remotes are environmentally friendly air cleaners, keep pushing. when you release it again go to start;

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Most clock and watch oils are based on mineral oil. The problem is that there's no such thing as a univeral clock oil that will work well with all parts of the clock or watch. This describes it in detail: My father used to repair watches and film cameras (mostly Leica) as a hobby of sorts. I learned quickly that using the proper lube is critical, especially after taking the camera on a skiing trip, and having the lube turn to tar. Look for low evaporation, constant viscosity with temperature, and non-acidic.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

No. But I'd probably notice if all my stuff was covered in an oozing oily gunky film.

I've seen it in multiple environments, in various products, of various manufacture--reputable brands--owned by different people, and in my own devices.

It only accumulates underneath the silicone keypad, between it and the pcb. If it were environmental it would be on the outside, not underneath.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Den fredag den 27. december 2013 00.49.12 UTC+1 skrev Jim Thompson:

apparently many people have succesfully used a disk washer (no detergent rinse only) so a garden hose is worth a try, just wait a week before you use it again

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

On a sunny day (Fri, 27 Dec 2013 11:30:40 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

See my other reply, the thing acts like a pump, when released sucks in polluted air, then next time you press it (next day?) pumps out purified air, as the stuff it sucked in has now formed a film or has reacted with the carbon? conductor...

Strange, I have never ever had that problem ever. I am not much of a remote presser though, but some of that kind of remotes I have had for 10 years, and those still work great. Neither have I had that as repair job when I had the TV repair shop.

Do not underestimate air pollution, I remember we encountered, in the old days, an IBM PC in a food processing plant, with a floppy for the communication with the PLC. The floppy,, when taken out, had carbon tracks on it, where the head was moving. A bit further down that industrial area was some coal processing plant. That was in Belgium, In the Netherlands the air is reasonably clean, even in Amsterdam, and especially in the area where I live. I have seen huge smog in the US, Germany too. So maybe there is the difference, I cannot imagine them using different stuff in remotes for here and over there, but who knows. Could be cooking oil or whatever too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I always have some denatured alcohol on hand for cleaning various parts, so I thought I'd give it a final rinse with 50%/50% water/alcohol. Plus I have the Arizona advantage... very low humidity, so it ought to dry quickly. ...Jim Thompson

Having been paid to provide circuit assistance in developing a Radon detector at ASU _many_ years ago, Radon is an overblown hazard... all you need is a good basement fresh air replenishment system... aka an exhaust fan ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I clean them in a utility sink. Stand them lengthwise against the side, and spray them with household ammonia, followed by distilled water in spray bottles. Let them drain for about 15 minutes, and let them dry in the hot Florida sun. I've never had any water damage that way.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That's assuming you have a basement. Most houses in the UK don't.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

So how does Radon collect? Porous flooring? ...Jim Thompson

Liberalism: A haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.

(Twisted Quotation from H.L. Mencken)

If all you need is an exhaust fan (I've heard that too, BTW), wouldn't that make radon an underblown hazard?

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I guess. From what the professors at ASU told me the gas accumulates, _slowly_, usually in basements, from seepage from underlying rock formations, but is easy to mitigate by flushing the area with fresh air. So a Radon detector is about as useful as solar panels without a government subsidy >:-} ...Jim Thompson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radon

"3.3 Accumulation in houses"
Reply to
John Fields

If you have spiders then you don't have radon. . at least that is what has been told for ages to me..

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

What if you have giant mutant spiders?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

:D That's the valid bottom line indeed. Even if you have radon there is no evidence it can harm you. The largest study, widely discussed about a decade ago on the radsafe mailing list, was that of Bernard Cohen; his results I think even showed some benefit from radon to the delight of the hormesis proponents (don't quote me on that last one though, I am sure only about the lack of harm; I only gathered what was talked about, never went into reading the study, radon is out of my area of interest there (gamma spectrometry)).

Back to the keyboards/keypads. The amount of oil I found was way too large to attribute to rubber decay let alone to air pollution. The things had been oiled by the manufacturer, I will be very very surprised if not. Then the oil film was even and quite sticky - it just looked like it had been put there on purpose.

Dimiter

------------------------------------------------------ Dimiter Popoff, TGI

dp

We keep them as pets >:-} ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

Then you better check the near by family grave site, you're kinfolk may not be there anymore!

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

And those buckling spring things aren't the most reliable ones. The best reliable, dirt/contamination resistant keyboards are the saturating-core magnetic switch types. More reliable than Hall sensors, they just have a little toroid that stops coupling the input and output windings (which are staples, one turn each) when the plunger-attached magnet gets near.

Reply to
whit3rd