Repairing CRT coil

Unsolder the coil, if you can, but either way cover the coils windings with hot glue. It will stop the high pitch squealing. Dani.

Mark Fortune wrote:

Reply to
Dani

Hi,

I have a computer monitor with a high pitched noise eminating from it from time to time, which has been happening ever since the cat puked in it a few years back. I believe it's one of the scan coils since I opened it up the other day and noticed the copper wire was coming loose (ie wasnt tightly wound any more). I cant quite understand how cat vom could cause this since there's no residue on the coil itself - but perhaps it caused a voltage spike that displaced the coil? I'm guessing on that really and it's beside the point, the monitor worked after the vom dried up and has been working fine since apart from that irritating noise and flyback lines at the top of the screen from time to time - this might be the timing capacitor but I need to go shopping for parts to fix that, and oddly the lines are occuring less frequently since I fidled with the coil last.

I am fairly certain that this is the cause of the noise as I did manage to tighten it a bit by pulling it tight and re-soldering the end, but it wasnt a complete fix. I am going to have a go at partly unwinding the coil at the weekend and winding it back up which should do the trick, but was thinking that applying some sort of adhesive would help it stay in place. Other newsgroup users have suggested a silicone sealant, and I noticed that I have some "hermetite instant gasket" left over from repairing my car. I am wondering if this would be suitable as it does describe itself as silicone rubber, but I thought i'd ask first to see if anyone else might know if this was a good idea or not. If it is, one final question... red or blue?

Reply to
Mark Fortune

Try spraying the coil with lacquer / varnish.

Reply to
JBT