OT. Refrigerator Blindness

Maybe not totally off topic, there is some speculation that EMI may cause this :-)

From CMJA The Case: Three male offspring, aged 9-14 years, of one of the authors (M.B.) were observed to experience visual problems profound enough to imply functional blindness. The visual deficit was evident on almost every occasion when any one of the children of this physician went to the refrigerator and opened the door. The acute visual problem encountered was noted to be part of a consistent behaviour pattern, wherein a few seconds after the fridge door was opened a cry would be...

Have fun, Mike

Reply to
mike

Sounds something like, "Someone has stolen my socks" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

= pdf file

Reply to
Winfield

This could be related to a phenomenon noted in intelligence tests conducted with primates. Orangutans (both female and male) were shown a miniature model of a room and the researcher placed a miniature of a can of fruit drink (which the animals were familiar with) in some location in the model. They were then led into a full sized room in which a can of drink had been placed in the analogous location. The test was intended to see if the orangutans made the connection between the model and actual room.

The female orangutans performed flawlessly, proceeding directly to the drink container. Male orangutans just stood there, staring at their handler.

I was watching this on a TV program with a female friend. She was delighted in what she clearly perceived to be a demonstration of superior female intelligence. Until I pointed out the flaw in the experiment's procedure. It turns out that the orangutan's handler was female. This clearly explained the hesitation on the part of the male orangutan. There was a drink to be fetched, there was a female (species unimportant) available to fetch it. What was she waiting for?

I slept on the sofa for the next few days.

At some point it becomes necessary to behead all the architects and
begin construction. -- Abi-Bar-Shim (Project Mgr. - Great Pyramid)
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I read parts of it to my wife at breakfast this morning, with breaks to keep her from expiring from respiratory arrest.

I guess it's just funnier if you're a woman...

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott