Totally not electronics

This is completely off topic but there do seem to be more (open) brains in here than most newsgroups.

If you fill in a circular toroid shape so that it is essentially a squashed sphere what is the correct name for the shape?

If you have difficulty imagining what I mean take a tyre off a car and fill in the two holes with plates or take a doughnut and fill it with cream (that's a more appealing option). :)

Reply to
Mjolinor

spheroid ?

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

"Mjolinor" wrote : This is completely off topic but there do seem to be more (open) brains in : here than most newsgroups. : : If you fill in a circular toroid shape so that it is essentially a squashed : sphere what is the correct name for the shape? : : If you have difficulty imagining what I mean take a tyre off a car and fill : in the two holes with plates or take a doughnut and fill it with cream : (that's a more appealing option). :)

A Disk?

Reply to
Roger Gt

squashed

Wow, now this question is drivng me crazy. I'd call it a closed torus, but I dont know if anyone would know what I meant. :) The 3d modeling program "3ds Max" calls it a type of "Chamfer cylinder".

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bott

oblate spheroid?

The good news is that nothing is compulsory. The bad news is that everything is prohibited.

Reply to
Charles Jean

--
Actually, I think it's called a squashed sphere!

Google "squashed sphere" for some interesting hits.
Reply to
John Fields

A radiused cylinder?

Reply to
JeffM

A Cream Doughnut?

squashed

fill it with cream

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

oblate ellipsoid of revolution

Reply to
H. Dziardziel

Does it matter _how_ flat the top and bottom are? What about Earth shaped?

According to..

...the earth is a "ellipsoid"

More here..

....but if you were to remove the flat bits the wouldn't be a "hole" due to the earths proportions.

squashed

fill

Reply to
CWatters

squashed

fill

I would call it one fine tastin' donut. You know, with the cream and all!. LOL

Reply to
Cowboy67

squashed

fill

Hmm, 10 replies and 10 different answers. Aside from the obviously correct (cream doughnut) there was onlly one without a question mark or exclamation mark so my money goes on "oblate ellipsoid of revolution".

FYI the question came up in another newsgroup I read that discusses LPG conversions on cars. Manufacturers have started producing these as a larger capacity tank than the normal toroid to sit in the spare wheel carrier and replace the spare wheel.

Reply to
Mjolinor