OT: PVC & Poly Pex

Not exactly electronics, but sci.*.design.

I was in a major home improvement store. A store clerk was helping a customer trying to figure out the plumbling connections. 't Clerk:"There are three types of connections: solderings, compressions and press fittings." Customer:"But they don't look like that." Clerk:"There are three types of connections. #1 ..." Customer:"I don't know this stuff, but they don't look like that." Clerk:"I've been a plumbler for 34 years. There are three types connections:..."

I was able to say "perhaps #4 P P P". But then i guess he needs to hire a real plumbler, perhaps one with less than 34 years of experiences.

Anyway, i need to join two male threaded Poly Pex fittings. The only available female threaded join is PVC. I know PVC is for cold water only. Would that be a problem? PVC female join is much stronger than PVC pipe. Only a small area inside the join is exposed to hot water. Even if the middle of the inside is melted, the sides should be secured. BTW, PVC melts at 158F. I don't think the hot water will be that hot.

Reply to
linnix

if you just need to connect two threaded fittings, why not use a brass fitting or something like that and be done with it, instead of messing around with something that might not work?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

be

Pure brass fittings are very expensive and hard to get. PVC fitting with brass insert is possible. Alternative, a rubber gasket in the middle to insulate the PVC from hot water (around 120F).

Reply to
linnix

How about a CPVC or brass or galvanized union

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

the whole part will heat up to close to the water temperature if the threads soften too much it could get messy

Can't you get brass with the same thread? (should that be bra$$) if you can't rotate on of the ends you'll need to use a pipe union.

what about chopping the ends off and using a pex-to-pex joiner?

Jasen.

Jasen Betts

ly

an

r.

ll be

what do you consider very expensive?, can probably get a 3/8" coupling in brass or stainless here for something like ~5$

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

I had to replace the base cabinet & do other repairs in my kitchen where someone used a PVC female fitting for the sink. It was spraying a mist so fine that I couldn't find the problem until I had removed the damaged base cabinet and cut off the female fittings. That's when the hairline crack spread the rest of the way and it snapped in half. Using the right valves & fittings would have cost about the same, but the 'Mr. Fixit' handyman the previous owner hired screwed up everything he touched. That was over $1,000+ in damage. It's your choice.

Michael A. Terrell

be

Unfortunately, there are reports of cracking brass and poly pex fittings as well. Copper leaks also. I guess there's a risk in any plumbling material. PVC fittings are twice as thick as poly pex. PVC pipes are filmsy, but fittings are rather strong.

Reply to
linnix

be

The water will probably be between 120F to 140F. What would be the safe temperature margin?

Reply to
linnix

It's not just melting---it could be embrittlement, leeching or any number of other things. The insurance companies tend to deny coverage when they find code violations; it's not worth the risk.

Can you just cut off the existing fittings and redo the whole thing using those sharkbite fittings?

Reply to
Przemek Klosowski

Even brass fitting can leak. I had one brass supply valve fail on the hot line 12 yrs ago, the cold valve failed last year. The supply valves were threaded 1/2 to 1/4 compression and they both split across the 1/2 threads. Unless my duffus plumber over torqued them I'd say cheap materials/design was the cause.

--
They can have my command prompt when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.
Reply to

The biggest problem is mixing types. There are warnings not to use female PVC fittings with metal, yet I see them fairly often. Alos, you see that the end of the pipe and the fitting have been replaced. Wonder why? :)

Michael A. Terrell

Either over tightened, or they froze. Valves leak. Lucas would be proud of how many leak. That's why the sell valve packing material & new valves. You wouldn't want to buy industrial grade pipe & valves for your bathroom.

Michael A. Terrell