Public repositories of service and technical manuals?

So often requests for manuals and schematics in the newsgroups go unanswered; here is a request for readers to post any links or other references to public repositories of service and technical literature (such as public or private libraries, collections, archived websites, etc.) that are alternatives to costly and often poor quality commercial manual sellers.

We used to have libraries in our area that maintained large collections of electronic service literature, but downsizing has altered that option considerably.

Do you all have any local libraries that have large or useful collections of Riders, SAMS, or mfg. specific manuals (perhaps donated by ex-employees, etc.)? If so, posting this data will allow cooperating libraries to inquire about inter-library loans.

Michael

Reply to
msg

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 15:43:35 -0600, msg put finger to keyboard and composed:

alternatives

I notice that sometimes manuals are sent by one individual to another via private communication. I would like to suggest that such manuals be uploaded to public archives such as eserviceinfo.com so that everyone may benefit. How many times have we found a reference to a manual in an old forum post where the link to the manual has expired?

I maintain a list of my own paper and electronic manuals on my own web site. Several people have contacted me and asked for particular manuals on those lists. I have then uploaded the requested manuals to eserviceinfo.com.

I also have lots of old loose leaf datasheets which I should probably scan and make available to datasheetarchive.com. Some appear to be quite rare. It would be nice if there were some kind of centralised Gutenberg Project that archived old technical data for posterity. It would be a terrible shame if old IP disappeared forever.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar