OT: Presbyopia, or "Old Guy Eyes"

So find out why their lives are so horrible that they so desperately need to escape into drugs. Are they getting everything they need from Mommy and Daddy except Love?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

In my Sci-fi trilogy it was on Pluto instead of Mars. One way trip, and no guards needed.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Their lives are horrible because of the drugs. There's no deep psychology, no primal parental conflict. They tried drugs, as many young people do, but their chemistry led them to addiction. The addiction *is* the problem. Heroin, cocaine, speed, crack, all those things are synthetic chemicals that our evolution didn't prepare us to cope with. We at least have some thousands of years experience with alcohol.

John

Temptation has no threshold. To begin with, let's ban video games.

So are TVs, cellphones, chats, mp3 players, cars, icecream and s.e.design newsgroup. Some folks are still in the stone age, the others haven't yet evolved from primates.

Ideal society:

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

That's the all-or-nothing thinking of the warmakers.

Why not teach women to not accept a drink that they didn't see the bartender pour, or pour themselves?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

So, how will doing violence to them improve their lot?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Gunner Asch on Sun, 10 Oct 2010 18:23:57 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

It is said that "pot" is a gateway drug to the "hard stuff" It maybe true, a friend claims they went from pot to tobacco. But the argument that pot use leads to "hard drugs" has a flaw in it. Namely, that because pot is illegal, you naturally are expose to the more addictive "hard drugs" which are in the same distribution channels. If pot were legalized,taxed and sold in the local package store, users would not be in "contact" with those dealing in other, more addictive, compounds.

Sigh, it is not an "easy" subject.

tschus pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Then, you'd have a place to go for your 'issues comma personal'.

Bwuahahahaha!

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Are you suggesting that Nymbecile is stupid? :-)

Reply to
warm'n'flat

Oxygen not required.

Reply to
JW

Plants availible at extra charge. ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

So the women who've been victims of it are somehow responsible for the guys putting it into their drinks???

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Well, if you're in a pick-up bar, and some stranger walks up and offers you a drink, say, "No, thanks."

Yes, they are responsible for accepting an unknown drink from an unknown man and drinking it - these guys aren't accused of holding the women down and forcing the stuff down their throats, are they?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It's awfully close to accusing the victim of accessory to (her own) rape because she wore suggestive clothes.

Reply to
krw

I see you're dodging the question: Is the victim somehow responsible for the guy putting the drug into the drink?

Let's look at it another way, that seems more to your liking. Suppose the guy is arrested and goes to trial for the date rape. Is "she didn't refuse the drink that was offered" exculpatory? Is it a factor that would/should reduce his sentence if he is found guilty?

You imply that it is perfectly acceptable for the guy to put anything he wants to in the drink, as long as he doesn't force the victim to drink it. Deplorable.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

He's Greasy. What else can you say? ...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

No, but she IS responsible for drinking it, you nincompoop!

Don't you believe that a women have the power to say, "No, thanks!"?

What was she trying to accomplish by accepting this unknown drink from a stranger?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich the Cynic

He's just trying to justify his lack of morals.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Again, you divert from the point. The foolishness here is your belief that the woman's refusal of the drink prevents the crime. The guy who put the date rape drug in the drink is morally, legally and disgustingly wrong, *before* the woman accepts the drink, refuses the drink, or shoots the guy with a gun for attempting to rape her. The crime of attempted rape takes place the instant the guy offers the drink containing the drug to the woman.

Your suggested remedy does not address that disgusting, criminal and immoral act.

Using a drug to attempt to rape a woman is ILLEGAL. Using a gun to attempt to rape a woman is ILLEGAL. Using a knife to attempt to rape a woman is ILLEGAL. Attempting to rape a woman by *any* means is ILLEGAL.

You can add the words disgusting, reprehensible, revolting, sickening, unconscionable, repugnant, vomitous, abhorrent, detestable following ILLEGAL in the sentences above. And implying that the woman's acceptance of the drink is at the root of the problem is all of those things, and more.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Only a nanny state lover believes that any person of any gender need not be responsible for their own safety and defense.

I don't remember you being solidly in that category.

Reply to
joseph_barrett